• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "some" within the Panthers organization want Sam Darnold to get a chance to start

TheSpecialJuan

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Not bothered just curious on such weird timing since we can't do anything but play them all until the end of the year anyways. 

It could be that Wilks wants to see Sam play more for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter unless they start winning with Sam. Then this place will lose it's mind. Can you imagine if he starts Sam and they win out? That meltdown alone would be worth the price of admission to watch the panick up in here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

I think all three of our QB's on the ganeday roster should get starts the rest of the way just to evaluate. I'd say a couple for Baker a and a coioek for Sam and PJ a couple more to or however many games left. Give everyone a shot and let's evaluate with a line performing better and a coach that isn't an imbecile.

Edited by YourLastThought

21 hours ago, frankw said:

If they legitimately want to see that again they should be removed from the building.

The offense looked instantly better the moment Rhule left. Even if the 2nd half of Cincy was a blowout, the Bengels knew the Panthers were going to throw and all Baker did was have almost a perfect half of football.

Both Baker and Sam have the talent to be successful NFL quarterbacks. I think Sam is more naturally gifted personally and all of us here wondered what he would look like with good coaching and a good offensive line.

Well, instead we got poor coaching, a poor offensive line, and a fired offensive coordinator who was scapegoated by Rhule.

I'd love to see what both Baker and Sam look like in this offense. If it turns out that one of them can be salvageable with an actual NFL coaching staff and a team that appears to have found a cornerstone left tackle and an identity, the better off we will be. We may not have to use one of our valuable picks on a quarterback yet again and instead just hold serve to see what we got with Corral and whomever stands out enough to be retained going into 2023 with a real coaching staff and good core of offensive talent.

2 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

I think all three of our QB's on the ganeday roster should get starts the rest of the way just to evaluate. I'd say a couple for Baker a and a coioek for Sam and PJ a couple more to or however many games left. Give everyone a shot and let's evaluate with a line performing better and a coach that isn't an imbecile.

I think that's the rationale being used by "some in the FO". They've seen Baker and PJ in McAdoos offense so now it's time to throw Sam out there.  Even if it's against the objections of the fans. It is what it is.

• Beer 2

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think that's the rationale being used by "some in the FO". They've seen Baker and PJ in McAdoos offense so now it's time to throw Sam out there.  Even if it's against the objections of the fans. It is what it is.

Just treat the QB position like a MLB pitching staff.....use a rotation.  With these three, we may want to have a rotation of two starters and then one relief QB.  Hell, use one as "the closer."

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, Sgt Schultz said:

Just treat the QB position like a MLB pitching staff.....use a rotation.  With these three, we may want to have a rotation of two starters and then one relief QB.  Hell, use one as "the closer."

That seems to be exactly what they are doing. Wilks even said he bases who starts on that weeks opponent. Baker will play until he throws a pick or two and then it's next man up. It will be Sammy time before you know it. 

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It could be that Wilks wants to see Sam play more for whatever reason. It doesn't really matter unless they start winning with Sam. Then this place will lose it's mind. Can you imagine if he starts Sam and they win out? That meltdown alone would be worth the price of admission to watch the panick up in here.

That would be pretty damn funny but even at his best he is just not good enough to pull off perfection, none of them are. Everyone should get a chance, it's just not that hard. Audition and evaluate. Anyone not doing that needs to just be fired now because they are getting in the way of the only purpose of the rest of this season. 

The timing just has me curious. It's a dumb call until Monday IMO because Baker already earned this start with PJ out from his backup performance. Monday is the likely point I expected to hear about Sam getting his chance soon anyways, that's if he isn't subbed in on Sunday before then. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

That would be pretty damn funny but even at his best he is just not good enough to pull off perfection, none of them are. Everyone should get a chance, it's just not that hard. Audition and evaluate. Anyone not doing that needs to just be fired now because they are getting in the way of the only purpose of the rest of this season. 

The timing just has me curious. It's a dumb call until Monday IMO because Baker already earned this start with PJ out from his backup performance. Monday is the likely point I expected to hear about Sam getting his chance soon anyways, that's if he isn't subbed in on Sunday before then. 

Sam is backing up Baker this Sunday correct? I suspect that Sam will start the next game after this if he doesn't have to come in Sunday and take over because Baker is stinking up the joint.

• Beer 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Sam is backing up Baker this Sunday correct? I suspect that Sam will start the next game after this if he doesn't have to come in Sunday and take over because Baker is stinking up the joint.

I think so or it's what I am expecting to see which is why I was like WTF feels the need to rush it after Baker's performance and PJ injured? 

If it's not the next game then it would be the one after would also be my guess. Unfortunately the season doesn't end soon so there is way too many games left for everyone to get a turn or two. 

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

I think so or it's what I am expecting to see which is why I was like WTF feels the need to rush it after Baker's performance and PJ injured? 

If it's not the next game then it would be the one after would also be my guess. Unfortunately the season doesn't end soon so there is way too many games left for everyone to get a turn or two. 

We have 7 left.  Start Mayfield, then Darnold, then PJ, then start over, then start Hekker in game 17.  Imagine the uproar if the best game one of them put up was January 8th against the Saints.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

We have 7 left.  Start Mayfield, then Darnold, then PJ, then start over, then start Hekker in game 17.  Imagine the uproar if the best game one of them put up was January 8th against the Saints.

That is a little simplistic. These guys are all about the competitiveness so letting them take a shot and keeping it until they lose it is the more likely and appropriate approach IMO. Yours is fair from a logical approach but it would also undermine good play and them actually earning anything this year.

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I get the feeling that some in the building didn't believe Baker "won the competition for starting qb" as Rhule put it. But since Sam got hurt it was a moot point. Now that Sam can play that may churn things up once again.  Who knows? It is all just speculation anyway. I'm not going to lose anyway sleep over it. 

• Beer 1