• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

James Robinson Trade/RE: CMC

saX man

btw---that's 1,000 more rushing yards, 11 more touchdowns, and roughly the same rec yards as CMC in the same time frame.  Yes, it would be substantially different if there were no injuries, but Robinson did actually miss ~4 games in this stretch.

Unless you think CMC is some prodigy that will now take SF deep into the playoffs, I think we faired well given the circumstances.

• Pie 4

19 minutes ago, saX man said:

btw---that's 1,000 more rushing yards, 11 more touchdowns, and roughly the same rec yards as CMC in the same time frame.  Yes, it would be substantially different if there were no injuries, but Robinson did actually miss ~4 games in this stretch.

Unless you think CMC is some prodigy that will now take SF deep into the playoffs, I think we faired well given the circumstances.

The difference is CMC can line up in the backfield, out wide, or in the slot and not be covered by most safeties or linebackers. Robinson can only line up in the backfield and catch screens and swing passes. CMC is truly a rare breed in that he honestly has the route running tree of a WR, but has the elite running ability of a RB. While there have been some great receiving RBs like Darren Sproles & James White, none of them have been elite running RBs also. Austin Ekeler is the only current RB I can think of that has a similar skill set to CMC. The question would be what do we think the Chargers would get if they traded away Ekeler. I would imagine a similar package (probably better if his contact isn't as bad).

I don't think people understand how terribly utilized CMC was for us while he was here. I would honestly have run 2 RB formations a fair amount, motioned him into the slot or iso on one side of the field, and done run/pass option based on the defensive alignment. We unfortunately have had incompetent OCs the past 5 years that have severely wasted his talent (much like the bum OCs Cam was stuck with)

• Pie 1

I liked CMC on this team as much as the next, but the idea he's a ''receiver'' is a bit overblown, he may have receiver quality hands and ability in the short to intermediate area, but he's not splitting out wide versus the best corners in the league cooking. 

He played HB in college and was drafted as one for a reason, he has a hell of a tool box, with a little more power than you 'd expect. 

But he's not a receiver, slants, screens, option routes, texas, wheels etc. are his bread and butter, with the occasional HB seam. 

Now to be fair, maybe Shanahan uses him more at the LOS, we will see which I think he'll fair well at underneath. 

We lost out on some offensive versatility with him due to injuries, and bland coordinators the last few years. 

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SetfreexX said:

I liked CMC on this team as much as the next, but the idea he's a ''receiver'' is a bit overblown, he may have receiver quality hands and ability in the short to intermediate area, but he's not splitting out wide versus the best corners in the league cooking. 

He played HB in college and was drafted as one for a reason, he has a hell of a tool box, with a little more power than you 'd expect. 

But he's not a receiver, slants, screens, option routes, texas, wheels etc. are his bread and butter, with the occasional HB seam. 

Now to be fair, maybe Shanahan uses him more at the LOS, we will see which I think he'll fair well at underneath. 

We lost out on some offensive versatility with him due to injuries, and bland coordinators the last few years. 

Teams wouldn't put their best corner on CMC unless they want to have a mismatch with a team's #1 WR vs. their #2 or worse.

And those routes you mentioned are pretty much the core of the routes you run for a WR, with the exception of a post/corner, curl, and go route (which is very difficult to do from the backfield). When he actually got the chance, CMC was pretty much uncoverable by safeties/LBs when he ran the option route of an out in the flats or an angle route. I think the only thing that would have me concerned with having him line up on the LOS is if he can get by press coverage (snapping the ball with him in motion minimizes that risk).

CMC is a future HOFer.  Robinson is not.  CMC was arguably the best receiver on the team, in fact we started playing him in the slot against the Rams.  Robinson was not.

I think if Fit would have waited a bit longer he could have gotten more.  Maybe not. 

In the end, it depends on how CMC does, the 9ers do, and what we get with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 5th.  I don't think CMC is going to go down with injury this year, I think he'll tear up.  I don't think the 9ers are going to be bottom half of the league when the dust settles.   I think they're a playoff team.  I don't think Fit is going to rock the draft in the later rounds.    We'll see.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, SetfreexX said:

We put in him in the slot against the Rams and he looked good.

9 minutes ago, poundaway said:

CMC is a future HOFer.  Robinson is not.  CMC was arguably the best receiver on the team, in fact we started playing him in the slot against the Rams.  Robinson was not.

I think if Fit would have waited a bit longer he could have gotten more.  Maybe not. 

In the end, it depends on how CMC does, the 9ers do, and what we get with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and future 5th.  I don't think CMC is going to go down with injury this year, I think he'll tear up.  I don't think the 9ers are going to be bottom half of the league when the dust settles.   I think they're a playoff team.  I don't think Fit is going to rock the draft in the later rounds.    We'll see.

The Niners have Debo Samuel and George Kittle to take some pressure off CMC.  He success there doesn't necessarily translate to success here.  We needed to clear that RB salary off our books.  Yeah we take a big his this year but that's it.  We can wash our hands of overpriced RBs and hopefully not make that mistake again....

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

The Niners have Debo Samuel and George Kittle to take some pressure off CMC.  He success there doesn't necessarily translate to success here.  We needed to clear that RB salary off our books.  Yeah we take a big his this year but that's it.  We can wash our hands of overpriced RBs and hopefully not make that mistake again....

We take a big hit next year. CMC, Robby and I assume eventually Shaq will equal about 41 million in dead cap

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The trade didn't "clear" much at all.  It moved the money to "dead cap".  We added 30 million to deadcap.

If you are going to talk about cap space to defend the CMC trade, you are scraping bottom.

• Pie 1