• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just how deeply disliked was Matt Rhule?

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

He wasn't just a coach though.

He was in charge of "the program" and from what we're hearing it sounds as though he was treating staff like peons.

It's not the players who are speaking out...yet.

He was responsible for essentially everything from my vantage point. He may have treated some like peons, per se, but I get the feeling that it was more about staff members' perceptions surrounding Rhule's desire to control and micromanage. Moreover, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that some of the players had their issues and were talking among themselves and with past players like Kuechly, CJ and Smitty. 

This may not be necessarily liked or disliked, but I was thinking about Cams exit presser last year about not all guys not buying the BS. Vets are too smart for the Rhule college stuff, and young guys are usually too overwhelmed in the first place to know that it's BS. At the end of the day if you're losing games, people have kinda mailed it in whether they realize it or not

• Pie 6

33 minutes ago, top dawg said:

He was responsible for essentially everything from my vantage point. He may have treated some like peons, per se, but I get the feeling that it was more about staff members' perceptions surrounding Rhule's desire to control and micromanage. Moreover, I wouldn't doubt for a minute that some of the players had their issues and were talking among themselves and with past players like Kuechly, CJ and Smitty. 

That’s not unusual for college coaches. But at the pro level, yeah.

I mean, do you think Bill Belichick checks what’s on the team’s Twitter feed?

• Beer 1

I think anyone that's had a micromanager boss can agree that going into work is a dreadful thing. I get a handful of players having sympathy for him, I don't hate my former bosses now that I don't work for them anymore, if you knows it's coming to an end you can kinda conjure up some kind of sympathy or something

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, Biscuit said:

He was brought in to build a program. Develop a culture of winning. He wasn't brought in for x's and o's. It was a good idea. He just couldn't translate his proven blueprint to the pros. Winning with innovative football on the field is what builds teams at this level.

The problem with that is that it's exactly backwards.  Want to build a winning culture?  It's easy.  WIN.

Certain things you can influence.  Don't bring in a bunch of sleazebag players.  Ask the players you have to give maximum effort.

Then you have to do your part as a coach.  Take the players you have, figure out their strengths and weaknesses, then create a program that gets the most out of them.  Dial up the right schemes and plays.

All of that leads to winning, and winning then creates the winning culture.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

I think the more apropos title would be, "How disliked was Matt Rhule as a coach?" I do believe that as a person, some people actually liked him. I think that his coaching philosophy was a dark cloud over all, but that when players and staff actually have time to reflect over time, they'll be able to discriminate between the two. Rhule's modus operandi seems more a match for developing college and high school kids than developing men in a professional setting. 

I think that Rhule likes to impose his control, and that doesnt necessarily work well with free grown men. Men control themselves if they believe in a process that shows results. 

Sometimes you don't realize how toxic a relationship is until you get a bit of distance from it.

• Beer 3

9 hours ago, Chief Keek said:

What a surprise, a college coach operating like he's at a college. Who would've thought? Good grief, I'm glad they put a end to this chapter. Rhule couldn't hit the road soon enough.

Some guys never really leave college. They're always a problem later on in the real world.

• Pie 1

It seems that to succeed at the college level, you have to build a culture that recruits for you, and with the better players you attract you can build a winner. There's just that much difference between the top and bottom players. If you hit the sweet spot at each level of the conferences, you can get some wins and make your mark.

In the NFL, it's completely different since there are rules for parity throughout the system. Here, you've got  to win first and the culture develops organically from there. Even when it comes to free agent recruitment, money and opportunity matter more than marketing does.

I think that's where all of this points to: grabbing college coaches is just grabbing the wrong tool for the wrong job. We've just been treated to a case in point. Let's not do that again.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

This may not be necessarily liked or disliked, but I was thinking about Cams exit presser last year about not all guys not buying the BS. Vets are too smart for the Rhule college stuff, and young guys are usually too overwhelmed in the first place to know that it's BS. At the end of the day if you're losing games, people have kinda mailed it in whether they realize it or not

When Cam said this, I knew there were problems 

Why?

because in all of Cam’s  years with Carolina and the Pats, including when Rhule threw him under the bus for not knowing the playbook after 17 days, an incident Steve Smith recently referenced,  Newton  NEVER SAID ANTHUNG BAD ABOUT ANYONE   Ever 

• Pie 4

On 10/10/2022 at 10:11 PM, Biscuit said:

He was brought in to build a program. Develop a culture of winning. He wasn't brought in for x's and o's. It was a good idea. He just couldn't translate his proven blueprint to the pros. Winning with innovative football on the field is what builds teams at this level.

How many NFL head coaches are successful when they are brought in purely for program building? That's the job of a GM in this league. You need a coach who gets the X's and O's so the players can relate.

• Pie 1