• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let’s talk about Shaq and YGM

Cdparr7

Most people on the board are aware of Shaq’s age and financial burden on the team. Trading him or cutting him makes sense this off-season. Especially with Luvu,  Smith, and whoever we may bring in with draft capital we may acquire for him. What would be a good deal for Shaq?

YGM has never really turned into the Mike Rucker people thought he would be. (Look at his production and 46.5 PFF grade). Edge rushers are valuable, especially young ones with rookie contracts. What kind of compensation do you think the Panthers would get for YGM?  

Shaq is an overrated JAG who is insanely overpaid. Looking forward to moving on from that bloated contract. He has never lived up to his hype and simply isn't a difference maker. You could argue that Luvu has impacted the outcome of our games more this season in his first year at LB than Shaq has his entire career.

YGM is another JAG (at best) but at least he's on a rookie deal. Decent depth I guess but doubt we'd even notice if we moved on from him.

edit: inb4 top dawg slams me.

Edited by therealmjl
  • Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 4

The biggest problem with Shaq is his contract.  It was another example of Hurney thinking that if we pay a guy like he is one of the best, he will become one of the best.

With RA gone, Shaq is the third highest salary next year and, if I am not mistaken, provides the biggest cap relief.  Of course, dumping/trading him is only one solution to that problem.  We have the rest of the season to figure out what options are worth it, unless somebody pushes a lot of chips into the center of the table for him.

• Pie 2

29 minutes ago, therealmjl said:

Shaq is an overrated JAG who is insanely overpaid. Looking forward to moving on from that bloated contract. He has never lived up to his hype and simply isn't a difference maker. You could argue that Luvu has impacted the outcome of our games more this season in his first year at LB than Shaq has his entire career.

YGM is another JAG (at best) but at least he's on a rookie deal. Decent depth I guess but doubt we'd even notice if we moved on from him.

i dont think you know what a jag is

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

49 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Shaq 28 years old OMGz so old

He will be 29 next season- about the same age as Kuechly when he retired. Thomas Davis lasting as long as he did was an anomaly and partly due to him not taking hits on his body for 3 years due to his ACL issues. 

1 hour ago, therealmjl said:

Yeah, pretty much. Shaq is okay. He wouldn't be a problem if he was paid like a run of the mill starting LB but he's nowhere near the difference maker he's paid to be. I have no idea why the Panthers organization has always thought so highly of him as a player. I've never seen any signs of a special player.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2