• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who wanted to take a late round shot at Grayson McCall - He is returning to college football another year but transferring.

Varking

19 minutes ago, Icege said:

Solid gamble too tho imo

He likely knows he isn't getting any better than a 4th (likely 5th) rd grade. If he goes to Auburn and lights it up he is going to rocket up draft boards

He's already being given 2nd round grades, sometimes 1st with what he's done at Coastal. People underestimate how good the Sun Belt is, for obvious reasons and history but it's slowly found its way up and is now the best G5 conference in the country according to several of the most valued computer models.

The AAC's best team in Tulane even lost to Southern Miss, a Sun Belt program, and the game wasn't even that close. The last place team in the East division beat Virginia Tech and should've beat Virginia. Georgia Southern beats Nebraska. App State beats Texas A&M who beat No. 6 LSU and was 2 yards from beating Alabama at Alabama. Marshall obviously beat Notre Dame and that game wasn't all that close.

Scouts know quality when they see it. Perception hasn't caught up yet but McCall would've been fine staying put in the G5. If he goes to Liberty and plays in C-USA I can't help but feel like his stock may fall a bit because that place is going to be a dump.

15 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Why would he go to Wake Forest over App? Outside of Clemson, if you believe in computer models, the Sun Belt East was on par with the ACC and was the top G5 division in the country and the entirety of the conference was ahead of the AAC.

If you can play, you can play. Josh Allen went to Wyoming, Carson Wentz went to NDSU, a chargers back-up went to NDSU, Trey Lance went to NDSU, Mahomes was at Texas Tech (who isn't any better than Coastal was before Chadwell started flirting with Liberty).

If you can play, you'll get your shot. Doesn't matter if you're Division 2, FCS, G5 or P5. At this point, he needs to go somewhere he can ensure success, otherwise he's costing himself money.

So just stay at Coastal Carolina then. He'll face more future NFL competition in a P5 conference. It's really just that simple.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

So just stay at Coastal Carolina then. He'll face more future NFL competition in a P5 conference. It's really just that simple.

Yeah considering he crushed it this past year and is still viewed as a mid to last round pick.  If he had those numbers in the SEC/ACC he would be way up the draft boards.  Usually the smaller conference guys need elite traits to get drafted high like Allen, Lance, Wentz etc...

20 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah considering he crushed it this past year and is still viewed as a mid to last round pick.  If he had those numbers in the SEC/ACC he would be way up the draft boards.  Usually the smaller conference guys need elite traits to get drafted high like Allen, Lance, Wentz etc...

Yep. He doesn't have the traits wow factor so showing he can translate to a higher level in the college game would bode well for him. Recently guys like Kenny Pickett and Mac Jones have gone in the 1st round despite having marginal at best NFL talent simply because they put up big time stats against high level college competition.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. He doesn't have the traits wow factor so showing he can translate to a higher level in the college game would bode well for him. Recently guys like Kenny Pickett and Mac Jones have gone in the 1st round despite having marginal at best NFL talent simply because they put up big time stats against high level college competition.

"But Mac Jones has unbelievable processing speed, I'll ignore the fact everything else about him is pedestrian or below.  He's also very smaht, multiple DUI smaht.  Wicked good"

jim-carrey-excited-to-see-you.gif

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

"But Mac Jones has unbelievable processing speed, I'll ignore the fact everything else about him is pedestrian or below.  He's also very smaht, multiple DUI smaht.  Wicked good"

/cdn-cgi/mirage/2c732b875a9c937cb45b8f16c1ada27d3c0c9096f3c0e023cb2e326cb3cf3c3c/1280/https://media.tenor.com/UCwrbt-fPpsAAAAC/jim-carrey-excited-to-see-you.gif

It was crazy. I said he was a 3rd round prospect. I thought the same about Pickett. I thought both projected as high end backup/marginal starters at best. Basically you're really happy to have them as a backup but if they're starting for you, you need a QB.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

Granted I am a mccall fan and watched a ton of his games and even one live but for the life of me I dont get why there isnt way more buzz about this kid.  He is stupid accurate and throws off platform when its needed.  Good enough athlete and above average arm.  Not a cannon but def has zip

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It was crazy. I said he was a 3rd round prospect. I thought the same about Pickett. I thought both projected as high end backup/marginal starters at best. Basically you're really happy to have them as a backup but if they're starting for you, you need a QB.

Pretty much. 

For some recent 1st rounders like Jones & Pickett, that's why they got passed by a lot of QB needy teams, including us, and it's for a reason.

If you aren't hitting prototype measurables, you need to possess some sort of elite trait in your game, ideally a combo of a few. I.E.: accuracy, arm, mechanics, footwork, consistent GWDs, etc.  They just hit the benchmark on a few things and had great college numbers.  So close enough to the size you want, but just nothing special once separated from Bama and, let's be honest with Pickett, Jordan Addison.  AJ McCarron syndrome.  

And on the flip side, if you're developmental, you need obvious physical traits or an apparent star ceiling.  I think many to most teams determined Willis did not possess that ceiling last year and it shows when he's gone in for TEN.  Same for what Ridder and Corral brought to the table. People got starry eyed with Corral's release but he seems to be really raw coming from that Ole Miss system.

Now, has has this been proven otherwise at times? Sure, Brees, Brady, Dak, and Wilson were misses for many squads.  But those are exceptions.  

At the end of the day, I see that star upside in Richardson, and with guys like Penix, Ward, Daniels returning to school, there's a pretty big cliff unless you're hoping a 2nd-4th rounder buds into something like Tune, McConnell, Duggan, etc. 

You take that boom/bust guy in the QB3-4 range, just like the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, & Chargers did. 

Get the specimen with all the tools, trust you can develop with the right staff & team--that's the recipe.  

McCall will go to a Power 5 school that is middling-to-good.  Used to, guys would take a step back from a FBS program if they weren't starting, go JuCo for a year and pop back up at another school.  With the transfer portal now, that route is old.  Cam took that route.  If McCall goes to Auburn, some of those fans still lingering around here may get excited again.

Dude has talent, he just needs the exposure.  Coastal was too new of a program and too small of a school for him to get noticed.

Edited by 45catfan

McCall transferring could work out very well for him. More exposure from a more nationally recognized program or he could regress and get beat out by someone we haven't even talked about in that bigger program. I like the kid and if our game plan is to throw short and intermediate with emphasis on not making mistakes he fits. So does Sam Hartman for Wake. obviously Richardson and Levis are prototypes. Big, tall athletes with velocity on throws but do they have it between the ears.  

Edited by mickeye76
missed a word

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean.....he is still better than McCall.

McCall is the top ranked QB in the portal, so I guess he doesn't suck too bad.  My guess is he's being sought out by about every QB needy school in the nation.  Dude has options galore to the point of being picky.

• Beer 1