• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Schedule Options After Last Night

Sgt Schultz

No matter what they do, it will not be the right decision, even if it is the right decision.  The league has gotten into the situation of trying to keep everybody happy in the last 10-15 years, and that is an impossible task.  It usually leads to making everybody unhappy. 

The problem is they really don't have the luxury of time, due to the logistics involved with the playoffs.  The playoff sites and pairings are still up in the air right now.  If something is going to change or move, it pretty much needs to happy no later than Sunday. 

There are basically four teams directly affected by what they decide.  They are probably communicating with all of them, as they should. 

Maybe I'm being stupid here, but I have more faith in their ability to come up with a decent solution than I do them figuring out what constitutes a catch.  Then again, the Competition Committee is not involved in this (most likely), so it has a chance of working out for the better.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

No you don't. This is one of thos rare times when just playing the game again cause way too many issues than it solves. What will the tie actually change in the standings???  Whether you declare a tie or just cancel it the result is the same if you use winning percentage  which is being seriously discussed. 

Do people on here really not understand math? Buffalo is 12-3, a .800 win rate. KC is 13'3, a .818 win rate. Before Sunday, when they had the same record. Buffalo held the tiebreaker on a head to head game. If Buffalo is not allowed to play and try to win to pull even and hold the tiebreaker again, they get robbed of a 1sr rd bye.

Winning percentage becomes the most obvious method. But there are concerns about equity, given that the winner of the Bills-Bengals game would have been in position to be one of the top seed AFC seeds.

One possibility would be to add an eighth team to the playoff field in the AFC. This would eliminate the bye for the No. 1 seed.

To ensure competitive balance, there would have to be eight teams in the NFC, too.

The NFL Players Association would have to agree to a temporary expansion of the playoff field.

However it plays out, a decision needs to be made soon — especially if the playoff field will unexpectedly grow, in both conferences. It changes the dynamics for the teams vying for playoff positioning.

The NFL could look to expand the playoff fields to 8 teams, with the Bills-Bengals game not being made up.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/05/nfl-ponders-playoff-seeding-without-playing-bills-bengals/

Edited by trueblade

22 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Do people on here really not understand math? Buffalo is 12-3, a .800 win rate. KC is 13'3, a .818 win rate. Before Sunday, when they had the same record. Buffalo held the tiebreaker on a head to head game. If Buffalo is not allowed to play and try to win to pull even and hold the tiebreaker again, they get robbed of a 1sr rd bye.

I told you it was going to either be declared a tie or cancelled. It was cancelled. Here us how they are proceeding. 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals-sports-nfl-football-0aaf8589e7bc364a6625b19eb48f3233

19 hours ago, t96 said:

It sucks for the Bills especially since it's their teammate who went down but they were losing that game, just give Cincy the win and leave it at that.

Yeah because the Bills have never come back from a 4 point deficit this year. That would never even be considered by anyone but Cincy fans. 

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I told you it was going to either be declared a tie or cancelled. It was cancelled. Here us how they are proceeding. 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals-sports-nfl-football-0aaf8589e7bc364a6625b19eb48f3233

Then all AFC games have to be canceled for last weekend. Nobody won, nobody lost. 

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Thanks for posting that.

My major reservation is this: other than the coin toss between the Bengals and Ravens, it is close to what I said they could do with the neutral site AFCC if two of the three teams most impacted make that game.  The fact that this was decided by the competition committee tells me it must be wrong somehow, even though it is similar to my own idea.  Where did I go wrong?