• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Other teams' releases

Mr. Scot

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Tampa used TE by committee. That really hurt Howard's production.

This is Thomas' numbers.  His rookie year was decent, but look at the past three years of production and Rhule said..."let's re-sign this guy!"

image.png.9183caf84725147bb20383ce174fb000.png

Ian's average was about 150 yards over the past three seasons with roughly one TD per season, one catch a game coming to a whopping 9.5 yards/game average with at 59% catch rate!!! That's TE1 material if I've ever seen it!

Yeah, I was big on Ian and his potential since we drafted him. Loved the pick, but it just seems like, even despite the constant vouch from Olsen, that he just doesn't have "it."  Whatever it is.  We re-signed him, so we can only hope for the best now...  maybe a bit of a late bloomer like Barnidge was.  But regardless of what Ian does or doesnt do, I feel like Howard should be brought in if he is released.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, I was big in Ian and his potential since we drafted him. Loved the pick, but it just seems like, even despite the constant vouch from Olsen, that he just doesn't have "it."  Whatever it is.  We re-signed him, so we can only hope for the best now...  maybe a bit of a late bloomer like Barnidge was.  But regardless of what Ian does or doesnt do, I feel like Howard should be brought in if he is released.

TE is our weak link on offense and I don't think anyone would or even could dispute that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

In 2020 Howard only played in four games and about matched Ian's season total. I'm not exactly sure what happen to Howard last year, but Ian Thomas has never put up more than 350 yards in a season.  Howard has done it three times; just under 600 yards in 2018 which is more than Thomas' totals the last three year COMBINED.

Again, take his draft status out of it.  Who is the better TE, Howard or Thomas?  It isn't even close.

I'm not arguing whos the better player is, I've been following Howard since he got drafted because I was so sure he'd be the next great TE. His potential alone is why I wouldn't mind it because I know what he could be and what he's done.

But because I've been following Howard, I can say I wouldn't expect much from him. Hell I'd expect more from Ebron off the couch. If he gets beat out by Geoff Swain -- a guy who's career receiving statistics are slightly better than ITs season last year -- and the guy whos backing that guy up, on top of not being able to step up last season when the Bucs had numerous receiving options, the only reason why you'd expect anything of him is because he was a former first round pick with a couple of good seasons.

10 hours ago, Rags said:

I'm not arguing whos the better player is, I've been following Howard since he got drafted because I was so sure he'd be the next great TE. His potential alone is why I wouldn't mind it because I know what he could be and what he's done.

But because I've been following Howard, I can say I wouldn't expect much from him. Hell I'd expect more from Ebron off the couch. If he gets beat out by Geoff Swain -- a guy who's career receiving statistics are slightly better than ITs season last year -- and the guy whos backing that guy up, on top of not being able to step up last season when the Bucs had numerous receiving options, the only reason why you'd expect anything of him is because he was a former first round pick with a couple of good seasons.

???? Swaim plays for the Titans.  If you are talking about Knox, he had a good season last year as is still on the rise, plus the Bills drafted another TE this year.  The Bills have two guys they are developing on cheap rookie deals. They save $1.6M by cutting Howard (he's on a 2-year deal that's in reality just a 1-year). So it would make sense to let Howard go as a 1-year rental, let him compete elsewhere , save some money and develop the young TEs they already have.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

???? Swaim plays for the Titans.  If you are talking about Knox, he had a good season last year as is still on the rise, plus the Bills drafted another TE this year.  The Bills have two guys they are developing on cheap rookie deals. They save $1.6M by cutting Howard (he's on a 2-year deal that's in reality just a 1-year). So it would make sense to let Howard go as a 1-year rental, let him compete elsewhere , save some money and develop the young TEs they already have.

Tommy Sweeny. No idea why i said Swain I had. A horrible brain fart. 

That said Tommy Sweeny is NOT a young developing TE, cheaper option yeah. But he's been in the NFL for 3 years and is already 27. He's on the last year of his contract and had 9 catches last year. And a quick search on Quintin Morris shows he's an udfa last year. We have two developing TEs in Tremble and Sullivan by that logic.  O.J.'s getting cut, after being a back up the past 3 years, he could not make it as a back up for a team that would like extra TE depth. 

I really would not mind it, but honestly I really wouldn't expect him to overtake ian/Tommy as TE1/2 (I really do think Tommy takes the 1 spot sooner rather than later), and while I like him more than Ian we're stuck with him til after next season, and the only reason I like Howard is because he's a former first round pick who had a solid rookie season at TE.

That said he has an absurdly high first down catch rate so fug it can't be worse than Sullivan.

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 1