• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baker may be happening today.

Zod

My only issue with Baker is that it's a lot of extra drama for someone who may not be much of an improvement in the end. I'm not usually one to worry about locker room culture but when we have Darnold in his fragile state and we're trying to bring up Corral I'm not sure if adding a diva to the group who may be mediocre helps.

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

I mean I’m expecting the draft capital here is no more than a fifth. There’s still value in those but obviously more times than not those players don’t make it five years in the league. 

It’s not the same as trading for Darnold because Baker has actually proven he is an NFL starting QB unlike Sam ever has. I agree he seems like a douche but honestly this team was so fuging soft last year maybe we could use some of this energy.

Corral was the 94th pick. If he were anywhere near being ready to play he would have gone much sooner

Thanks for making me laugh. 

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

My only issue with Baker is that it's a lot of extra drama for someone who may not be much of an improvement in the end. I'm not usually one to worry about locker room culture but when we have Darnold in his fragile state and we're trying to bring up Corral I'm not sure if adding a diva to the group who may be mediocre helps.

I mean, what does it really matter? This group has accomplished 10 wins in two years. If he nukes the chemistry there what are we truly losing, at this point?

I don't think he is anywhere near the locker room cancer that people make him out to be. Even if he is, maybe he will be the tank commander to put us into a top 3 draft pick and get a real franchise QB prospect.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

If the coaches suck so bad that Mayfield ruins young player development with whatever drama be brings, the young players were fuged anyway. I'm hoping these new assistant coaches help there anyway, and Mayfield will have a ton to prove here I think. 

As long as we don't give up future assets, fine with me. I'd rather have someone that we'd expect to be a better mentor, but then we wouldn't have a guy with a higher ceiling (Jimmy G VA Baker M I suppose).

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

His 4 years have run hot and cold.  Last year being a cold year and being the most recent, the one everyone looks at.  He actually had good years in his first and third seasons.  Put it together means he has the tools, BUT he needs a scheme that fits him, to be coached up more and lastly, grow up becoming a better professional.

If he sucks, we don't resign him. If he does okay, we offer him a deal in FA at a reasonable price where he takes it or signs elsewhere.  At that point he's not on our team any longer, we still look to the 2023 draft, which is exactly where we sit right now if Baker doesn't sign.   Corral is a non-factor this season in any scenario, so I'm not factoring him into the situation.  Darnold is toast, he's not here next year unless as a backup on a cheap deal.

What happened to saving the cap, rolling it over and tanking?   Baker is NOT taking us to the SB.  All winning a couple extra games gets you is less cap and lower draft pick. 

You are posting the exact opposite shlt on two different threads.

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Sources keep reporting that there is disagreement in the building on Baker. Some want him and some don't. I think the question is who is pro-Baker and who is anti-Baker?

It's not like Fitty or Rhule is going to come out and say. They will put on this fake "we're all aligned and on the same page" face to the fans and the media whether we get Baker or not.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Why would we have to give up a draft pick? To me, Cleveland should be ones giving up the pick for us to take even $1 of Mayfield's contract. We can roll with Sam with 5 games and put in Corral. Cleveland can either trade Mayfield or tell him to take the year off with pay. To me, Cleveland needs to make the deal more than we do. Swap QBs and Cleveland throws in a 5th and maybe I'm thinking about it. Otherwise, keep our picks and our cap and see what the kid from Ole Miss can do.

20 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I wouldn't be upset at Baker and Corral heading into the season. At least we have two chances to be hopeful about the future, even as fleeting and/or foolhardy as those hopes might be. 

I just don't want to see another down of Sam Darnold football. He completely ruins the Panthers experience. 

I agree, although I hope they don't give Mayfield a longterm contract if he comes here.  If he does come here, then lets see what we got before we commit years of cap space.  

2 hours ago, 45catfan said:

He actually had good years in his first and third seasons.

This is such BS.  His third season he made the playoffs so everybody thought he was great.  Teddy Bridgewater had MORE YARDS PASSING in 2020 for the Panthers,  than Baker did behind one of the best lines in football.  They were 24th  in passing yards in 2020 and 3rd in rushing.  What a joke.

• Pie 1