• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

Did he ever work as a short order cook by chance?

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

Where's Hurney? We need an outside consultant immediately to switch on recruiting mode behind the scenes before the Giants[edit: obviously not them but whomever we actually are competing with for coaches next year] get wind of our plans

Even more frightening is that all his experience prior to being a head coach is on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Pie 3

Just now, Sgt Schultz said:

Even more frightening is that all his experience prior to being a head coach is on the offensive side of the ball. 

Wow you've really outsmarted the league here... Seen right into Teppers true plans of genius.  Misdirection at its finest. Why waste our time on some low ceiling OC that has transformed young seemingly mediocre QBs into excellent players when we can get someone that really understands the process?

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Thompcat said:

Is anyone else surprised on how many interviews are set up? I  would have thought that they would have over the last 12 weeks gotten the list down to 4 or 5. 

I think they started with a much, much larger list and this is what's left of it.

Appears to be a mix of previous experience and new up and comers, mostly leaning towards offense. Seems like a good pool so far 

26 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Of course, they are yet to disclose the frontrunner:  Paul McGonagle.  He's the very successful head coach of the Endicott College Power Gulls.  6-0 this year in the Commonwealth Coast Conference, 10-1 overall with their only loss being a nail-biter to Springfield in the NCAA D3 playoffs.  He's never had a record in his four seasons at Endicott. 

And I hear his wife makes a great meat loaf.

Gawd, I hope Tepper is not reading this!

Before I have Mrs Tepper sign off on this candidate I have one question.  Exactly HOW great is his wife's meat loaf???  Inquisitive minds want to know.

• Pie 1

Someone mentioned this on twitter, but Mrs. Tepper saw her husband get bamboozled by Rhule because he was a slob and she's like I got this one.  So far the interview requests have been spot on.  I'm sure Fitt is going to make his recommendation on the football side, but she probably has a good judge of character.  I'm willing to give her a shot.   

• Pie 4

The cynical part of me (which these days is the biggest part, especially when the Panthers are concerned) wonders if the determination of the size of the interview pool is largely for show.  Like, Tepper making a public statement saying "we're not as dumb as we looked the first time."

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The cynical part of me (which these days is the biggest part, especially when the Panthers are concerned) wonders if the determination of the size of the interview pool is largely for show.  Like, Tepper making a public statement saying "we're not as dumb as we looked the first time."

I would say there's a lot of truth in that. He as much as admitted it in his last press conference. 

• Beer 1

The only way the next Panthers HC doesn't have an offensive background is if they decide to promote Wilks to the full-time job. Even if they interview someone like Ryans, Ejiro, or Quinn, I don't think any of those candidates have a real shot. The only wild card candidate I could see being hired would be Raheem Morris given he has previous HC experience and has worked on both sides of the ball.

14 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Here's what we do know about Wilks head coaching results. 

Year 1, as a first time head coach he managed to get his team to win 3 games out of 16.  Did he have full support or was he just too inexperienced? Either way the results are not good, but it's where we start. Too many unknown factors to use otherwise. 

Year 2, his second chance at being a head coach he managed to get a team (you know the situation so I'm not rehashing it) to win half it's games. 

From a nonbiased perspective I would say that looks to be a trend upward.  With mostly someone else's mess. So I would not say he couldn't do it if he got a real shot to build his own mess for the first time. But I would prefer he not make a mess of things.  Although it would be hard to imagine it could get any worse. 

I went back and looked at that Cardinals year.  He won 3 games and lost 4 games by 3 points or less.

Their QB was a top 10 rookie who managed 11tds and 14 ints with a QBR of 24.3.  He was out of the league within 3 years.

The next year - with a new coach and shiny new #1 QB, they managed 5 wins.

I would give very little weight to his head coaching experience in AZ, other than on-the-job learning. 

• Beer 3