• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The right coaching

Mr. Scot

Sam Bradford has always been a good QB, but it's easy to say that the Lions have always struggled to find good coaching, and put a good team around Sam. 

The Rams plucked him up, inserted him onto a loaded team, and with good coaching, they won the Superbowl. 

Sounds like the trade worked out pretty damn well for the Rams. 

Goff struggles last year.  His improved this year.  

To the point of the OP, coaching always matters. 

Sometimes things come together,  and sometimes there is too much to over come. 

That is the NFL.  best laid plans can be laid to waste. 

Our next coach MUST have a proven record of developing a QB.  There is no more important trait in the league today.  I saw it earlier in the thread somewhere, the idea that there are three classes of QB's:  Great ones, who will be great anywhere.  Bad ones, who will be bad anywhere.  And the much larger middle group of QB's who can be anything from terrible to terrific based on the coaching situation they fall in to.

We need to be sure we get that coaching RIGHT.  It gives us a much higher chance of succeeding at QB, and therefore in the league as a whole.

• Pie 1

Goff is having himself a really good year. Detroit is 5th in scoring. He is excited, and the team is excited. What more do you want from your QB?

Some of you will say damn near anything to downplay a positive action. 

Oh, and the Coaching Staff of the Lions. Almost entirely made up of ex-players.

7 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I am genuinely perplexed by this "development" idea on Goff. Can someone point out why this season he seems more "developed" than in previous seasons??

Statistically, he is basically doing the exact same thing he has done his entire NFL career.

The big deal was Mcvay lost all faith in goff. No trust along with what was the 2nd highest(could have been #1) contract, you got one mountain of a problem. 

Plus if one of the best offensive minds wants to get rid of you, welllll. I think the only reason why this happened, the new loins GM worked for rams/les. Many times a player needs a fresh start and brain reset, goff seems to turned the tide. He was awful til the last 6 games or so, plenty of talk about loins drafting a QB this past draft cycle. 

Bill is the fing goat, he is universally copied. If a team struggles with the pats, they continue to do so afterwards. He tore goffs game apart and put out great ideas to stop mcvay(whom adjusted). hes just brilliant about knowing a players strengths and weaknesses, then building a gameplan around them. 

Edited by Basbear

5 minutes ago, Basbear said:

The big deal was Mcvay lost all faith in goff. No trust along with what was the 2nd highest(could have been #1) contract, you got one mountain of a problem. 

Plus if one of the best offensive minds wants to get rid of you, welllll. I think the only reason why this happened, the new loins GM worked for rams/les. Many times a player needs a fresh start and brain reset, goff seems to turned the tide. He was awful til the last 6 games or so, plenty of talk about loins drafting a QB this past draft cycle. 

Bill is the fing goat, he is universally copied. If a team struggles with the pats, they continue to do so afterwards. He tore goffs game apart and put out great ideas to stop mcvay(whom adjusted). hes just brilliant about knowing a players strengths and weaknesses, then building a gameplan around them. 

C'mon man. Goff has been playing well since Campell turned over playcalling to Johnson late last year. They finished last year on a 3 game winning streak. They were hoping to continue that this year, but the Defense let em down. Now the D is starting to step up. This ain't your daddy's Lions.

3 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

C'mon man. Goff has been playing well since Campell turned over playcalling to Johnson late last year. They finished last year on a 3 game winning streak. They were hoping to continue that this year, but the Defense let em down. Now the D is starting to step up. This ain't your daddy's Lions.

I have not followed game for game since the trade. Just seen headlines about benching him(I believe there was even cut talks) and being a draft nut, the loins were in the QB pool by nearly every report. After a few wins, goff doesnt look as bad now.....just took til mid-season...

3 minutes ago, Basbear said:

I have not followed game for game since the trade. Just seen headlines about benching him(I believe there was even cut talks) and being a draft nut, the loins were in the QB pool by nearly every report. After a few wins, goff doesnt look as bad now.....just took til mid-season...

\

Don't believe everything you read. Goff is in no way in danger of his job. He and Johnson have been clicking since late last year.

Edited by Gerry Green

PFT guys generally have some of the worst takes. I think Goff looks ok because he's got really good running backs, not that he has greatly improved his personal QB numbers in any category. He's still in the same range of Td/Int ratio and overall yardage of the past 4-5 years. Rams moved on because he couldn't get it done in the playoffs, I imagine he'd pull the same choke job with the Lions

12 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

\

Don't believe everything you read. Goff is in no way in danger of his job. He and Johnson have been clicking since late last year.

I do remember reading about geno and goff among league leaders early season, even made a few post about it. As my friend once said "good stats, doesnt mean good team". If its a known fact that QB have the largest effect, win....

6 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

PFT guys generally have some of the worst takes. I think Goff looks ok because he's got really good running backs, not that he has greatly improved his personal QB numbers in any category. He's still in the same range of Td/Int ratio and overall yardage of the past 4-5 years. Rams moved on because he couldn't get it done in the playoffs, I imagine he'd pull the same choke job with the Lions

Using stats to evaluate is only part of the equation. You can make stats say whatever you want. 

The fact is. Detroit is 5th in scoring. (319) But their D has given up even more. (324) Tough to win when you score 30+ and lose.

But hey, you still got that Payoff jinx to cling to.