• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

I'm not against drafting a QB

I'm against completely abandoning Corral 

I'm against giving Sam a huge longterm deal.

I'm also against giving up on Sam if he takes us to the playoffs especially if he wins a game. If he does this he deserves a chance to keep growing despite what else we have in the QB room

Depends on how he wins us the game.  The Chiefs moved on from Smith to Mahomes because they knew they needed more than a game manager to win it all and be a constant threat.  Hell they even traded up for Mahomes (who was pretty raw and had a huge ceiling)

2020 Panthers pick up Sam's 5th year and pass on Jones and Fields

2022 Panthers going to extend Sam and pass on another QB again???

Let's not keep repeating our mistakes.... Our very recent mistakes.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Depends on how he wins us the game.  The Chiefs moved on from Smith to Mahomes because they knew they needed more than a game manager to win it all and be a constant threat.  Hell they even traded up for Mahomes (who was pretty raw and had a huge ceiling)

What part of my post said don't draft a QB.

But I'll be goddammed if any QB drafted moves automatically to the top of my depth chart. Especially if I have a QB that just went 6-2 with a playoff win.

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Seems high.  For how many years??

Does it?  Perhaps if we look at it with tunnel vision (only at our team), it does.  But if you look at numbers around the league, it doesn't seem like so much.  Heck, Carson Wentz is making 30 million a year, and I would much rather have Darnold than Wentz.  

I mean if you look at the average qb salary in the NFL this year, that will place him about 20th or so on the list.  And a lot of guys that are beneath him are on their rookie contract, so they might be passing him in a couple of years. If we give him a 3 year contract, it would mean that by 2025, he would be one of the lowest paid starters in the league (assuming he is still our starter).  

As I said, it would be slightly above what Marcus Mariota makes this year, but he has had a better year than MM.   

No more than 3 or 4 years, with as much cap hit as possible front loaded.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

What part of my post said don't draft a QB.

But I'll be goddammed if any QB drafted moves automatically to the top of my depth chart. Especially if I have a QB that just went 6-2 with a playoff win.

A first round QB is going to be treated like the future at the position. Of course the vet starts at the depth chart, but when the rookie is ready he will get his shot unless Darnold becomes Brady in one offseason. Smith wasn’t playing bad when Mahomes was worked into the lineup. It takes some elite play to prevent a first round pick from getting his chance.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Well so far Jones looks overawed by the NFL and Fields has been poor (with the occasional flash of brilliance) and is getting more and more banged up.

I'm all for going after your Franchise QB in the Draft, I'm not interested in taking whichever one is left at your pick just because.

18 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

We're going to have to bite the bullet on a short term deal with Sam. Even with a draft pick and Corral there's too much uncertainty at the position to just let him walk, we'd likely replace him with another vet anyway.

But that has been the assumption up until now, anyway. 

The way I see this, all Darnold has done is throw his name in the mix for who that vet will be.  Up until now, it was clear the room and start over, with Corral remaining since he was not even in the room when we cleared it.

I need to see Darnold in positions to make his past bad decisions and see him NOT make them before I am willing to say he is the odds-on favorite as the vet we will need.  What we don't need is a vet who listens to the devil on his shoulder whenever he is in one of those situations.  As of now, we have kept him out of them.

Until we see that, if somebody wants to pony up more money for him, fine, move on to what is behind door #2.  Keep in mind, the goal is to replace the vet who presumably starts week one as the starter by the end of the season.  These are not the second comings of Joe Montana we are talking about, these are guys we have to keep our offense within the limits they impose.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

A first round QB is going to be treated like the future at the position. Of course the vet starts at the depth chart, but when the rookie is ready he will get his shot unless Darnold becomes Brady in one offseason. Smith wasn’t playing bad when Mahomes was worked into the lineup. It takes some elite play to prevent a first round pick from getting his chance.

Lol Smith doesn't have the guts or tools of Sam. 

Look at this throw. DJ should have stayed in bounds.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QTdP5Hh5nJw?feature=share

45 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Well so far Jones looks overawed by the NFL and Fields has been poor (with the occasional flash of brilliance) and is getting more and more banged up.

I'm all for going after your Franchise QB in the Draft, I'm not interested in taking whichever one is left at your pick just because.

Mac looked decent with an actual OC and Fields has flashed with very little around him. The arrow is trending up for Fields, but he still a working progress.

44 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Lol Smith doesn't have the guts or tools of Sam. 

Look at this throw. DJ should have stayed in bounds.

https://youtube.com/shorts/QTdP5Hh5nJw?feature=share

This is where it gets hard to take you seriously. So far Sam has been a decent game manager with a strong rushing game. Smith was a much better game manager than Darnold has been so far. You cherry pick one throw and act like that somehow proves he is a better QB. I’m sure Jamarcus Russell made an elite throw or two, but you have to look at the entire body of work….

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

This is where it gets hard to take you seriously. So far Sam has been a decent game manager with a strong rushing game. Smith was a much better game manager than Darnold has been so far. You cherry pick one throw and act like that somehow proves he is a better QB. I’m sure Jamarcus Russell made an elite throw or two, but you have to look at the entire body of work….

indeed... Alex Smith is one of the greatest "game managers" of all time. He had multiple seasons where 1.5% or less of his throws resulted in INTs. For context, Aaron Rodgers, who is renown for taking care of the ball, is at a career 1.4%, the same rate Smith had in KC. Mahomes is at 1.6% on his career. Darnold? Even with these four games without a turnover he's at 3%.  

Maybe he ends up as good a game manager as Smith long term, but he's such a far cry from that consistency wise.

• Pie 1