• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Morale Victories…. You think the Jets want to rethink their 2020 season?

TheBigKat

The Jets now will have wasted two top 3 picks on BUST QBs (Darnold/Wilson). For almost all of the 2020 season the Jets were on their way to the 1st overall pick which would have secured Trevor Lawrence

instead they get the #2 pick in Wilson and a big morale patch for garbage wins and the Jags sneak in and get the #1 pick

now this year the Jets kill it in their draft with Sauce, Breece, Wilson and poised to be a great team except they can’t really compete because you guessed it, their QB stinks

• Pie 2
  • The D 1
  • Poo 1

I had a Jets fan tell me yesterday that he wished they would have just kept Darnold and let him play out his last year as a bridge QB (and of course not give him the 5th year option), then taken the trade that the Niners gave up for Lance and use some of those pieces to move back up to get Fields and let him start the year behind Darnold with Flacco in the QB room as well. Hard to argue that wouldn't have been a better result.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, X-Clown said:

I had a Jets fan tell me yesterday that he wished they would have just kept Darnold and let him play out his last year as a bridge QB (and of course not give him the 5th year option), then taken the trade that the Niners gave up for Lance and use some of those pieces to move back up to get Fields and let him start the year behind Darnold with Flacco in the QB room as well. Hard to argue that wouldn't have been a better result.

I wanted Justin 

badly

i renewed my PSLs for 4 years because I thought the Panthers would take him

…that someone would say to that fuging idiot Rhule ‘asshole. You need a qb’

more fool me 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

21 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I wanted Justin 

badly

i renewed my PSLs for 4 years because I thought the Panthers would take him

…that someone would say to that fuging idiot Rhule ‘asshole. You need a qb’

more fool me 

Ouch.

I wanted Field too. I honestly didn't think he'd be there. When he was it was an absolutely no brainer pick. Horn looks like he's going to be a very good CB for a long time but it won't matter until we solve the QB problem.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

To me the lesson of the 2020 Jets is that it's ridiculously hard to actually tank in the NFL, because even atrocious teams with bad coaches and bad QB play can find ways to win on the field.  So nothing is a lock no matter how hard you try.

You can't ask players to lay down and be run over. Some of them are fighting for their futures.

And the lesson of the 2022 Jets is how big a difference competent coaching makes, imo.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, Varking said:

I think the Jets just wish they took Fields now instead of Wilson. Prospect fatigue kicked in and Wilson was the new girl in school and they fell for it.

Herbert's success had a lot to do with that, IMO.  

Fields on the Jets would probably have them at 9 or 10 wins, though I'm a bit of a Fields homer.

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ouch.

I wanted Field too. I honestly didn't think he'd be there. When he was it was an absolutely no brainer pick. Horn looks like he's going to be a very good CB for a long time but it won't matter until we solve the QB problem.

I honestly still do not understand that draft at all. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were 1a and 1b the WHOLE college year, and then Zack Wilson and Trey Lance just came out of no where to land in the top 10. Just doesn't make sense to me. It was always Lawrence and Fields until about a month before the draft. Teams 2nd guessed themselves hard (including us). I was the same as you, I thought there was no way Fields last until our pick with so many QB needy teams in front us, and lo and behold he does.................and we pass on him for a damn CB. Horn is good, but it just does not matter if you don't have the QB situation figured out.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Castavar said:

I honestly still do not understand that draft at all. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were 1a and 1b the WHOLE college year, and then Zack Wilson and Trey Lance just came out of no where to land in the top 10. Just doesn't make sense to me. It was always Lawrence and Fields until about a month before the draft. Teams 2nd guessed themselves hard (including us). I was the same as you, I thought there was no way Fields last until our pick with so many QB needy teams in front us, and lo and behold he does.................and we pass on him for a damn CB. Horn is good, but it just does not matter if you don't have the QB situation figured out.

The NFL tends to overthink a lot of stuff. I said it back then that Justin Fields has everything a normal #1 overall pick has. He checked every box.

Put him in last year's draft and the Jags put that #1 overall pick on the auction block and Fields goes #1 overall to the highest bidder.

• Beer 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

The NFL tends to overthink a lot of stuff. I said it back then that Justin Fields has everything a normal #1 overall pick has. He checked every box.

Put him in last year's draft and the Jags put that #1 overall pick on the auction block and Fields goes #1 overall to the highest bidder.

I think something happened in interviews with Fields that made teams doubt him somehow. I just don't understand how else it happened. I'm not saying that was deserved, I think he's developing nicely overall and wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the top 5 QBs in the league in the next 3 years.  But, he was 1b for like two years. Something happened.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think something happened in interviews with Fields that made teams doubt him somehow. I just don't understand how else it happened. I'm not saying that was deserved, I think he's developing nicely overall and wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the top 5 QBs in the league in the next 3 years.  But, he was 1b for like two years. Something happened.

Had to have. He must have interviewed terribly. Because on the field, on the stat sheet, in the drills... checked every box.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Had to have. He must have interviewed terribly. Because on the field, on the stat sheet, in the drills... checked every box.

Could also be the system. When you play with some of the best OL, WRs and RBs in college football, it can leave some questions about the ability to perform under adverse situations because he very rarely had to. Not saying it's justified, but it's probably a consideration. 

4 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Could also be the system. When you play with some of the best OL, WRs and RBs in college football, it can leave some questions about the ability to perform under adverse situations because he very rarely had to. Not saying it's justified, but it's probably a consideration. 

Oh, for sure. But the same was true for Lawrence. The same is true for every QB coming out of a top tier program.

• Pie 1