• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Breaking down the Panthers 2022 schedule

hepcat

13 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Some dude on the tony kornheiser show this week said in theory its possible the arbiter of the watson case could look at the punishment and say "he doesnt even need to be suspended at all".   Not likely for sure but its an option.  Will be interesting to see this play out

It will be interesting, for sure.  The problem I see with that is Goodell appoints the arbiter for the appeal.  He appointed someone yesterday, but I have no idea what the guy's background is. 

The way the process is laid out, it is stacked in the NFL's favor and the NFLPA agreed to that process.  The NFLPA has been successful at getting suspensions delayed, but not so successful at getting them overturned.  In a sense, they are fighting themselves in the process because they agreed to it, and once either a union or management agrees to something in a CBA or mid-term bargaining, they are almost always stuck with it until the next CBA reopens it.

There is a rumor circulating Watson is willing to accept 8 games and a $5M fine, but I doubt the NFL settles for that. 

From my tone, you can probably tell that I don't think anybody in this mess is wearing the white hat.  But, in fairness, in my eyes Goodell never wears a white hat in anything.

Edited by Sgt Schultz
I just learned more about the arbiter from Mr Scot than I knew before. Danke, sir.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

An option, though one I wouldn't describe as the "that's possible" kind so much as I'd put it in the category of "I'll sh-t in my hat if that happens" 🙁

I would like to see it simply for the fact that it would blow up in Goddells face.  That probably would be the last and final straw for the owners. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I would like to see it simply for the fact that it would blow up in Goddells face.  That probably would be the last and final straw for the owners. 

There is that, which means this could be a no-lose situation! 

Suddenly, my Friday just got better.  Thanks mrcompletely.  What a good thought to kick off a weekend.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Castavar said:

It really comes down to if our team can stay healthy. You see how drastic our defense fell off when Horn got hurt. You see how bad our offense was when CMC went down. If we have both of those guys healthy all year last year, we possibly sneak into the playoffs.

I really based this analysis on the Panthers current projected starting roster vs the other team's projected starting roster. Then I added in some factors like historical matchups as predictors and just my general feelings on how a matchup could go. Things can obviously change quickly if players stay healthy and gel, or if a few key guys get hurt like last season. I don't think anyone in their right mind expects CMC to play 17 games this season. If there's somewhere I can place a bet that he won't play every game, and make money (I can't imagine those are good odds), I would do it. But if he magically does play all the games, it definitely improves the Panthers chances, especially because it lowers the bar for the quality of QB play needed to win a game. He's the ultimate safety valve as we saw Kyle Allen utilize, despite his limitations as a QB. 

• 4 weeks later...