• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Carolina just unlucky?

NAS

The problem with the tweet is that it assumes that everyone accepts these things listed as "luck".  I'm not sure that's the case.

Opponent dropped interceptions - Are your receivers contesting these?  Good teams have receivers who do it and coaches who teach it.  Is your QB just throwing too many to the other guys, creating excess opportunities?  Bad QB's do this.  Either of these can skew such a stat to show that you're "unlucky".

Opponent dropped passes - are your DB's in tight coverage making the catches contested?  Good coaching and DB's heavily affect this stat.  I'm not talking about pass break ups here, that's different.  But just being in close proximity to a receiver can force mistakes.  And that's not luck.

Opponent kicks - Hey, here's a thought, don't let them get in a position to attempt the kicks.  Good defenses do this.  As a team, we are 20th in the league in number of FG attempts against per game.  As a team, we are 21st in the league in TD's allowed per game.  Overall, we're 17th in scoring defense.  That seems about right.  But it isn't luck.

Fumble recoveries - While statistically speaking, fumble recoveries are a coin flip, there are other factors.  Are you creating a lot of fumbles on defense?  That's coaching and execution.  Remember the impact of Charles Tillman here?  Not luck.  What about ball security on offense, do we have players who fumble more often than they should?  Not luck.  Awareness and coaching can affect this as well.  This is the closest thing to luck on there, but it's not a slam dunk.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, NAS said:

Anyone remember when we started 1-7 and had 13 players on IR?  Made a comeback only to be eliminated from playoff contention by a ridiculously insane Vick touchdown on 4th and 12?

‘04, was a Saturday Night game… insane is the right word, still don’t know how his knee didn’t touch… 

Almost painful, vivid memory of that game…

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, X-Clown said:

Your first two sentences are just guesses, is there any actual evidence that either of these things happen with more crowd noise? Players practice for road games with simulated noise, they are prepared for it - BOA was pretty fuging loud for that 58 yarder that a rookie kicker drilled in Week one. Blaming the lack of crowd noise to motivate a defense to get turnovers sounds straight out of the Matt Rhule playbook for excuse making.

The San Francisco game was one of the three games I've missed other than the pandemic season in the last 18 years due to prior commitments before the schedule was released. I sold my tickets to that game to a fellow Panther fan at a discount when I could have easily sold for over face to a niner fan. But at that game, (and most others in the last two years) what the fug do you have to cheer for? Can you blame anyone who doesn't want to eat several thousand dollars a year and waste hours of their life to watch the bullshit we've been subjected to? 

I'm just kind of done with people on this board criticizing PSL owners no matter what they do. When we show up to bad football games, we're told that we're content with losing and shouldn't show up to send a message. If we don't, we get blamed for opposing team's fans taking over. Mostly from people who only show up if tickets are free and they're winning.

Wow, I’m not criticizing you at all. I am simply telling you that BOA is not an intimidating place for the opposing teams to play, and I believe that affects our “luck”. It is simply my opinion. You are correct, there is no scientific data that proves a loud crowd affects players. It is again my opinion.