• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Wilks has proved he has what it takes to be HC

Verge

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And then they fired him.

The Cardinals has been a steaming pile of dysfunction for a long time.

Could have easily been an "oh shite" moment by the people who wanted him hire, when they realized "their guy" was stinking the joint up.

Cardinals dysfunction goes back to when they were located in St. Louis, and perhaps even before.

Wilks has been a great story, no doubt.  He's done what good defensive coaches do.  He steadied the ship.  We no longer look lost.

Yea, he got a crap deal in AZ.  He chose to take the job.  He could just as easily have declined, especially given the circumstances.

But that doesn't make him our long term answer.  I have no confidence in his ability to take us to the next level.  Specifically in his ability to identify, attract and retain the offensive coaching talent that is required to have a competitive team in this day and age.

2 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

Nice write up.

If we're rolling with him come season's end, we really need a focused search on getting a legitimate offensive mind in house that won't leave immediately for a HC gig.  Priority #1 alongside QB.

I think we need an offensive mind that can produce a solid ground attack and focus on long drives, moving the chains, and keeping the defense rested.  I don't know if you need some superstar genius to accomplish this - just someone on the same page as the head coach.  I've been pleasantly impressed with Mcadoo's creativity over the last several weeks.

• Beer 1

Just now, Aussie Tank said:

Beating poo teams and coming after Rhule is clouding judgements. Yes his style of ball matched up perfectly against the Seahawks but we will never get past the Bengals of the world playing conservative ball 

Lucky for us, I don't see a Bengals/Bills/Chiefs type of team in the NFC right now. Maybe Philly, but that's about it.

44 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

But then he was able to fire him midseason?  Something doesn’t add up.  

i think they had checked out at that point anyways. the cards were already looking ahead to the new regime. they had him keep a lot of the staff that was already there and they didn't give him much freedom to run or build the team how he wanted. i don't think they ever really trusted him to begin with. i think they felt pressured to hiring him, but didn't expect him to or set him up to succeed. the whole thing never had a real chance to succeed. it seems screwy, but their GM is a real headcase.

• Pie 2

Just now, Aussie Tank said:

So you want to just hope no one else becomes an elite offense? How about we try and become one 

I love the idea of becoming an elite offense. It's not happening this season. 

The NFC playoff teams are likely to be Philly, Minnesota, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington, and New York plus either us or Tampa.

There isn't a Bengals level offense in that group. Maybe Philly. Maybe Dallas, but that's probably a stretch. That's all I was pointing out.

19 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Beating poo teams and coming after Rhule is clouding judgements. Yes his style of ball matched up perfectly against the Seahawks but we will never get past the Bengals of the world playing conservative ball 

Imagine playing aggressive ball with Darnold and PJ. Recipe for disaster.

• Flames 1