• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafting a QB is a total crap shoot according to a Hall of Fame QB.

Panthercougar68

He's not wrong. 

Doesn't matter where you take him, it's going to be a risk. There are no safe bets. Not much better off taking him in the top 5 picks than you are in the second half of the first round.

Won't know what you got until you see them play at the pro level. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

That settles it. What we need to do is trade for cast-offs and take shots mid to late draft.

I don't know what it is about football comparative to other sports, but the amount of cherry picking of statistics and anecdotes is absurd. How is this difficult to understand.

NFL players are usually drafted, right? So, the higher you draft a player, the more likely that player has to be special. If 5 teams take a player at your position that you need, guess what? That's 5 players missing from your selection pool to find a great player.

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

He is a highschool OC coach and NFL network analyst, as far as I can tell he has never even coached in the NFL or done any FO stuff. 

I want to hear what Reid, BB and others like that have to say over Warner.

There is some truth there but if that is all you have as a GM, HC or OC in the NFL and can't see the difference between say Newton and Gabbert coming out then you are going to get fired. What the hell did Reid see with Mahomes or Beane/Daboll with Allen that made them take that swing? That is what I want to hear, not this generic overcomplication of it's hard and imperfect. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

In a sense he's right, in that you never really know before a guy plays in the NFL (and for some time at that), but if player evaluations were really worthless across the board you wouldn't see the success rate of draft picks decline with draft position on average.

There's always going to be hits and misses, but QB evaluations can give you an idea of how a player might do.

7 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I am so tired of the mental gymnastics people go through to justify having a middle-of-the-pack draft pick. We are obviously at a disadvantage picking 8-12. I don’t wanna hear anymore “positive” spins on this subject 

?

This isn’t spin about draft position?… It’s a discussion on evaluating qbs in general.

• Pie 2

Anyway….it goes back to the question. Are franchise guys molded or they just exist.

As someone stated earlier, is it dumb luck that Josh Allen panned out or is there something in the interviews that peaked Beane and co’s interest to know know that this guy can play in the league.

Makes you wonder at all the players that were said to be busts because of the team were actually just busts in general.

Let’s face it, there are good college QBs and some have extraordinary physical talent

There has to be a passion and a confidence to play the position 

guts

quick decisions 

i watched fields almost get cut into in the semi conference championships. He was Pissed at the hit.  As hurt as he clearly was, he got up and led them to a TD

That hit caught up to him in the finals 

but the kid got up.  You need a player who competes and when hit in the mouth, gets up, one that works to get better.

Getting hit in the mouth in the nfl happens a lot to top 10 draft picks as the  team they are going to is bad…they better be able to get out of the way.  

Edited by raleigh-panther