• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corrall

NAS

I haven't watched the game yet (I was not staying up until 2am yesterday to watch it, but it is on the Tivo).  Corral didn't light it up.  Since he has a small number or practice reps and was playing with guys who will be working in their backup careers in another month, I am left thinking "what did we think was going to happen?"

As far as PJ, he's 27.  For a young QB, if you get to year 4 or 5 and are the bottom of the depth chart, you are going to be replaced by a rookie.  That's life in the NFL, and it applies to more than just QBs. 

Maybe somebody will give him a spin, but I doubt it.  His only chance is that they decide to cut Darnold, which is not out of the question.  I don't think anybody is going to trade for him, either, but you never know.  What I do know is if somebody does trade for him, they are going to want us to eat 80-90% of his contract, so we are paying for him whether he is on the roster, on somebody else's roster, or laying on the beach.

1 minute ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I haven't watched the game yet (I was not staying up until 2am yesterday to watch it, but it is on the Tivo).  Corral didn't light it up.  Since he has a small number or practice reps and was playing with guys who will be working in their backup careers in another month, I am left thinking "what did we think was going to happen?"

As far as PJ, he's 27.  For a young QB, if you get to year 4 or 5 and are the bottom of the depth chart, you are going to be replaced by a rookie.  That's life in the NFL, and it applies to more than just QBs. 

Maybe somebody will give him a spin, but I doubt it.  His only chance is that they decide to cut Darnold, which is not out of the question.  I don't think anybody is going to trade for him, either, but you never know.  What I do know is if somebody does trade for him, they are going to want us to eat 80-90% of his contract, so we are paying for him whether he is on the roster, on somebody else's roster, or laying on the beach.

We pay most of Darnold's contract and Cleveland is paying most of Mayfield's. It's sort of a wash. I just don't see any team who would want to trade for Sam Darnold, even if we picked up the same amount of money Cleveland did on Baker's deal.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, trueblade said:

We pay most of Darnold's contract and Cleveland is paying most of Mayfield's. It's sort of a wash. I just don't see any team who would want to trade for Sam Darnold, even if we picked up the same amount of money Cleveland did on Baker's deal.

I agree with you.  I think we wind up paying about $3.5M extra but wound up with Mayfield.  My guess is the final depth chart is Mayfield, Darnold, and Corral, but with Rhule, who knows?

I think we entered the draft with two QBs on the roster, neither of whom would be on any other roster.  We now have four on the roster, but that does not change the status of the original two.

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Howell had all day to throw. Corral literally had no pocket for 3/4 of his snaps. Like, ball is snapped, hits his hands, two DL or a DL and a LB are in his face and he's spinning out of trouble.

Oh no doubt. I think that if Corral had come in when PJ did, he'd have looked a lot better; poor bastard never had a chance. And I still think Corral has the highest ceiling of the 2. 

BUT, Howell looked good Saturday.

21 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Howell DID look pretty frickin good out there.

18 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Howell had all day to throw. Corral literally had no pocket for 3/4 of his snaps. Like, ball is snapped, hits his hands, two DL or a DL and a LB are in his face and he's spinning out of trouble.

1 minute ago, shaqattaq said:

Oh no doubt. I think that if Corral had come in when PJ did, he'd have looked a lot better; poor bastard never had a chance. And I still think Corral has the highest ceiling of the 2. 

Washington is only carrying 3 QBs at the moment (Wentz, Heinke, Howell). I imagine Howell has gotten significantly more training camp reps than Matt Corral.

• Flames 3

4 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

Sure he did. Give any QB time in camp and a clean pocket, and there's reason to expect some good plays. When you give a guy no practice in camp, no pass protection in-game and he's got to dodge a defensive end and a blitzing linebacker within one second of a snap, well, not even Sam Howell or Tom Brady will look good in that case.

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

When you consider all that Rhule has done for PJ Walker over the years, I wouldn't rule out the idea that he's intentionally sabotaging Corral to build up his case to cut him and keep Walker. Not saying it's what's happening, just saying there's unquestionably a possibility.

If that were to happen, Fits needs to let Tepper know it is time to cut Rhule. 

The scary thing is that while I don't think it is what is happening, the fact that it is a possibility is a problem.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Sure he did. Give any QB time in camp and a clean pocket, and there's reason to expect some good plays. When you give a guy no practice in camp, no pass protection in-game and he's got to dodge a defensive end and a blitzing linebacker within one second of a snap, well, not even Sam Howell or Tom Brady will look good in that case.

told you so agree GIF by Bounce

Matt Rhule coddled Baker all the way through this "competition" and Sam is still steady kicking his ass. No Baker Bros, he hasn't looked better than Sam and for those of us who thought that Baker was a stupid move and wanted chaos in return?! Go Sam go! They're dumb as rocks.

Edited by rippadonn

11 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

told you so agree GIF by Bounce

Matt Rhule coddled Baker all the way through this "competition" and Sam is still steady kicking his ass. No Baker Bros, he hasn't looked better than Sam and for those of us who thought that Baker was a stupid move and wanted chaos in return?! Go Sam go! They're dumb as rocks.

Lol Baker has absolutely looked better. Don’t be all pissy because your little lion cub had a bad outing. He will be fine in the long run. Keep these good takes up though and no one is going to take you seriously….

• Flames 1