• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offers for Burns

Mr. Scot

46 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

If we were on the cusp on contending, I'd say we keep him, but we need so much help all over this roster that one player alone can't put this team on his shoulders.  I'm good either way, but dang if that haul isn't eye candy.

Yeah but I also don't think that we are so far away from contending that we need a fire sale. Especially for guys still on rookie deals. Expensive vets I understand.

59 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I get the thought process behind wanting the two 1st rounders but elite pass rushers are one of the three most important positions in the NFL for a reason. 

It is definitely tough to turn down 2 first round picks but finding a Burns replacement may take either draft after draft to achieve or cost an amount in free agency that we could simply just invest in Burns.

That's what people don't realize. Giving away something guaranteed for the possibility of something half as good in return is how you get to be this bad In the first place. It doesn't make you better.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

3/4 of this fanbase is only interested in draft picks. Once the pick is made, they want them traded for more picks.

half of them fancy themselves as hidden gem undiscovered draft gurus and the other half are just unaccustomed to the actual games being the thing you get excited for

36 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I think we trade him for the simple face that his pay day is coming and we are probably 2-3 years away from making a strong push to be a contender. 

Bingo.  We'd actually be doing the dude a favor.  He's getting paid anyway, at least do him a solid and allow him to get paid while going to a better team that can compete.  Burns would waste 2-3 of his prime NFL years here suffering through a rebuild.

6 minutes ago, Growl said:

half of them fancy themselves as hidden gem undiscovered draft gurus and the other half are just unaccustomed to the actual games being the thing you get excited for

They flat-out enjoy making trades, whether good or bad, far more than anything else in the sport. Read the threads around here for proof.

41 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

That's what people don't realize. Giving away something guaranteed for the possibility of something half as good in return is how you get to be this bad In the first place. It doesn't make you better.

Yeah and you can't get rid of elite QB's, LT's or pass rushers unless there is no hope of rectifying the situation. It's just too hard to ever get another one.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah and you can't get rid of elite QB's, LT's or pass rushers unless there is no hope of rectifying the situation. It's just too hard to ever get another one.

OR you get something better. 

Honestly, pass rush doesnt matter if you dont have a QB. Nothing matters if we dont have a QB. 

Trading Burns for max value gives up more options in getting a QB. 

Until you have a QB nothing else matters.. 

Edited by CanadianCat

8 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

OR you get something better. 

Honestly, pass rush doesnt matter if you dont have a QB. Nothing matters if we dont have a QB. 

Trading Burns for max value gives up more options in getting a QB. 

Until you have a QB nothing else matters.. 

Yeah, however that isn't the way you go about accomplishing that unless you plan on trading all the wealth of picks you just got to move up and get a guy you like.

We probably will be in a position to get a top caliber QB prospect this draft, so there is no reason to get rid of one of your young core players.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah, however that isn't the way you go about accomplishing that unless you plan on trading all the wealth of picks you just got to move up and get a guy you like.

We probably will be in a position to get a top caliber QB prospect this draft, so there is no reason to get rid of one of your young core players.

The only thing I can think of is the belichick model of the price doesnt justify the production and they let them walk because there just isnt that many more years left playing top level.  I dont agree with it but its certainly a strategy

Pass rushers are a premium position. The number one pick is either a QB (most common), pass rushers (2nd most common), or LT. These are the top 3 premium positions and if we have a top young player at one of these positions, we better get one hell of a return if we trade him.