• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB: Breer on Wilks/potential OC candidate

*FreeFua*

Carolina Panthers could target Brian Johnson

It’s hard not to be impressed with the Philadelphia Eagles this season. They look primed for a deep Super Bowl run and this could mean some admiring glances are cast on their impressive coaching staff working behind Nick Sirianni.

If the Carolina Panthers go down this route, then Brian Johnson is an intriguing offensive coordinator option in 2023. The quarterbacks’ coach came into the fold from the Florida Gators in 2021 and immediately began working his magic with Jalen Hurts, who is a legitimate NFL MVP candidate after a sensational campaign to date.

Johnson is less experienced than most and has never called plays at the NFL level. But he is progressive and could assist with the development of whatever signal-caller Carolina drafts next spring.

• Pie 6
  • Flames 1

I remember the Iggles really highly touting him towards the start of the season through some publication online.  Need to look it up but it was a hype article for him on how Steichen is kind of the awkward brain child and Brian is more of the hands-on guy that helps with every facet.  Anytime there's a team that experiences their type of season, there's more than just one person responsible.  

Also as retweeted above, his UF history with Richardson is interesting!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Eagles QB coach had crossed my mind too awhile back so I looked him up. Oh wee mayne does he seriously lack experience in terms of getting an NFL OC job. Not sure we'd be apt to go that route after the Joe Brady experiment.

True, experience is limited so it would be a swing.  

On the flipside, we could pursue someone like Bevell in Miami who would be a solid hire.  I believe he was a rumored OC for Wilks back when he took the AZ job.

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Pep Hamilton is flying under the radar because Houston is so bad, but he developed Herbert his rookie year and helped develop Luck at Stanford and Indianapolis.  I'm not sure is he is familiar with Wilks and it's a lateral move, but I think he is a good option as well.

Didn't Pep attend West Charlotte as well? I am sure those guys know each other well.

• Pie 3

I have a hard time believing that the Eagles would watch their OC walk and then their their next potential OC walk in the same offseason. When they lose Steichen, and they will, they will promote that guy most likely to their OC.

Just hire Steichen as HC is the most obvious best option. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 5

In theory you would love for your new OC to have multiple years of calling plays but the Joe Brady failure has made some folks uneasy. I get that but it's important to put it in perspective and remember this offense is night day with the same players due to Rhule's ass backwards way of doing things and all the college scheme nonsense. We will have a number of options and we should weigh them all carefully. But it's equally as important we pinpoint who will develop our next QB.

• Pie 2