• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Regarding Micah Parsons

Peon Awesome

Guy is truly remarkable. No doubt about it. Yet, doesn't it seem almost inevitable that had we drafted him, Snow would have utilized him as a sideline-to-sideline coverage LB? And then we'd have a half-dozen threads ridiculing the Panthers for wasting a top 10 pick on a coverage linebacker, one of the least valued positions in football. 

Now the main reason I bring this up is, how many players are we similarly underutilizing by our bad coaching? Would Brian Burns be competing with Parsons and Garrett for the sack title this year? Would Chinn be a 1st team all pro strong safety? Does McCaffrey have another 1000/1000 yard season, become unanimous comeback player of the year and serious candidate for offensive player of the year? The list goes on. It really makes you wonder how much talent we're potentially wasting. 

• Pie 2

God. Imagine following up the Luke Kuechly era with the Micah Parsons era, flanked by Shaq and Luvu. Best LB corps in the league.

I still don't understand that pick. A shutdown CB is nice, but when you have the opportunity for a 10+ year MLB and field general, I don't know why you wouldn't take it. After 12 years of Beason and Luke, it's strange for MLB to not be the centerpiece of our defense.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 3

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I keep reading on here people disucssing a "fire sale" if/once this coaching staff is fired. I dont think the next coach will see it that way. They will see this as a roster with young talent that hasnt been utilized correctly. Teams are winning in the NFL with less.

Some players get ruined. They get too far behind and solidify bad habits due to poor development early on. Mentally and maybe physically. I forgot who it was but a well known coach said it will make or break all but the most elite players. Maybe Parcells?

I have a feeling Brown will be one of those. Sam Darnold is one of those I believe as well. Burrns and Chinn, hopefully they’re in that ‘elite category” but you never know. We basically saw this in Cleveland for the better part of the past two decades.

Many former players have come out and said the FO just didn’t give a poo and it ruined a lot of talent. The career in the NFL is already so short, fuging up that small learning curve window really fugs players. Even if they recover, they’ll probably never be what they could have been.

Thank you Tepper.

2 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Some players get ruined. They get too far behind and solidify bad habits due to poor development early on. Mentally and maybe physically. I forgot who it was but a well known coach said it will make or break all but the most elite players. Maybe Parcells?

I have a feeling Brown will be one of those. Sam Darnold is one of those I believe as well. Burrns and Chinn, hopefully they’re in that ‘elite category” but you never know. We basically saw this in Cleveland for the better part of the past two decades.

Many former players have come out and said the FO just didn’t give a poo and it ruined a lot of talent. The career in the NFL is already so short, fuging up that small learning curve window really fugs players. Even if they recover, they’ll probably never be what they could have been.

Thank you Tepper.

Calling out Brown after this past Sunday seems out of place. He was defintely one of the best players on the field from the all-22.

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 6

Our coaching staff seems to over-emphasize versatility to the detriment of the team and the players themselves.  Like just because a player is able to play another position decently well, doesn't mean you need to give them X number of snaps a game at that position to utilize that versatility.  Just put them where they excel and leave them there.

I'd like to think Parsons probably would have been used a good bit to rush the passer, but we almost definitely would've tried to get too cute with him and pull him back and play him in coverage and in the box as a stand-up LBer just because "versatility".  I seriously doubt he'd be the game-changer he is with the Cowboys.

• Pie 2

We took a stand-up pass rushing LB in the first round of the draft, moved him to stand-up DE and then we play him as a coverage DE.

Yeah, we know what we're doing.

Burns was picked to fit  Rivera's effort to move the team to a 3-4 defense. Rivera never got the chance to fully implement that and so we end up using Burns in a position that doesn't play to his strengths and magnifies his weaknesses.

We've been doing that a lot with good to great players here -- turning them into lackluster versions of themselves.

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, Captroop said:

God. Imagine following up the Luke Kuechly era with the Micah Parsons era, flanked by Shaq and Luvu. Best LB corps in the league.

I still don't understand that pick. A shutdown CB is nice, but when you have the opportunity for a 10+ year MLB and field general, I don't know why you wouldn't take it. After 12 years of Beason and Luke, it's strange for MLB to not be the centerpiece of our defense.

We actually nailed that already, and decided to put him as far away from the ball as possible at free safety.