• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers best draft vs. worst draft?

YourLastThought

11 minutes ago, coffee said:

I have said some nasty things about Gettleman so, in fairness, I need to acknowledge that you are correct about him having one of our best drafts.

It's quite painful to me to have to accept that two of our best drafts were by Seifert and Gettleman.

What's funny is that both those drafts were too little too late and the last things either actually did for the org. 

Great parting gifts. Both better than either of Hurney's.

Looking back, the 2013 draft is kind of underrated. There were only 5 picks which I think knocks the ranking down, but the talent in that draft was pretty damn good and all but one player has had some success in the NFL:

1st Star - Great run stopper, just not a pass rusher. Ate double teams and kept Luke Clean for years. Our Run D went to poo the moment we got rid of him.

2nd KK - Best DT we have had since Jenkins. Injuries derailed his career in the end but when healthy he's an all timer at the position for this franchise

4th Kubila - never did anything

5th AJ Klein - One of the best backup LBers in the NFL in his time with us and played great when Luke went down with concussions. Even earned a captain patch multiple years with us and eventually got paid in NO where he was an average starter. Great 5th round value.

6th Kenjon Barner - Didn't stick with us but he has won 3 SB rings and has made a career as a highly sought out ST player in the NFL. I think he was just recently released this offseason but the fact he has been able to play as long as he has as a 6th round RB is impressive. A great career ST player in the 6th round.

2 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

What's funny is that both those drafts were too little too late and the last things either actually did for the org. 

Great parting gifts. Both better than either of Hurney's.

I've never believed that Richardson waiting until after all the offseason work was already done to pull the trigger was an accident.

2009 - 2011 were all bad.  I think 2009 was the worst.

2009:  The only pick that worked out was in the 7th round.....let that sink in.

2010:  LaFell and Hardy were fine, but they were sandwiched around Pickles and Armanti Edwards.  And we all know what happened Hardy. 

2011:  After making the obvious #1 pick, we should have traded every other pick away for something....anything.  As somebody said, we were drafting #1 in every round.  The only thing that saved it from being worse (Cam aside) was that we didn't have a second round pick to waste.  Cam saves this from being worse than 2009 which is hard to do.

Dishonorable mention:  1998 was nothing to be proud of, either.  Then there was 2019.  Take Burns out of that, and you get Little and Grier.  Daley was picked

The best is saved for last:

2001: As was said, picking Morgan, Jenkins, and Smitty in the first three rounds and then getting a decent backup-level QB in round four is rather impressive.  The fact that the backup QB was forced into being a starter is not the draft's fault.

2007: Among our first four picks were Beason, Kalil, and Charles Johnson.  Not too shabby

2017:  Three picks in the first two rounds net CMC, Samuel, and Moton.  We also made a hit in the 7th round.....and then got rid of him (Butker).

2013:  Deceptively good.  Of our six picks, we got Star and Short.  AJ Klein had a decent career (only 4 years of it here), and Barner was in the league for about 8 years.

• Pie 1