• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pray for Tee Higgins as well.

panthers55

6 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

One person largely forgotten is Tee Higgins, the Bengal receiver  Hamlin tackled. He is getting criticism from some circles and is apparently wracked with guilt. I have read he hasn't left the hospital since the accident happened.

It wasn’t malicious, it was just football. It was a freak incident which the odds of happening are so astronomical on so many fronts. I don’t know how any one could blame him. Good on him for staying at the hospital.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 3

Yeah, blaming that kid is beyond dumb.

I do think this incident will likely lead to rule changes regarding offensive players leading with the helmet though. But that's no reason to blame Tee Higgins for doing something that is a legal play under the current rules and happens dozens of times in every football game at every level.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

For anybody interested, here is a link to a story with how Hamlin's family feels:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/damar-hamlins-family-frustrated-by-criticism-of-bengals-tee-higgins/

I feel for Tee Higgins.  That same situation happens several times every game.  People have some strange need to assess blame, and if there is none to be assessed that does not stop them.  Then, give them access to social media and relative anonymity and it goes haywire.

• Pie 6

The fact that Tee Higgins is staying at the hospital speaks highly of him.

I hope he can get some professional guidance that will help relieve and easy his mind over this horrible life threating accident.

Meanwhile, my prayers go out to both players, their families and teams.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I do think this incident will likely lead to rule changes regarding offensive players leading with the helmet though.

Its already illegal to initiate contact with the crown of the helmet irrespective of whether its an offensive or defensive player.

But in principle I believe you are right and we will see some rules tweaking to "prevent" this once in a generation (or more) freak accident from happening again.

• Pie 1

bart scott should have kept that opinion to himself.

anyone else with that opinion should as well. it's a crappy take, but then you think of the consequences of voicing that opinion when it really does no good whatsoever...it's really just not worth it.

• Pie 3

He wasn't doing anything unusual or wrong.  There are plays we sometimes might feel were deliberate to hurt someone... This was nothing at all like that. Even without the dumbasses blaming him I am sure he would feel guilty, as I think any sane human would. But he did nothing wrong at all.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Tee Higgins went to high school right near where I live.  He has come by one of our dealerships several times before he went to Clemson and he actually came by after he was drafted.  He had his G-Wagon detailed and is always a super polite, humble man.  He has the same polite, reserved personality he had in high school still after making it pro.  I can't say enough nice things about the man and anyone blaming him is just running their mouths trying to stir up ratings at the expense of a bright young man with a good future.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

36 minutes ago, Cullenator said:

Its already illegal to initiate contact with the crown of the helmet irrespective of whether its an offensive or defensive player.

But in principle I believe you are right and we will see some rules tweaking to "prevent" this once in a generation (or more) freak accident from happening again.

It's just never called so it might as well not exist. It'll be like the change in focus on illegal contact by the defense. Yeah, it was always there but if the flags don't fly then does it actually matter?