• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

9th pick set in stone

t96

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Feel free to point out the Luke Keuchly in this draft.

No. You know I can't and neither can anyone else on this board. 

But then ....... no one knew he was the "Luke Keuchly"  in his draft either.

I'm staying out of this argument. It's all a closely studied crap shoot.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, GRWatcher said:

But then ....... no one knew he was the "Luke Keuchly"  in his draft either.

I mean, he was easily the #1 rated linebacker and by and large was considered the safest pick in the draft and had an amazing combine.  I'd say most people actually expected him to be a great player.

Still don't think we've seen a MLB prospect as good as him since.

• Pie 2

The plan will be trade up for a quarterback or bust.

Chicago will try and move back one spot with Houston, if possible, to acquire more draft capital. From there, they'll probably want to move the second overall pick with a trade to Indianapolis. Now, this doesn't mean we don't have a shot, it just means it's going to cost a lot.

Okay, so a few things can happen to make the scenario more or less likely. Free agency being very important for Chicago. They'll try to move to improve their interior defensive line, which will be possible. If they can target and sign the players they want then the Colt's DeForest Buckner will start to look much less enticing than our D.J. Moore. Especially since wide receivers won't be readily available in free agency as interior defensive linemen.

Beyond free agency there's also a small possibility that Indianapolis starts to covet a defensive player, or alternatively eyes a second-tier quarterback such as Levis. This will weaken whatever offer they manage, which I imagine will be the fourth overall pick, next year's first overall pick, and DeForest Buckner. There's also an outside possibility of the second-best defensive player in the draft being rated not far behind players available at Carolina's pick by Chicago.

Now the Panthers, Tepper, I feel are in quarterback or bust mode. Regardless of what the next coach thinks, they're not getting the full 3 (7?) year rebuild. We're already five years deep into the franchises worst losing streak, all under Tepper's control. Tepper will be willing to move quite a lot of picks, and possibly players (D.J. Moore) to finally acquire a young, talented, quarterback.

Watching what Chicago does in free agency will be very telling as to Carolina's chances at moving up.

Oh, and I guess the alternative to this is Tom Brady, or miss out on both and probably actually go into tear down tank mode next year. I don't think Lamar Jackson will seriously be available.

If the tear down scenario happens we'll have a mini-circus with quite a lot press conferences, referring to whatever 'plan' they'll have to spin. 🤷‍♀️

But that would be the worst case scenario for Tepper. He wouldn't be able to show his face in public.

Edited by Krovvy

17 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Scouts are saying that AR needs to sit not one, but TWO years.  Sounds like an awesome plan!

So I Guess they have already spoken to him and know his development speed. 

IDK how long he needs to develop or if he ever will, and neither do they.  

Its just moronic to say a guy needs to sit two years without even knowing how fast he learns new things and what kind of coach he will end up with.