• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For those who wanted to take a late round shot at Grayson McCall - He is returning to college football another year but transferring.

Varking

13 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

McCall is the top ranked QB in the portal, so I guess he doesn't suck too bad.  My guess is he's being sought out by about every QB needy school in the nation.  Dude has options galore to the point of being picky.

He'll probably make more money this year in college from the portal than if he had entered the draft and gotten taken on day 3. Plus he has the chance to increase his draft position playing somewhere more high profile, no brainer. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

The portal isn't the NFL. He isn't transferring to the NFL.

Correct, but unless he has a horrible season in 2023 (which is highly doubtful) he's a Day 1 or Day 2 QB in the next draft.  At that point, if we are still looking for a QB, it wouldn't be a "flyer" pick in the least.

32 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

No, that just means the likes of the Clemson QB that have entered the portal so far suck even more than McCall does.

The hate is strong dude.  What gives?  Pot shots and no facts come off shallow and uniformed.  Before Leary got hurt, he was AT LEAST a third rounder and I saw Devin as high as QB7 on respected drafts sites.  McCall and Leary are atop the portal QB board.

I remember a certain college QB that I found intriguing, he chose to transfer and people crapped all over him because he wasn't going to be a first rounder.  People tried their best to poke holes in his game.  Now he's the hottest QB in the NFL. 

Edited by 45catfan

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Correct, but unless he has a horrible season in 2023 (which is highly doubtful) he's a Day 1 or Day 2 QB in the next draft.  At that point, if we are still looking for a QB, it wouldn't be a "flyer" pick in the least.

I really believe you dramatically overestimate where his draft stock is. If he was a Day 1 pick, he would be declaring already. He is far more likely to be a Day 3 pick than a Day 1 pick.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

10 hours ago, 45catfan said:

The hate is strong dude.  What gives?  Pot shots and no facts come off shallow and uniformed.  Before Leary got hurt, he was AT LEAST a third rounder and I saw Devin as high as QB7 on respected drafts sites.  McCall and Leary are atop the portal QB board.

I remember a certain college QB that I found intriguing, he chose to transfer and people crapped all over him because he wasn't going to be a first rounder.  People tried their best to poke holes in his game.  Now he's the hottest QB in the NFL. 

I could care less about the second part of your post. Anybody can claim that after the fact. So, let's go back to the first part of your post.

There's no hate, I just don't think McCall is a good QB prospect. He never impressed or took over a game from what I saw this season. He just really seemed to manage games. If you want to go by stats, his look decent:

2633 yards 24 TDs 2 INTs

But stats don't tell the whole story. Let's take a look at a second guy that set school records. This guy has the size you love too. He's 6'4" 230 lbs. Here's his stats:

3408 yards 23 TDs 5 INTs

Would you say this second guy is a good QB that would make it in the NFL?

14 hours ago, jayboogieman said:

I could care less about the second part of your post. Anybody can claim that after the fact. So, let's go back to the first part of your post.

There's no hate, I just don't think McCall is a good QB prospect. He never impressed or took over a game from what I saw this season. He just really seemed to manage games. If you want to go by stats, his look decent:

2633 yards 24 TDs 2 INTs

But stats don't tell the whole story. Let's take a look at a second guy that set school records. This guy has the size you love too. He's 6'4" 230 lbs. Here's his stats:

3408 yards 23 TDs 5 INTs

Would you say this second guy is a good QB that would make it in the NFL?

McCall doesn't lose you games.   He a solid player and can step up when needed.  I'm not sure what else you could be looking for other a big arm.  Dude lost all his key receivers form last year and the CCU defense was pure garbage.  It's cool, he's just not flashy enough for your taste.

Anyway, I haven't looked, but is the other Hooker? His stats were somewhere in that ballpark  If so, I would have taken a flyer on him prior to the ACL injury.

Yes, stats do tell a lot, to replicate them consistently over time is proof of the product.  The very reason I'm skeptical of one-year wonders.

18 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I really believe you dramatically overestimate where his draft stock is. If he was a Day 1 pick, he would be declaring already. He is far more likely to be a Day 3 pick than a Day 1 pick.

NEXT draft he could be a day 1 pick if he lands in the right situation.  He wasn't a day 1 pick this draft, I agree.  I think he could have topped out as a day 2 pick if he had gone through with the All Star games, Pro Days and the Combine. 

6 hours ago, 45catfan said:

NEXT draft he could be a day 1 pick if he lands in the right situation.  He wasn't a day 1 pick this draft, I agree.  I think he could have topped out as a day 2 pick if he had gone through with the All Star games, Pro Days and the Combine. 

Yeah, that is a lot of "ifs."

IMO, he doesn't have a skill set that has much in the way of elite NFL traits. 

• Pie 2

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

McCall doesn't lose you games.   He a solid player and can step up when needed.  I'm not sure what else you could be looking for other a big arm.  Dude lost all his key receivers form last year and the CCU defense was pure garbage.  It's cool, he's just not flashy enough for your taste.

Anyway, I haven't looked, but is the other Hooker? His stats were somewhere in that ballpark  If so, I would have taken a flyer on him prior to the ACL injury.

Yes, stats do tell a lot, to replicate them consistently over time is proof of the product.  The very reason I'm skeptical of one-year wonders.

It has nothing to do with flash. I just don't see anything in McCall that makes me think he can play in the pros. He just appears to me as a decent college player.

No, the stats aren't Hooker's. They're Holton Ahlers', ECU's QB. And he is not an NFL caliber QB in any way despite the size.

15 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, that is a lot of "ifs."

IMO, he doesn't have a skill set that has much in the way of elite NFL traits. 

Doesn't have to be elite, he just has to be really good. He can be.  I mean, I can run down a laundry list of highly successful QBs that didn't have elite skill sets, especially coming out of college. I could equally do a laundry list of guys that had traits that fans drooled over that were busts.