• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq Thompson shedding some light about Rhule and Wilks.

Ivan The Awesome

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

Rhule came in, shooed away Panther legends, tried to erase the Panther culture of keep pounding, all in only 3 years. Worst HC in NFL history.

He is not the worst in history but he was a predictable flop.  College coaches don't belong trying to run NFL football teams.  It doesn't work.  A guy needs some kind of street cred for gorwn athletes making millions to buy in.  But even more important the guy needs an NFL staff.  And if a guy is a college football lifer, he will most likely lack the connections to get the staff that he needs to succeed.

The idea that college coaches can jump up to the NFL should have died already.  The main thing that keeps teams trying it is Pete Carroll.  News flash...Pete Carroll is not a college coach.  Pete is an NFL coach that spent some time in major college football.  Wrap your mind around that and guys like Matt Rhule will never happen again.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

What you read publicly isn’t always true. Especially in the sports world. 

Definitely true.  But other players were less Publicly supportive. Not saying he did request a trade because Rhule was fired, but the timing would fit a request for one reason or another 

3 hours ago, OldhamA said:

I wonder if his teammates got sick of the fact that he was constantly on the sidelines?

Also the former DMVP has to be Kuechly, right? He was around the building for a year or so under Rhule's tenure. 

Peppers was working with the team too, IIRC, since he retired.  Could've been one or any combo of Kuechly, Pep, and/or Gilmore.  And it doesn't surprise me one bit...  every one of those guys distanced themselves pretty quickly under the Rhule regime.  I think they all saw it wasn't going to reflect well on anyone associated with them.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

What you read publicly isn’t always true. Especially in the sports world. 

Shaq also said superbowl winner so I’m thinking it was Gilmore 

I will say in the interviews I watched last season from Gilly he seemed over it from very early on.  Again, I think these accomplished guys saw all the amateur poo going on and just rode it out or left.  I think the only reason Gilmore entertained coming back is because it was home, and he did share before that it was a dream for him to come back and play for his hometeam. Was probably hoping Rhule would get canned early if he did.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, ickmule said:

Matt Rhule is the single worst thing to ever happen to the Panthers. This roster, even with all the trades and QB problems, is a playoff roster. Rhule just chucklefuged the entire operation for almost 3 season. fug that asshole. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

CMC was publicly a big supporter of Rhules. It's possible he requested a trade when we fired Rhule...  I can't imagine him having Been a distraction though,  we didn't see any blow ups like with Robby.

You think CMC was a bigger supporter of Rhule than he was of the organization? It always seemed forced to me, anytime he said something nice about Rhule. 

• Beer 2

38 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

You think CMC was a bigger supporter of Rhule than he was of the organization? It always seemed forced to me, anytime he said something nice about Rhule. 

CMC has always been the most vanilla say the right thing to the media player I can remember. I really doubt him getting traded had anything to do with his personal feelings about Rhule

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Nah, but it's possible he wanted out when he saw our direction of being 1-5 and firing our HC.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 1

Tepper needs to take a long look in the mirror and admit he does not possess the judgment or ability to call shots like he has been and humble himself to looking for help. That includes NOT being lazy and sticking with wilks barring a playoff win. Because he likely isn’t the answer. The sooner he does that the quicker we can turn around. 

He is inept. he’s solidified the worst stretch in franchise history. One more move like Rhule and you can bet the culture will engrained itself and there will be a point of no return. The browns have done it, lions too. And at that point, it’s incredibly hard to turn things around.

Edited by onmyown
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Christian just wants the ball as much as possible and Rhule's the best man for that job.

From Shaq's comments I take it Rhule pushed the old guard aside to assert his authority while giving his favorites free reign to do whatever. Robby was allowed to act out unchecked and Christian got the ball every snap whether it was working or not.

• Beer 1