• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who wanted to take a late round shot at Grayson McCall - He is returning to college football another year but transferring.

Varking

2 hours ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Interesting, first I've heard of that.  You would think that would be all over the internet and news but a quick google search gives me nothing.  I don't have Twitter, or FB for that matter, because most of that stuff is trash but I guess it is possible just not what the word is around here.

Yeah it’s blown up on Twitter and Reddit. 

51 minutes ago, Varking said:

Yeah it’s blown up on Twitter and Reddit. 

Not saying I don't believe you but I've never heard of those guys and not a single mention of that on any of this on any news site; ESPN, SI, CBS, nothing.  And I find it hard to believe if that was the case, they would be saying that vs Grayson McCall canceled his meeting.  I can tell you this, and probably shouldn't, but one of my very close friends is on the Board of Trustees for USC, the original USC that is; Gamecocks, and as you are probably aware it wasn't so long ago Coastal Carolina was an extended campus of USC.  Now, they are separate of course and members of the boards are not mutually exclusive.  Thats what I meant by inner circles earlier.  I can tell you, according to him, Florida was never on McCalls radar; no trip was ever scheduled and from what he knows, no calls were ever made by either party and there have never been any mention of Florida outside of the media saying it "could" be a potential landing spot.  Auburn on the other hand, has sparked his interest, they offered him a scholarship last year and tried to get him to leave Coastal, he opted to stay.  I also mentioned that in another thread Auburn was one of 5 P5 schools that tried to get Grayson to leave last year; for everyone saying why is he playing at Coastal besides a P5 school if he is so good, well, he easily could have.  I can also tell you that, from what I've heard it is down to 3 schools, one of which being Coastal.  He will be visiting Auburn in the next week or two unless Tim Beck can convince him it is worth staying.  Now again, I'm not saying you're wrong, this is just what I've heard from someone that don't necessarily have inside information but certainly has connections that do.  On top of that, Coastals backup QB is now in Jail, I can't imagine if Coastal was certain McCall was gone, they wouldn't have already found / be looking for another QB....and they're not.  And think about this, what possible Major would Coastal Carolina be offering that a school like Auburn isn't?  Sounds like some butt hurt SEC homers you're following there

1 hour ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Not saying I don't believe you but I've never heard of those guys and not a single mention of that on any of this on any news site; ESPN, SI, CBS, nothing.  And I find it hard to believe if that was the case, they would be saying that vs Grayson McCall canceled his meeting.  I can tell you this, and probably shouldn't, but one of my very close friends is on the Board of Trustees for USC, the original USC that is; Gamecocks, and as you are probably aware it wasn't so long ago Coastal Carolina was an extended campus of USC.  Now, they are separate of course and members of the boards are not mutually exclusive.  Thats what I meant by inner circles earlier.  I can tell you, according to him, Florida was never on McCalls radar; no trip was ever scheduled and from what he knows, no calls were ever made by either party and there have never been any mention of Florida outside of the media saying it "could" be a potential landing spot.  Auburn on the other hand, has sparked his interest, they offered him a scholarship last year and tried to get him to leave Coastal, he opted to stay.  I also mentioned that in another thread Auburn was one of 5 P5 schools that tried to get Grayson to leave last year; for everyone saying why is he playing at Coastal besides a P5 school if he is so good, well, he easily could have.  I can also tell you that, from what I've heard it is down to 3 schools, one of which being Coastal.  He will be visiting Auburn in the next week or two unless Tim Beck can convince him it is worth staying.  Now again, I'm not saying you're wrong, this is just what I've heard from someone that don't necessarily have inside information but certainly has connections that do.  On top of that, Coastals backup QB is now in Jail, I can't imagine if Coastal was certain McCall was gone, they wouldn't have already found / be looking for another QB....and they're not.  And think about this, what possible Major would Coastal Carolina be offering that a school like Auburn isn't?  Sounds like some butt hurt SEC homers you're following there

I apologize but places like On3 have good track records with recruiting and transfers. If they are saying McCall had Florida on the radar I’d be inclined to believe it. 

I had folks here tell me stuff about UF and Anthony Richardson that they heard from folks connected to the program and their “friends” and the info I was putting out turned out more accurate because I have connections at the program, too. And mine are good with the new regime. 

I don’t want to get into a pissing match about all this as it’s pointless but you just look up Grayson McCalls name on twitter and it’s easy to find plenty of folks who have talked about is credits not transferring over. Maybe you don’t have anyone at ESPN or CBS running with the story because either they don’t have the same inside sources or it’s a beyond busy time and reports will come out about who is transferring where and not typically why they didn’t go to X Y or Z. 

9 hours ago, Varking said:

I apologize but places like On3 have good track records with recruiting and transfers. If they are saying McCall had Florida on the radar I’d be inclined to believe it. 

I had folks here tell me stuff about UF and Anthony Richardson that they heard from folks connected to the program and their “friends” and the info I was putting out turned out more accurate because I have connections at the program, too. And mine are good with the new regime. 

I don’t want to get into a pissing match about all this as it’s pointless but you just look up Grayson McCalls name on twitter and it’s easy to find plenty of folks who have talked about is credits not transferring over. Maybe you don’t have anyone at ESPN or CBS running with the story because either they don’t have the same inside sources or it’s a beyond busy time and reports will come out about who is transferring where and not typically why they didn’t go to X Y or Z. 

Sorry, didn't want you to take it as a pissing match because I respect and enjoy your post.  Just saying what the word it close to home.  Personally, I hope he comes back to Coastal but I know that isn't in his best interest.  I guess we will see how it plays out

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Sorry, didn't want you to take it as a pissing match because I respect and enjoy your post.  Just saying what the word it close to home.  Personally, I hope he comes back to Coastal but I know that isn't in his best interest.  I guess we will see how it plays out

I don’t know why he even entered the portal. He’s in a great situation. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Varking said:

I don’t know why he even entered the portal. He’s in a great situation. 

Well, P5 schools were in his ear last year but he wanted to finish what he and Jim Caldwell started at Coastal.  Jim made a pretty dumb decision to go to Liberty which, in my opinion, is a lateral move as a coach so it left Grayson wondering what to do with his final year he will be playing.  Start over with a new coach and hope for the best or take one of the P5 offers where at least he will get more recognition.  But you are right, he is a GOD at Coastal.  Tim Beck, for everything I've heard about him was a decent OC and has ties to Coastal (his daughter graduated from there) so well see if he comes back, but I can't blame him if he leaves. 

47 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Well, P5 schools were in his ear last year but he wanted to finish what he and Jim Caldwell started at Coastal.  Jim made a pretty dumb decision to go to Liberty which, in my opinion, is a lateral move as a coach so it left Grayson wondering what to do with his final year he will be playing.  Start over with a new coach and hope for the best or take one of the P5 offers where at least he will get more recognition.  But you are right, he is a GOD at Coastal.  Tim Beck, for everything I've heard about him was a decent OC and has ties to Coastal (his daughter graduated from there) so well see if he comes back, but I can't blame him if he leaves. 

It’s Jamey Caldwell and it was a great move for him. Have you seen the CUSA teams? Caldwell will have a much better chance at going undefeated in the CUSA and being the G5 representative in the CFP’s at Liberty than he ever would at Coastal. I’d argue that the Sun Belt is probably the most difficult non P5 conference in college football.

Not to mention, Liberty has the money and the resources to get Chadwell there. I mean just compare their facilities (Liberty’s and Coastal’s), Liberty’s facilities are better than some low end P5 teams (looking at you Wake Forest).

Chadwell made a great decision for himself because ultimately it’s the easier route to success.

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s Jamey Caldwell and it was a great move for him. Have you seen the CUSA teams? Caldwell will have a much better chance at going undefeated in the CUSA and being the G5 representative in the CFP’s at Liberty than he ever would at Coastal. I’d argue that the Sun Belt is probably the most difficult non P5 conference in college football.

Not to mention, Liberty has the money and the resources to get Chadwell there. I mean just compare their facilities (Liberty’s and Coastal’s), Liberty’s facilities are better than some low end P5 teams (looking at you Wake Forest).

Chadwell made a great decision for himself because ultimately it’s the easier route to success.

I’m an idiot myself. It’s Jamey Chadwell. I read Caldwell one to many times.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Apologize on the name.  I can't argue with any of your points besides making it at Coastal should look better for his resume than it would at Liberty given what you mentioned above.  Coastal is in the process of building new facilities for all of it's sports programs.  With the recent success in Baseball, Football, Track, etc there has been an influx of money.  As an ACC fan, I really enjoy Sun Belt athletics, underrated in my opinion but man the games are so much fun

28 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Apologize on the name.  I can't argue with any of your points besides making it at Coastal should look better for his resume than it would at Liberty given what you mentioned above.  Coastal is in the process of building new facilities for all of it's sports programs.  With the recent success in Baseball, Football, Track, etc there has been an influx of money.  As an ACC fan, I really enjoy Sun Belt athletics, underrated in my opinion but man the games are so much fun

I think Chadwell took the payday and the easier route in my opinion. Sun Belt has come a long way and I see it being a much stronger conference than CUSA. Outside of Liberty, Middle Tennessee, and Western Kentucky, CUSA is a glorified FCS conference.

• Beer 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey group, wanted to follow up on this because I was wrong and wanted to update you.  So last night a close friend of the McCall family was at a New Year’s party my wife and I attended.  And @Varking you were right.  If he were to transfer to Auburn, the credits that would transfer would make him a sophomore.  Florida did reach out to him, and there was interest on his behalf but he would only have the credits for Junior status and believe it or not…the same for Liberty!  So according to what was said last night, he is more than likely coming back to Coastal one more year

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, HPPantherzfan said:

Hey group, wanted to follow up on this because I was wrong and wanted to update you.  So last night a close friend of the McCall family was at a New Year’s party my wife and I attended.  And @Varking you were right.  If he were to transfer to Auburn, the credits that would transfer would make him a sophomore.  Florida did reach out to him, and there was interest on his behalf but he would only have the credits for Junior status and believe it or not…the same for Liberty!  So according to what was said last night, he is more than likely coming back to Coastal one more year

Great info, what’s his degree in?

9 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Great info, what’s his degree in?

I didn’t even ask, I was shocked that his credits wouldn’t transfer to Liberty so we talked about that for a little bit, then we talked about Tim Beck, apparently he is pretty high on him and we talked about the NFL draft and why he decided on another year of college over declaring for the NFL draft.  He is being told he is probably a 4th or 5th round prospect and he isn’t keen on that but still a possibility. 

• Pie 1