• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per Jonathan Alexander, Browns were willing to eat 50% of Bakers salary($9m) and Panthers said no. Apparently, the max we want to take is $5m, playing hardball with them.

Julio

1 hour ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Can we confirm the Corral contract?  I see only one year listed on overthecap, but both them and spotrac say he is under the normal four year rookie contract.  Spotrac's grid on him shows four years, but no numbers.

I don't think there is any pressure to rush him along, either.  I do think there has to be some urgency to evaluate him before next year's draft.  But that is not the same as throwing him to the wolves. 

That said, I would not be surprised to see us panic if Darnold stinks it up the first 5 or 6 games.

My bad, the only QB we have under contract next year is Corral.  Yes, I worded it poorly.

9 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

My bad, the only QB we have under contract next year is Corral.  Yes, I worded it poorly.

Ah, no problem. 

It was actually the overthecap contract page on him that had me wanting a drink.  But, if it hadn't been that, it would have been something else.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

We are not competing for a Super Bowl or even the playoffs barring a miracle. Three consecutive five win seasons and the worst starting QB in the NFL you get the rookie some time and see what you've got that's the way the league operates in 2022. How the game was played when your pawpaw was watching football is irrelevant. Things change.

How many rookie qbs drafted in the third round were drafted expected to get playing time their rookie year in recent history?  Heck there is still debate on if a first rounder should play right off.   Much less a raw third rounder that may take a bit of time to adjust to a pro game.  I hope he does.  I hope he dominates all ota's, starts week 1 and is a pro bowl qb who leads us to the super bowl in his rookie year, but Hope's and actual expectations are two totally different things

48 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

How many rookie qbs drafted in the third round were drafted expected to get playing time their rookie year in recent history?  Heck there is still debate on if a first rounder should play right off.   Much less a raw third rounder that may take a bit of time to adjust to a pro game.  I hope he does.  I hope he dominates all ota's, starts week 1 and is a pro bowl qb who leads us to the super bowl in his rookie year, but Hope's and actual expectations are two totally different things

How many 3rd round rookie QBs have been drafted to a comparable situation that is the 2022 Carolina Panthers.  It’s all relative.  if our QB situation is Sam, PJ and Corral going  into week 1? I think odds favor Corral getting on the field at some point.    

starting Corral as a rookie isn’t ideal.  But we likely won’t be in a position to do ideal stuff. 

Fans turned on Sam/Rhule in week 9 with the boos.   So if we don’t win and Sam is bad….I think it comes even earlier this upcoming year.    And it matters.  Tepper can’t have his coach and QB booed out of BoA for half a season.  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

How many 3rd round rookie QBs have been drafted to a comparable situation that is the 2022 Carolina Panthers.  It’s all relative.  if our QB situation is Sam, PJ and Corral going  into week 1? I think odds favor Corral getting on the field at some point.    

starting Corral as a rookie isn’t ideal.  But we likely won’t be in a position to do ideal stuff. 

Fans turned on Sam/Rhule in week 9 with the boos.   So if we don’t win and Sam is bad….I think it comes even earlier this upcoming year.    And it matters.  Tepper can’t have his coach and QB booed out of BoA for half a season.  

There was one prospect that was considered as possibly ready to play this season and he had no ceiling.   It was understood a few weeks ago that most of the qbs this year were going to take time to learn the NFL game.  Now before OTA's are even here everyone is ready to throw Corral into the fire?  He ran the least pro system of any of the prospects.  Hes most likely not going to be ready nearly as most people on here seem to think. 

11 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

There was one prospect that was considered as possibly ready to play this season and he had no ceiling.   It was understood a few weeks ago that most of the qbs this year were going to take time to learn the NFL game.  Now before OTA's are even here everyone is ready to throw Corral into the fire?  He ran the least pro system of any of the prospects.  Hes most likely not going to be ready nearly as most people on here seem to think. 

if Matt Corral was my son I wouldn’t of wanted him to be drafted here.   We have too much potential for the non-ideal to occur.  Plus, Matt simply has potential to be used as a means for this staff to weather the storm of an unpleased home crowd.  It started week 9 last year.  Leash will be shorter. 

ideally Corral would have gone to a team and not be seen all season.  I’m just acknowledging we have high odds of not doing ideal things with him. 

If Sam/Rhule start getting boo bird after 5-7 weeks….what are they going to do? PJ might buy them a couple weeks.  

it is what it is.  We still have a comically weak QB roster.  Everyone talks about the Browns, they got 3 QBs better than Sam.  

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

I don't think it's about us thinking he is ready, it's about not wanting to see Darnold stink again for most of a season.

That really wasn't fun at all.

Just now, kungfoodude said:

I don't think it's about us thinking he is ready, it's about not wanting to see Darnold stink again for most of a season.

That really wasn't fun at all.

Lol I agree with the sentiment but throwing Corral to the wolves hes not ready for may not be the best thing for him just because we dont want to see Darnold again, and unless Corral starts and shows he could potentially be elite basically if we end up with the first overall pick next year we would take a qb again.  Just like BC and Icky.  Mid rounders can definitely be great but on average top 10 players are going to have more tools than third rounders.  But like I said I hope Corral balls out.

2 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Lol I agree with the sentiment but throwing Corral to the wolves hes not ready for may not be the best thing for him just because we dont want to see Darnold again, and unless Corral starts and shows he could potentially be elite basically if we end up with the first overall pick next year we would take a qb again.  Just like BC and Icky.  Mid rounders can definitely be great but on average top 10 players are going to have more tools than third rounders.  But like I said I hope Corral balls out.

I don’t know if you value Chris Simms but in his breakdown on Sam in his countdown he said it would be hard for Corral not to see the field because Sam’s leash will be short….and commented that despite raw Corral will simply look to be the more talented guy from the jump.  With intangibles on top of that.   And it gets hard to justify to a locker room how a clearly more talented kid isn’t playing. 

Corral getting out there really just comes down to how bad Sam is and the generally sentiment in house and the stadium IMO.  

Corral needs to sit.  Carolina probably doesn’t have high odds of that being the path though. 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I am not too worried about Corral. If he doesn't pan out after a year starting, he also just isn't likely to pan out. Even if he struggles, you should be able to see whether he is worth running it back in 2023 with.

That's also what I am after. We should have another top 10(maybe top 5) pick, so we need to know if that needs to be a QB or not.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

Our situation is very Davis Mills like for Corral