• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How would you guys feel about keeping Darnold as a long term backup

hepcat

I’m seeing a lot of talk about Corral being a back up and nothing more and my question is why not see if he can be a starter? What do we know? We know that a few draft experts had Corral rated as a first round draft pick, we know he has one of the quickest releases there is, we know that Fitt traded up to get him in the 3rd round and we know he has an excellent work ethic.

We are writing him off because he literally took what, 2 or three practice snaps all of training camp because of dumb azz Matt Rhule and as a result looked awful in very limited pre season play?! You don’t say..

1 hour ago, UpstatePantherfan said:

I’m seeing a lot of talk about Corral being a back up and nothing more and my question is why not see if he can be a starter? What do we know? We know that a few draft experts had Corral rated as a first round draft pick, we know he has one of the quickest releases there is, we know that Fitt traded up to get him in the 3rd round and we know he has an excellent work ethic.

We are writing him off because he literally took what, 2 or three practice snaps all of training camp because of dumb azz Matt Rhule and as a result looked awful in very limited pre season play?! You don’t say..

Man, if PJ can turn into our Alex Smith. Teddy 2 Gloves with actual TD productions.

I don't usually tout my Michigan State guys, but if you can afford 10 bucks a month for NFL+. you can watch this kid every week. The closest thing to Barry I've ever seen. 

Kennith Walker III. RB for the Hawks. Watch him if you can. I promise it will be worth it.

7 yds per carry y'all

Edited by Gerry Green

13 hours ago, hepcat said:

Let's say after Darnold collects this year's ridiculous paycheck, he likes Charlotte and wants to stick around. The Panthers go draft a QB in the top of the draft and keep Matt Corral as well. Darnold signs a reasonable backup salary contract. How would you feel about that QB room?

That's pending PJ doesn't have a crazy awesome end to the season which I'm sad to say probably isn't happening but we can all dream!

Corral or PJ. time to get rid of the Baker and Darnold stench. 

• Pie 1

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, the odds of McAdoo being back are pretty slim.

I mean it's possible, but yeah. Don't know that I'd count on PJ sticking with a new staff either.

And if we're talking about a rookie and Corral, that's a crazy young QB room. Whoever's the vet QB of the bunch needs to be pretty solid.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean it's possible, but yeah. Don't know that I'd count on PJ sticking with a new staff either.

And if we're talking about a rookie and Corral, that's a crazy young QB room. Whoever's the vet QB of the bunch needs to be pretty solid.

I think PJ might actually be the highest possibility to return from the current five guys. Depends on how he performs the rest of the way but I don't think Darnold or Mayfield have any shot of returning. Eason isn't likely either, IMO. Corral depends on the new coach and their assessment. Fitt I would assume wants to keep him but maybe he was another Rhule choice, who knows? He definitely looked replaceable.

2023 is the perfect opportunity to reset the QB position and purge the roster of past sins.  Corral is the only QB we have under contract for 2023, and we should enter the offseason moving forward with as a given, barring PJ looking like Roger Staubach the rest of the way.

I don't see any rationale for bringing back Mayfield or Darnold.  What exactly do they offer?

Ideally, we would enter 2023 with Corral, a veteran, and a new QB from the draft.  Could that vet be PJ?  Maybe, but if so we need a magician as an QB coach, because that room essentially has two rookies thanks to Rhule's misuse/malpractice with Corral.

So, Darnold is not my first choice as a vet....or the second.....or the third.....

I feel the same way about McAdoo as OC, barring some huge epiphany with him.  Like the spirit of Don Coryell or Bill Walsh taking over his body.

• Beer 1