• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Insight into the broken relationship between the Browns and Mayfield

Mr. Scot

17 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

he gave up 4million dollars to get traded here. He is only able to get that money in full if he starts 70% of the games, gets to the playoffs, and makes the pro bowl. 

He was probably going to hold out in Cleveland, get fined, wouldn’t make his salary, etc. Browns weren’t going to cut him because if he got cut the Browns would be eating way more of a cap hit. Baker still got ~78% of his salary and the Browns didn’t take a $19m cap hit. Him taking a pay cut had to happen otherwise both he and the browns were in a no win situation. Seemed like a pretty solid deal all around. 

3 hours ago, rippadonn said:

Mayfield was widely viewed as childish and immature. His behavior annoyed teammates and divided the locker room. He was often difficult to coach.

And yet when Cam got literally got almost identical criticism it’s really because ?.

Too bad Baker doesn't have that excuse. So logic says this must be legit.

• Flames 1

6 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He was probably going to hold out in Cleveland, get fined, wouldn’t make his salary, etc. Browns weren’t going to cut him because if he got cut the Browns would be eating way more of a cap hit. Baker still got ~78% of his salary and the Browns didn’t take a $19m cap hit. Him taking a pay cut had to happen otherwise both he and the browns were in a no win situation. Seemed like a pretty solid deal all around. 

Correction. The Browns told him not to come to the faciltiies, since they did that... they surrendered the ability to fine him for not showing up to any team coordinated events. That is why the browns have been critized for handling this situation so poorly. They gave up all of the leverage in June. Baker didnt have to play a down for them due to them telling him to not come to camp. Baker legit could have sat out this entire season and made every dollar. 

If baker would have showed up to OTAs after them requesting - then they could have punished him. However, Baker was sark about it. 

Edited by TheCasillas

I really don't give a poo about the Browns. Either he will play at a high level here or he won't. But when you put aside all this bickering he said she said he has actually seen success as a starter. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and if it doesn't work we'll be talking draft again.

54 minutes ago, Verge said:

I think something that gets slept on is his relationship with OBJ. It was two divas who let their stuff get personal, and OBJ is something of a legend in the league who has a lot of relationships around the NFL. OBJ saying certain things about Baker holds a lot of weight within the Browns locker room, and a lot of wide receiver locker rooms in the NFL -coughRobbycough- so perhaps this idea of him rubbing "teammates" the wrong way is more to do with an individual spat with the wrong player, and that kind of spills over.

Baker very clearly intentionally ignored OBJ on the field after OBJ spit venom, he is the QB/leader and clearly needs to mature and not cute off his nose to spite his face. He has maturing to do, hopefully he can grow and has learned with this second chance.

I've been wondering about that too.  The main thing everyone mad  about the move talks about is how he has a bad attitude and is bad for the locker room and I always heard he was popular with most of his teammates the seasons before that.  Its weird how much hate Baker gets for that and OBJ gets a full pass even though he actually has a big history of that type of stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I've been wondering about that too.  The main thing everyone mad  about the move talks about is how he has a bad attitude and is bad for the locker room and I always heard he was popular with most of his teammates the seasons before that.  Its weird how much hate Baker gets for that and OBJ gets a full pass even though he actually has a big history of that type of stuff. 

We'll never get the whole story of that and I have little doubt Baker shares a good bit of blame in it. Let's keep this in full perspective though. Beckham Jr is talented but the man is also a damn lunatic. Never will forget the sight of him intentionally trying to turn Josh Norman into a vegetable on the field.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, frankw said:

We'll never get the whole story of that and I have little doubt Baker shares a good bit of blame in it. Let's keep this in full perspective though. Beckham Jr is talented but the man is also a damn lunatic. Never will forget the sight of him intentionally trying to turn Josh Norman into a vegetable on the field.

Yea I'm sure baker definitely shoulders some of the blame.  It's just weird that he has turned into this villain while OBJ who has a history of drama and bs comes out smelling like roses and the majority of people seemingly cheering for him to get a sb.

2 hours ago, onmyown said:

And yet when Cam got literally got almost identical criticism it’s really because ?.

Too bad Baker doesn't have that excuse. So logic says this must be legit.

Cam was never credited with dividing a locker room etc. Fans got upset with his behavior at times, sure, but it never seemed like players or coaches did...

• Beer 1

Sure sounds like what a ton of people said after cams first 3 seasons.  "cAm CaNt WiN cLoSe GaMeS!".  That said, I didnt watch much, they could be right, but after the idiotic rhetoric around Cam, I take that kind of criticism with a grain of salt.  As I've always said, if they're on my team, I'm 100% behind em.