• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Something about both being "business minded" or having a "CEO style approach" to his coaching. That kinda stuff is always really cheesy to me. 

That'd make about as much sense to me as "yeah, he was once a fry cook and he dresses sloppy" 😕

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

7 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Something about both being "business minded" or having a "CEO style approach" to his coaching. That kinda stuff is always really cheesy to me. 

Yes but was he a short order cook that is the important question. We better not go after these coaches no one has ever heard of.  

• Beer 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That'd make about as much sense to me as "yeah, he was once a fry cook and he dresses sloppy" 😕

Yeah Tepper needs to go on Undercover Boss-Panthers edition before he starts rationalizing any more staffing hires based on irrelevant things he personally can relate to. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

For whatever reason, It doesn't seem to want to give him the defensive coordinator title.

It basically means that he can interview for DC jobs elsewhere even though he's technically already doing the job.

Kinda dumb, but yeah. Belichick is his own person.

(even when that person might be stupid)

Isn't Belichick's son also involved in the defense there. Might not want to officially make him an underling.  Yea, I agree...dumb.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I'm not put off my J.Mayo at all. I kinda like what Dan Campbell has done out there in Detroit. Former players that can be good coaches seem to have a certain "it" factor. If Mayo can lead like Campbell and assemble a good stuff, I'm all aboard. I think people get too stuck on offensive coach vs defensive. You need the right coach, McDermott is a great example of this. That offense functions and he is smart enough to know to not go the conservative route. I think recent former players understand the new NFL better anyways, they played it. They know conservative O and calls don't win games anymore. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

I'm not put off my J.Mayo at all. I kinda like what Dan Campbell has done out there in Detroit. Former players that can be good coaches seem to have a certain "it" factor. If Mayo can lead like Campbell and assemble a good stuff, I'm all aboard. I think people get too stuck on offensive coach vs defensive. You need the right coach, McDermott is a great example of this. That offense functions and he is smart enough to know to not go the conservative route. I think recent former players understand the new NFL better anyways, they played it. They know conservative O and calls don't win games anymore. 

Unfortunately, I've heard similar things said about other coaches from The Belichick tree.

The ones who leave that nest just never seem to accomplish anything away from it.

• Beer 2

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Unfortunately, I've heard similar things said about other coaches from The Belichick tree.

The ones who leave that nest just never seem to accomplish anything away from it.

I do think Mayo could break the mold and would be an intriguing HC candidate. I don't think he's a serious contender for the Panthers job, but anecdotally it seems like recent ex-LBs have made for some pretty good coaching candidates (Vrabel, Ryans).

47 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I would think this is more like a Vrabel then a Patricia/McDaniels. High level former player I think makes a big difference. Those guys were leaders on the field too. It makes a difference if you can translate that to coaching. 

• Pie 1

Why is several media people all of a sudden concentrating on the LB coach of the Patriots for HC that no one has ever heard of and he is acting like he is an emerging potential top choice. 
All indications is Tepper wants a OC as coach and the only DC I would accept is Ryan’s. 
Also when has a Patriots coach ever made a good HC?

• Pie 1