• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Your top two HC hires after they flip Rhule..

Jmac

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gruden won a Super Bowl too.

It's what happened after that...

Basically, if you want a guy who can be successful for maybe three or four years, Harbaugh works.

If you're hoping for something longer than that though, you might be disappointed.

And if he doesn't win a Super Bowl in that window (like he didn't in San Francisco) youll have wasted your time.

2011- what was a rebuild year- 13-3 and a NFC Championship loss to the Giants (who won it all) He revived Alex Smith's career

2012- 11-4-1 back to back NFCW titles and a Super Bowl loss by 3 points to his brother

2013- 12-4 3rd consecutive NFC Championship game and a loss by 6 to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

BUT the season you are talking about is the ONE season he didn't make the playoffs in 2014.  They wanted to fire him before the season was over because of a power struggle with him and GM Trent Baalke. They were still 8-8

Oh and once they replaced him they didn't have another winning season until 2019.... They finished 5-11 in 2015 and fired they new coach after 1 year.  Sounds like they were having some GM issues to me.  

So you are assuming he wouldn't keep being successful because he had one year where he went 8-8????  Hell that would be the most successful 4 years of our franchise.  His success after 4 years is pure speculation at this point.

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Demeco Ryans is interesting. Jonathan Gannon too.

Flores I'm honestly not that certain of. I think fans overrate him somewhat.

I like Dorsey (and he's got the Greg Olsen endorsement) but it still seems too soon for him.

I saw the Olsen endorsement yesterday and ran with it lol. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

2011- what was a rebuild year- 13-3 and a NFC Championship loss to the Giants (who won it all) He revived Alex Smith's career

2012- 11-4-1 back to back NFCW titles and a Super Bowl loss by 3 points to his brother

2013- 12-4 3rd consecutive NFC Championship game and a loss by 6 to the eventual Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

BUT the season you are talking about is the ONE season he didn't make the playoffs in 2014.  They wanted to fire him before the season was over because of a power struggle with him and GM Trent Baalke. They were still 8-8

Oh and once they replaced him they didn't have another winning season until 2019.... They finished 5-11 in 2015 and fired they new coach after 1 year.  Sounds like they were having some GM issues to me.  

So you are assuming he wouldn't keep being successful because he had one year where he went 8-8????  Hell that would be the most successful 4 years of our franchise.  His success after 4 years is pure speculation at this point.

If it really were just a power struggle with the ownership, I wouldn't have any issue.

The reasons things started going downhill in his fourth year was because, as mentioned, a load of his players absolutely hated his guts.

In Harbaugh, you're basically getting offense minded Mike Zimmer on steroids.

Biggest worries about a coaching search...

- David Tepper needs to stay the hell away from the entire process; I seriously doubt he will though, which sucks because when it comes to football, everything he touches turns to sh-t

- If he insists on a "splash hire", things could go really really bad; we'll go out and waste money on a big name whilr likely missing out on a much better option

- a lot of attention will be given to uoung offensive coaches which means some older, more experienced (and frankly better qualified) coaches could be passed over

Qualifications and experience matter, but too many get caught up with the hot name. That's why a lot of people who go looking for the next Sean McVay instead wind up finding the next Joe Brady.

46 minutes ago, Xtreme said:

Ken Dorsey would be the most realistic and safe hire, IMO.

Dark Horse: Kellen Moore

Not sure why some are mentioning Jim Harbaugh. He said he's done with the NFL. I mean, sure, money talks, but I think he prefers college. 

He interviewed for the Vikings job before the season and didn't get it. I think that "done" stuff was his ego talking.

No inside info but I think the Panthers would be a very attractive job for him and with a .695 NFL win percentage he SHOULD be our #1 target.

Some of these upstart coaches have to assemble a staff. Jim Harbaugh has his Roladex of seasoned NFL coordinators ready to go to war with him.

40 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

If it really were just a power struggle with the ownership, I wouldn't have any issue.

The reasons things started going downhill in his fourth year was because, as mentioned, a load of his players absolutely hated his guts.

I would find it hard to believe a load of players hate the guts of the coach that is consistently getting them into the NFC championship game. He took a struggling team and immediately made them better. I’m sure some there were some players there for paychecks and were chewed out got their feelings hurt. 
I’ve read about the power struggle and you have read about players.
Why would a team fire a coach in the middle of a season after he just took their franchise to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row. That sounds like a power struggle to me. 

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I would find it hard to believe a load of players hate the guts of the coach that is consistently getting them into the NFC championship game. He took a struggling team and immediately made them better. I’m sure some there were some players there for paychecks and were chewed out got their feelings hurt. 
I’ve read about the power struggle and you have read about players.
Why would a team fire a coach in the middle of a season after he just took their franchise to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row. That sounds like a power struggle to me. 

The same thing happened to Gruden. Mike Zimmer too. Honestly, I won't be surprised if it starts happening to more "authoritarian" types with younger players.

The info is out there to read about.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If college is ROTC, professional football is special forces. We need military type discipline back in that building. NOBODY would bring it like Jim Harbaugh.

.695 win percentage in four years?! Players better shut up and be lead to win. They'll be happy later.

The NFL is war, you need a strong general in command. Plus he's a former long time NFL QB. HE knows the grind. He knows the discipline.

Edited by rippadonn

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The same thing happened to Gruden. Mike Zimmer too. Honestly, I won't be surprised if it starts happening to more "authoritarian" types with younger players.

The info is out there to read about.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure Gruden’s emails are the reason he is gone. The Raiders recent issues were bad drafting. The HC for the Patriots seems to be ok with his “authoritarian” style.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-49ers-got-rid-of-jim-harbaugh-2014-12?amp

The overwhelming consensus is that Harbaugh is leaving because his relationship with the front office — specifically, general manager Trent Baalke and CEO Jed York — fell apart to a point in which he couldn't work there anymore.

Damn, on a side note, I didn’t realize they tried to trade him to the Browns. I’d be pissed too!