• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB: Breer on Wilks/potential OC candidate

*FreeFua*

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I don't really think Wilks is a dominant enough defensive coach that we can afford to wait for an inexperienced play caller to get up to speed.

I'd much rather have somebody like Reich.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't really think Wilks is a dominant enough defensive coach that we can afford to wait for an inexperienced play caller to get up to speed.

I'd much rather have somebody like Reich.

There is no substitute for actual game day experience calling plays.  Reich has this.  Bring him home.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

The only problem with a defensive head coach is the constant turnover of offensive coordinators and their systems.

It's difficult to find consistency unless Wilks has a strong idea of exactly what kind of offense he wants to run, and from there what type of offensive coordinator he wants to hire. It can be difficult to find consistency.

5 hours ago, BeenPounding said:

Looking back, was Joe Brady really a failure?  Our offense was more productive that it was at the beginning of the season with less talent.  Rhule micro-managing everything, leaving when Brady is working in lock step with Cam - then firing him as he is game planning was a horsepoo move.

Someone with a philosophy like Greg Roman would be perfect.  You know Wilks will hire someone as an assistant who has experience so the OC could be progressive with an old head assisting him.  Pep Hamilton would be a great choice.  Heck Brian Johnson would be pretty cool if you could pair him with an experienced OC coach like Mike Shula.

Yes he was

Please don’t do this.. Don’t fall into the same trap of hiring inexperienced ppl especially with this owner and Wilkes not establishing himself yet as a HC.. 

Also as a defensive guy handing  your offense to inexperienced coach is a recipe for disaster..

If Wilkes was a offensive guru maybe.. But as a defensive coach background you have no safe guards when this guy fugs up..

Edited by WOW!!

My totally not-based-on-anything guesses that I think happen if Wilks gets the gig full-time:

1. He probably only agrees to it if he can be aggressive and get the QB he wants whether by FA, trade or draft...he's already lived through Josh Rosen and knows that a 2nd season is not a guarantee. Future picks will almost certainly be traded. He is not leaning on Corral or Sam to secure his job. His role in the lawsuit probably helps his case to mortgage the future too.

2. He hires a proven leader as OC, and maybe a name we haven't heard in a while like David Shaw or Jim Caldwell. Again, following the "leader of men" model who he can turn the offense over to.

3. Players come to Charlotte who ordinarily would not have. He's clearly highly regarded by players--even those not on the team--some of which are vocal about him deserving a shot. Maybe even one quality name that meets a need like Gesicki or Engram.

4. Panther Greats get formal roles with the team--maybe also on the coaching staff. Peppers, Luke, Thomas Davis, maybe 89. At minimum, they're back in the building frequently.

5. He makes underrated moves with coaches and players to focus on making special teams much more explosive to win the field position game.

• Beer 3