• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sounds like Scott Fitterer will continue as Panthers GM in '23

TheSpecialJuan

16 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Burns, Brown and Chinn are the next ones up. Burns is the only one that gets done before the season though. I doubt Fitts restructures more than 1-2 players to get cap relief for next year.  Again, we are like #9 in cap room for 2024.  I'm not sweating it.  If Fitts can get like $25-$30 in cap relief for 2023, that's all we need.  Nobody is expecting us to go to the playoffs.  So zero splash signings in free agency.  With about 73% of the roster already on the books, most of them our starters and key pieces, we can round out the roster with team friendly deals for depth pieces.

Ok.  Cut Shaq and Elf. That about zero. Now 10M for Moton, 18M for Moore , 10M for Burns. Not much else to get. That’s 38-40M. Minus 10M for picks, 8-10M to operate, That leaves 18-20M to improve over worst team in the league. And somehow get cap relief. Whatever that is? 

Edited by Toomers

1 minute ago, Krovvy said:

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be similar with the Gettleman years? By that I mean half the fanbase will fawn over him, while completely ignoring blunders, or blame them on the coach.

So far, he's not shown he can evaluate quarterbacks, has made some exceptionally poor trades, and has certainly been poor at cap management. We're the worst team in the league, and this is with the man trying to trade the house for cheap wins. Him egregiously going after Deshaun Watson this off-season should give every fan pause.

The way he tried to hail Marry for Watson is enough for me not trust him. Do you really want a gambler? Because that's what the move for Watson was, betting the house on a man with entirely questionable moral character, that hasn't played the sport in what will be two years.

I wouldn't trust him, and I don't see how the owner could as well, unless they're really two peas in a pod.

I broke up with Gettlegut when he pulled Normans tag and that awful 2016(bulter one) draft.

Not married to Finnessererer, in the meetup at parks dating faze. Open to more or ready to move to an better prospect.....

Just now, BeenPounding said:

Honestly, with the current dog and pony show that is the Carolina Panthers I don't think anyone is connected enough to know what's going on.  Especially those on Mint St.

That's what I was thinking. Tepper didn't leak anything about Rhule getting fired, it was announced on the team website. Tepper is the guy that would also fire Fitt if he makes that decision

Just read through the thread. Yeah, yeah this is similar to the Gettleman years, where the GM is somehow above reproach. However, Fitterer has a gambler mentality whereas Gettleman was entirely conservative in his approach.

Going into the most important off-season in over a decade with a man that, at best, was a fool's puppet. 😓

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

interesting that we are qworking out linebackers. Are we shipping someone out? Did someone get hurt this past game?

IDK, but watching the game it was a straight 4-3 look. No 3-3-5, no 3-4, no hybrid BS. Base D was 4-3 nearly the whole time. They must be on the lookout for 4-3 LBs, not 3-4 ala Luvu/haynes....

my opinion and all

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

Don't we get a dollar for dollar credit for unused cap space?  According to OTC, we have .5 million of cap space for 2023.  If we get our 10.2 million credit, get Shaq to take a cut or walk, lose Elf, we won't really be in that bad of a spot.  If the Saints can make it work after all the Breese extensions, we can make it work.  TBT, our Defense would look SOOOOOOO much better if they weren't on the field 70% of each game.  That's why they are dropping like flies.  They have played the equivalent of 10 games 6 games into the season.

If I am a perspective coach, and I have this defense, a potential #1 (at least top 5) pick in the first two rounds, and a winnable division, I'd hop on it.  The Jimmy Clausen year was tough to stomach, but worth the run from 2011 - 2019.  This might be as ugly as the Vinny/St. Pierre year.  Maybe McAdoo can draw up some wildcat formations at the local Radisson!

When you review Fitt's works as a GM, he has actively tried to fix all of the roster problems. He has drafted positions of need with relative success (Horn, Ickey), he has signed good O-line men, decent linebackers, etc. He has traded for CB help when we were thin. He's even tried to fix the QB position. Not all of his trades have worked out but he is ACTIVELY TRYING. I prefer a GM who is actively trying to fix issues instead of sit back and wait and be conservative. 

I think he deserves a chance to act on his own without Rhule. 

9 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Ok.  Cut Shaq and Elf. That about zero. Now 10M for Moton, 18M for Moore , 10M for Burns. Not much else to get. That’s 38-40M. Minus 10M for picks, 8-10M to operate, That leaves 18-20M to improve over worst-COACHED-team in the league. And somehow get cap relief. Whatever that is? 

This is hardly the worst roster in the League.  We lack a competent QB from being good.  I said good, not great.  Cap relief is enough cap space to make the necessary signings to complete your roster.

• Pie 1