• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers "listening" on Shaq Thompson also

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

You thinking a 3rd?  4rth or 5th is my guess.  Probably 5th

I think bc he can be had for so cheap is why it would be a higher pick. It might end up being a 4th and a future 5th/6th. Shaq isnt a bad LB and would be an upgrade for teams looking to win it all this year. 

The reason he would potential get a higher pick is because we are eating a lot of dead cap in any trade. So you have to suppliment that with a pick. I think we would be eating around 9-11 million in dead cap. So you backfill that with a cheap player from a draft pick. The rule of offsetting balances would apply here.

This is completely just an assumption and using contract trading logic for this scenario. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I think it might be more that other teams think they're in "fire sale" mode.

They're not, but they'll always listen to see if "an offer they can't refuse" comes down the like.

I mean, if you are Shaq, CMC, and dudes like that? 

This is their window to do something.  So if they want a ring and a shot to compete you have to ask out.  Simple as that.  Rebuild is coming and their ages don't align with Carolina being a place they can do anything but collect a check from. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Shaq's base next year is ~$12.2m so it's more like $13m for 1.5 seasons. Dead cap doesn't matter honestly, might as well take the poison in this lost year because he's likely to be cut in the offseason if he doesn't take a drastic pay cut anyway.

thanks for calling that out. It was a typo on my side. I meant to put 12 million. I went back and corrected it. Thats a cheap contract for someone of his talent set. It's hard to find a decent pass covering linebacker in the NFL. If Shaq could catch, he would have 3 picks on the year and potentially 2 TDs, haha.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think it might be more that other teams think they're in "fire sale" mode.

They're not, but they'll always listen to see if "an offer they can't refuse" comes down the like.

Some of these reports are other teams seeing us like a vulture sees a corpse. 

I don't have a problem with Shaq, and he has shown some badly needed leadership (especially tough with our previous brain trust).  He is a decent LB that is starting to creep up in years.

His major issue is his contract.  He's not Lawrence Taylor, but Hurney figured if he paid him like Luke he would become Luke.  The contract issue can be worked out, especially since his next contract may be his last.  But that is up to him and the team, based on what we see in the remaining weeks.

That said, if somebody offers the right price, his contract is the one that garners the evil eye now that RA is gone.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1