• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is a Successful Season? And is it a regime saving season (If not, what is)?

davos

What's a successful season?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What's a successful season? Sorting this by what would be an improvement over 2021 record.

• 6-7 wins, no playoffs but team seems improved
    • 8-9 wins, no playoffs, team is noticeably improved (I.E. Baker is promising)
    • 8-9 wins, last wildcard
    • 10+ wins, playoff berth
    • Record schmecord, we need a playoff appearance and playoff win

I've seen this topic come up in a few threads and figured to make one of its own as it seems to stir up the most lively debate.

For me:

The BRAND/Process is 10-23, coming off a 7-game losing streak.  I'm at the end of the rope and they simply need to start winning.  Players looking good and going 8-9/9-8 does not cut it.  Winning record & playoffs are a must.  And in addition, the playoff appearance cannot be an embarrassment or blowout.  Time to put up or shut up, not going to be impressed with things simply seeming better and the record only marginally better.

They improved the OL, CMC is back, have a playoff winning QB/best since pre-Watt Cam, and a solid D (fingers crossed on run-D).  There is no excuse to end up 8-9ish with these guys in a wide open NFC.  

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

10+ Wins for me but if I get a wild card, I'm

sure at that point in time I’ll have a different mindset. Depends on how bad we lost and how good we won.

Yup, it's kind of why I thought to add that last line.  Record aside, playoffs and no embarrassment in them would be nice, and heck, maybe we get a playoff win.   I just don't see how some would accept just a bit of improvement to some mediocre record and no playoffs ESPECIALLY considering the NFC. 

There's basically TB & LAR.  Green Bay should still be set even without WRs but the rest...

Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, 49ers, Cards? I feel like this roster can definitely compete with those squads.  Looking at the rosters, we stack up with those teams and not the Falcons, Bears, Commies of the world.

17 minutes ago, davos said:

Yup, it's kind of why I thought to add that last line.  Record aside, playoffs and no embarrassment in them would be nice, and heck, maybe we get a playoff win.   I just don't see how some would accept just a bit of improvement to some mediocre record and no playoffs ESPECIALLY considering the NFC. 

There's basically TB & LAR.  Green Bay should still be set even without WRs but the rest...

Eagles, Cowboys, Vikings, 49ers, Cards? I feel like this roster can definitely compete with those squads.  Looking at the rosters, we stack up with those teams and not the Falcons, Bears, Commies of the world.

Pending on Hurts… that eagles team could go deep. Fly Eagles or Die

Edited by TheCasillas
  • Pie 1

Playoffs and playoff win, don’t care what round or slot, none of that 7-9 one and done bullshit our fans love so much. 

You absolutely do NOT let Rhule Have all the power and resources he’s been given to not see this year 3

I hope to god this 7 year talk is some bs

Edited by onmyown

Making the playoffs

You can clamor for a playoff win all you want but the same people demanding a playoff win also have the Panthers as a 6 win team.

You can't scream we want wins and make the playoffs and be mad that we made the playoffs and not win.

Baby steps....now do we make the playoffs? Thats another discussion.

Edited by Panthercougar68
  • Pie 1

I don't really know to be completely honest because there are so many IF'S that could occur during an entire season in the NFL.

but I do know this...&  that is all that I care about for right now is getting a Win against our next opponent which is the Cleveland Browns & starting the year off 1-0..

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Making the playoffs

You can clamor for a playoff win all you want but the same people demanding a playoff win also have the Panthers as a 6 win team.

You can't scream we want wins and make the playoffs and be mad that we made the playoffs and not win.

Baby steps....now do we make the playoffs? Thats another discussion.

Sure you can. It's entirely possible to back into the playoffs and look terrible down the stretch, then getting waxed in the Wild Card. That's not the objective and IMO should still get Rhule axed even though it likely wouldn't.

That said, this sin't a question that can really be definitively answered at this point. I am highly skeptical of Rhule but think it's more about the team actually looking like they're an NFL team. Maybe the team only gets 5-7 wins, but did they actually hang in against quality competition and look like they know what football at the NFl level means? That might be OK. 

They looked pathetic last year. Anything like like that that shows a continued failure to strategize and understand the NFL game, even if they eke out some wins, is not acceptable.

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Sure you can. It's entirely possible to back into the playoffs and look terrible down the stretch, then getting waxed in the Wild Card. That's not the objective and IMO should still get Rhule axed even though it likely wouldn't.

That said, this sin't a question that can really be definitively answered at this point. I am highly skeptical of Rhule but think it's more about the team actually looking like they're an NFL team. Maybe the team only gets 5-7 wins, but did they actually hang in against quality competition and look like they know what football at the NFl level means? That might be OK. 

They looked pathetic last year. Anything like like that that shows a continued failure to strategize and understand the NFL game, even if they eke out some wins, is not acceptable.

I believe you can't. You want improvement but a playoff berth is an improvement in the black and white sense.

The offense looked pathetic last year. I'm not high on Rhule either but this team is starting to get the markings of a new team as opposed to the "don't care" team of 2019. Players can help bad coaching...see 2021 Cincy.

2 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

I believe you can't. You want improvement but a playoff berth is an improvement in the black and white sense.

The offense looked pathetic last year. I'm not high on Rhule either but this team is starting to get the markings of a new team as opposed to the "don't care" team of 2019. Players can help bad coaching...see 2021 Cincy.

The Bengals had a horrible O-line and schemed around it obviously with the help of Burrow. Also their 2nd half adjustment on D vs the Chiefs was something we've never seen Snow be able to pull off. The lack of adjustments is what kills this college style staff after the first couple scripted drives. Hopefully McAdoo can get the offense going but I also question going from the Joe Brady only 6 plays in the book style to the McAdoo playbook with so many options you can't make up your mind and get everyone on the same page

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

As one example 2021 Cincy won the AFCCG thanks to their 'bad coaching' changing up the defensive strategy mid-game, something that we've never seen from this staff.. that's not at all comparable. Getting to the playoffs after stumbling around and playing terrible football, picking into it, may not be likely but it is possible and is exactly why I said what I said. It's about how things happen as much as what happens.

Mediocrity is not the goal and if there aren't signs of fundamental team elevation even if the team ekes out a couple of wins 2020 style, then Rhule can hit the road.

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

The Bengals had a horrible O-line and schemed around it obviously with the help of Burrow. Also their 2nd half adjustment on D vs the Chiefs was something we've never seen Snow be able to pull off. The lack of adjustments is what kills this college style staff after the first couple scripted drives. Hopefully McAdoo can get the offense going but I also question going from the Joe Brady only 6 plays in the book style to the McAdoo playbook with so many options you can't make up your mind and get everyone on the same page

I will acknowledge when I say coaching I'm talking about Rhule and hopefully his new hires assist him in improving the team. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

As one example 2021 Cincy won the AFCCG thanks to their 'bad coaching' changing up the defensive strategy mid-game, something that we've never seen from this staff.. that's not at all comparable. Getting to the playoffs after stumbling around and playing terrible football, picking into it, may not be likely but it is possible and is exactly why I said what I said. It's about how things happen as much as what happens.

Mediocrity is not the goal and if there aren't signs of fundamental team elevation even if the team ekes out a couple of wins 2020 style, then Rhule can hit the road.

Yeah regardless of how well Baker and others play, if we can't make halftime adjustments and manage time outs Rhule and Snow just aren't capable of getting it done.