• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Niners Release Dee Ford

Proudiddy

Has barely played over the last 3 seasons due to injury, but Fitt said we're still looking for a traditional pass rusher and he could be had for cheap I would imagine.

Also, reading the tea leaves, I think Dunlap is going to sign but I figure he's waiting for TC to wrap up first.

Apparently he’s got a terrible back and is likely not going to be in any kinda shape to suit up for anybody this season. Dunlap seems to be our best option right now. Personally I’m interested in seeming how YGM and Haynes progress with larger roles. We definitely need someone to step up beside Burns, because now that Reddick is gone, Burns is gonna see a lot more attention. 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, joemac said:

Apparently he’s got a terrible back and is likely not going to be in any kinda shape to suit up for anybody this season. Dunlap seems to be our best option right now. Personally I’m interested in seeming how YGM and Haynes progress with larger roles. We definitely need someone to step up beside Burns, because now that Reddick is gone, Burns is gonna see a lot more attention. 

We're still likely to see a ton of stack 3-3-5/3-2-6 fronts.  The only legit run-D capable traditional 4-man is YGM/Brown/Loannidis/Burns.  Most team's sub packages is basically our base, scares me that we'll still be bad against the run due to this.

Burns-Brown-YGM (DL)

Luuvu-Shaq-Wilson (LB)

Chinn-Woods (HS/S)

Horn-Jackson-Taylor(or)Hendo (CB)

Burris (FS)

If we do see more loose 4-3, we're likely throwing Ioaniddis in, but potentially banking a lot on YGM, Nixon, & Hoskins developing.  

Edited by davos

Bring him in for a physical. I know the pats wavied a DT that was young cheap and former #1 HS player....but colts claimed him.

If you look at FA at sportac, theres plenty of names at the DL. I wouldnt rule out a trade either...

What would the raiders take for colin ferrell?? can not be more than a late rounder at best, ie like a colin+7th for panthers 6th..

Edited by Basbear

Our defense's base is essentially a Stack 3-3-5 at this point.  It would be good to identify a quick, run support OLB in this instance.  It's what they tried to do with Littleton and Wilson.  Wilson is a tough nosed run stopper that hopefully helps (and stays outta trouble)

Can he even pass a physical? Dunlap is definitely the preference but if Ford can come in and be a situational pash rusher then I’d be about it. It’s unlikely Brandon Smith will be contributing this year so it would be nice to have someone else to provide a bit of a pass rush outside of Burns and maybe Haynes.

Dee even if healthy isn't quite what we really need size wise. Hopefully YGM can actually stay consistent this year, but we still need a bigger edge guy for rotations. That Darryl Johnson guy we traded for has been pretty much invisible and Austin Larkin seems like a jag. They've got like 10 DE's on the roster and still aren't content so that's not a great sign. 

• Beer 1

28 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Dee even if healthy isn't quite what we really need size wise. Hopefully YGM can actually stay consistent this year, but we still need a bigger edge guy for rotations. That Darryl Johnson guy we traded for has been pretty much invisible and Austin Larkin seems like a jag. They've got like 10 DE's on the roster and still aren't content so that's not a great sign. 

Ive been meaning to do thread on unknown panthers and my first one was going to be Darryl Johnson. Right, he was barely was on the team, but what a difference one year could do for him. First off his main positive was ST and now tabors involved that could help him gain the need push to becoming a game-day player. Hes got the length and maybe size for a edge in whatever D snow is doing. If he leveled up, there maybe no need for a DE/edge/_____ . Panthers gave up a 6th for him, seemed Dan Morgan thought it was enough and he got a couple years to view him. 

Deal is the DL have talent, just young. 

Forgot to add, this is Johnsons first TC with the team. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Beer 1