• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ICKEY

MechaZain

11 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

I only see your opinion, do tell link the all 22 footage and break it down for us why don't you?

While you are at it tell me what his issue was on those plays because those who actually understand the dynamics of an offensive line can tell you.

Hands low and wide. Ineffective punch. Target for long pass rushers, speed rushers, and tacticians.

No balance and leverage in pass sets.

Plays high. High hips. Centers weight over toes. This will lead to him adjusting slowly to stunts and getting turned opening an easy lane to the QB.

In pass blocking you will also see him get over aggressive with a punch when he is desperate and feels like he is beat. This will lead to him over extending and lunging. He is known for even leaving his feet during this punch in pass sets.

His kick slide is going to be tested often. He kicks 2 yards in 3 kicks instead of 3 yards consistently and this will lead to him trying to beat the snap against speed rushers. He consistently gets turned 90 degrees on the finish of his 2nd kick step at less than 2 yards deep. I'm expecting several false starts against the competition he will be facing. He has already done this a few times in 2 preseasons games. Officials are letting calls like this go in the preseason.

As for the tape, I am not putting this together for you. Do your own homework and take notes.

Btw, Sewell did not struggle with this technique on the right side. He quickly got better on the left side while he was there in an emergency for some games. Sewell's struggle was retraining muscle memory from right to left side.

here is some video for you to look at besides taking notes on the actual game.

Watch the better kick step and technique from BC next to him.

This is the norm for Ekwonu. Not the exception. Watch his pass pro reps. He struggles bad with play action and 3 step drops. I am not looking forward to seeing him with 5 and 7 step drops against the level of talent he is going to face.

4 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Hands low and wide. Ineffective punch. Target for long pass rushers, speed rushers, and tacticians.

No balance and leverage in pass sets.

Plays high. High hips. Centers weight over toes. This will lead to him adjusting slowly to stunts and getting turned opening an easy lane to the QB.

In pass blocking you will also see him get over aggressive with a punch when he is desperate and feels like he is beat. This will lead to him over extending and lunging. He is known for even leaving his feet during this punch in pass sets.

His kick slide is going to be tested often. He kicks 2 yards in 3 kicks instead of 3 yards consistently and this will lead to him trying to beat the snap against speed rushers. He consistently gets turned 90 degrees on the finish of his 2nd kick step at less than 2 yards deep. I'm expecting several false starts against the competition he will be facing. He has already done this a few times in 2 preseasons games. Officials are letting calls like this go in the preseason.

As for the tape, I am not putting this together for you. Do your own homework and take notes.

Btw, Sewell did not struggle with this technique on the right side. He quickly got better on the left side while he was there in an emergency for some games. Sewell's struggle was retraining muscle memory from right to left side.

here is some video for you to look at besides taking notes on the actual game.

Watch the better kick step and technique from BC next to him.

This is the norm for Ekwonu. Not the exception. Watch his pass pro reps. He struggles bad with play action and 3 step drops. I am not looking forward to seeing him with 5 and 7 step drops against the level of talent he is going to face.

That's YouTube not all 22...

I'll give you all three of his splashy f ups were stunt plays.... He absolutely needs to work on controlling his aggression and becoming a technician, These things were all known pre draft he has a lot to learn in pass pro... Calling him a bust after less than 3 quarters of preseason football is jackassery however.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

He pulled up a article saying he was graded low in Preseason and gave up more than 1 sack in preseason (just like Ikey)..

So while you totally missed the point about this being a preseason conversation.. Not a regular season.. Since Ickey hasn't played in a regular season game.. So how are you dismissing the comparison?? Based on Sewell Regular season play...

Do you see how you missed the landing here??

How many sacks did Sewell have in his rookie preseason? For someone who likes facts, you made your own facts and didn't read.

I was comparing preseasons. Sewell worked RT in training camp. Moved to LT in preseason due to an injury/concerns of the starting LT before the week 1 opener. That would be preseason. 

You like facts, but don't go by facts.

Edited by CPantherKing

17 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

That's YouTube not all 22...

I'll give you all three of his splashy f ups were stunt plays.... He absolutely needs to work on controlling his aggression and becoming a technician, These things were all known pre draft he has a lot to learn in pass pro... Calling him a bust after less than 3 quarters of preseason football is jackassery however.

Who called him a bust? He is not a good LT. I see him as a PB OG who the Panthers failed to assess properly and drafted too high. Some team will move him to OG if it isn't the Panthers because he won't be worth the 6th pick used on him or a veteran LT contract.

The Panthers will still need to find a LT who can protect the QB.

1 minute ago, CPantherKing said:

Who called him a bust? He is not a good LT. I see him as a PB OG who the Panthers failed to assess properly and drafted too high. Some team will move him to OG if it isn't the Panthers because he won't be worth the 6th pick used on him or a veteran LT contract.

The Panthers will still need to find a LT who can protect the QB.

Maybe you didn't call him a bust but at ten people have in this thread...  He has the physical tools to be a LT..  far to early to know if he can... that said I would also have preferred him to play LG this season.... 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/01/lions-moving-penei-sewell-left-tackle-to-right-tackle-recent-nfl-history-tackle-side-changes-saints-browns/

He was drafted for the sole purpose of being their RT where he had reps/practiced. That’s where he lined up in that preseason game he struggled. He did have to switch during the actual season to LT (a position he played his whole college career) and struggled off and in with that. You are complaining about Icky struggling in a PRESEASON game. The same type of game Sewell struggled as a rookie last year in the position he was drafted to play. Icky was also just named the starting LT before the game and has had reps in practice as LG also. 
-Just because you start a paragraph with “facts” doesn’t make it true. 

So you think Ickey is Sewell level rookie quality? OT pass blocking 1 sack all season level in his rookie season?

Stop comparing them. Ickey is already behind Sewell at this point last year.

You sound like the the Butler defenders talking about how he can keep up with Aaron Donald and we need to be patient.

Move Ickey to guard and be done with it. Panthers will be set at LG for a while.

Just now, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

The Huddle is going to huddle.... *You don't play at an elite level playing the second hardest Postion in football after 2.5 quarters of preseason football???!?* BUST

It's like all these kids should be pro bowlers from the jump.  It's ridiculous the expectations these fools place in these kids after less than a half combined in 2 preseason games.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1