• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben McAdoo Presser

Mr. Scot

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean McAdoo coached in NY.  It’s pretty well documented his predictable playcalling while HC was one of the primary narratives.

I mean you can debate the why it was what it was….but to act like that wasn’t a McAdoo issue is just revisionist storytelling.  

You asked the question:

"I guess there is one more question to ask….how involved was Tom Coughlin"

I answered it.

• Beer 1

@poundaway

The Giants struggled offensively despite a boat load of talent, and while there was plenty of blame to go around, there’s no denying the offensive play selection had a lot to do with it.

At his year-end press conference, McAdoo acknowledged the coaching staff would evaluate his decision to call plays and that, perhaps, something would change. And on Sunday at the NFL Owners Meetings, even John Mara admitted to questioning McAdoo’s decision to continue calling plays.

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/27/new-york-giants-have-questioned-ben-mcadoo-over-calling-offensive-plays/

this is coming off year 1.   The winning season.  The McAdoo playcalling issue was a constant theme and probably his issue #1 as a HC.  An issue that came about year 1 as HC.  The narrative/problem then rolled into year 2.   He refused to give it up despite all the heat after year 1.  5 games into year 2 he finally caved to the heat and pressure and gave it up.  Then fired shortly after that.  My brother in law is a huge Giants fan.    

He might be better than Joe Brady.   But predictability isn’t something we can claim McAdoo won’t be bringing to the table too. 

10 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Rhule just seems soo nervous, like hes at court-energy. 2 Mccados interview- calm, gives the reporters enough crumbs to write a story but not too much. Answers like hes heard the question 50 times before, but doesnt give rude answers. I see why/how he won over the NYG area.

Also watching Rhule in the draft confidentials, he's so fuging wound up and anxious the whole time. He's probably exactly the same way on the sidelines during games, which is a bad thing. 

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

@poundaway

The Giants struggled offensively despite a boat load of talent, and while there was plenty of blame to go around, there’s no denying the offensive play selection had a lot to do with it.

At his year-end press conference, McAdoo acknowledged the coaching staff would evaluate his decision to call plays and that, perhaps, something would change. And on Sunday at the NFL Owners Meetings, even John Mara admitted to questioning McAdoo’s decision to continue calling plays.

this is coming off year 1.   The winning season.  The McAdoo playcalling issue was a constant theme and probably his issue #1 as a HC.  An issue that came about year 1 as HC.  The narrative/problem then rolled into year 2.   He refused to give it up despite all the heat after year 1.  5 games into year 2 he finally caved to the heat and pressure and gave it up.  Then fired shortly after that.  My brother in law is a huge Giants fan.    

He might be better than Joe Brady.   But predictably isn’t something we can claim McAdoo won’t be bringing to the table too. 

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/27/new-york-giants-have-questioned-ben-mcadoo-over-calling-offensive-plays/
From your very own article:

"There’s no denying that McAdoo seemed overwhelmed with the dual duties"

But you go ahead and chase your tail denying it.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

From your very own article:

"There’s no denying that McAdoo seemed overwhelmed with the dual duties"

But you go ahead and chase your tail denying it.

I mean there are a hundred articles detailing it.  

So I’ll repeat, as I told you earlier we could debate the why it was what it was….but you can’t deny the issue of predictable playcalling was McAdoo’s signature as the HC of the Giants. 

36 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

Also watching Rhule in the draft confidentials, he's so fuging wound up and anxious the whole time. He's probably exactly the same way on the sidelines during games, which is a bad thing. 

" GET YOUR JUICE BACK UP!!"

Ive seen Rhule talk in front of players, much different tone/energy. Rhule in front of reporters gives off unsure vibes and constantly worried about offending someone. Carolina reporters are among the softest reporters out there. Joe is about the only asking edgy injury type questions, everyone else fails in line. No joke mccado could help rhule with these pressers, bobs got a good approach.  

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

24 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean there are a hundred articles detailing it.  

So I’ll repeat, as I told you earlier we could debate the why it was what it was….but you can’t deny the issue of predictable playcalling was McAdoo’s signature as the HC of the Giants. 

Nobody is denying it when he was HC.  You are arguing with yourself.

7 minutes ago, poundaway said:

Nobody is denying it when he was HC.  You are arguing with yourself.

Cool then.  I thought you were arguing his predictable offensive playcalling wasn’t one of his primary issue as the Giants HC.   

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Well, I guess there is one more question to ask….how involved was Tom Coughlin in the playcalling when McAdoo was OC.  A long time stable NFL offensive guy.   How much of a factor was that Coughlin in making the McAdoo pure OC years okay…..vs McAdoo being blasted as a horrible playcaller as HC.

We talking about the same Tom Coughlin who coached the Giants from 2004 to 2015, right? Why would you invoke Tom Coughlin when I’m drawing a clear comparison in offensive performance from 2013 -> 2014 -> 2015 during which Coughlin was the head coach? Is the implication that Coughlin was not involved while Kevin Gilbride was OC but as soon as McAdoo was brought on, Coughlin was like “move aside, figurehead. I got this”. Otherwise Tom Coughlin + Kevin Gilbride = 28th ranked offense, and Tom Coughlin + Kevin Gilbride = Top 10 offense. Not sure how you get Tom Coughlin as being the main factor out of that.

I don’t understand all the mental gymnastics in what should be a pretty straightforward evaluation of Ben MacAdoo’s career as an OC. We hired MacAdoo as our OC, not as our HC with playcalling duties. So the logical approach should be “let’s go back and see how MacAdoo did as OC”. And the sample size is small, but promising. That’s it…it’s very simple.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

We talking about the same Tom Coughlin who coached the Giants from 2004 to 2015, right? Why would you invoke Tom Coughlin when I’m drawing a clear comparison in offensive performance from 2013 -> 2014 -> 2015 during which Coughlin was the head coach? Is the implication that Coughlin was not involved while Kevin Gilbride was OC but as soon as McAdoo was brought on, Coughlin was like “move aside, figurehead. I got this”. Otherwise Tom Coughlin + Kevin Gilbride = 28th ranked offense, and Tom Coughlin + Kevin Gilbride = Top 10 offense. Not sure how you get Tom Coughlin as being the main factor out of that.

I don’t understand all the mental gymnastics in what should be a pretty straightforward evaluation of Ben MacAdoo’s career as an OC. We hired MacAdoo as our OC, not as our HC with playcalling duties. So the logical approach should be “let’s go back and see how MacAdoo did as OC”. And the sample size is small, but promising. That’s it…it’s very simple.

He's just looking for any dig he can find on Mac and right now his shtick is he was a bad OC when he was also HC.  He tried the lame route of saying Coughlin helped Mac when he was OC, but the actual reporting and data just does NOT support that mindless jibberish.

If the O flounders this year he'll do an "I told you so" and if it does better he'll say its just because of of new OL or Corrall or CMC didn't get hurt.

He's really really really mad that Brady didn't get the coddling, nurturing and hugs he needed to grow into the "super-talented" OC he was meant to be.  Poor Joe Brady.

I will never understand his undying love for Joe Brady.

27 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I brought up Coughlin because he was a long time and stable coach in the NFL.  Giants didn’t have a losing season from 2005 to 2012 under him.   Had 4 straight winning seasons in freaking Jacksonville.  

Coughlin is flawed and not great.  Stable? Yes.  And an offensive guy.  Was exploring variables in regards to the Giants as to why he was brought up

the narrative in the Giants overly predictable playcalling only appeared when McAdoo had no boss.   I’m sure it wasn’t just one thing that lead to it getting so bad.  

21 minutes ago, poundaway said:

He's just looking for any dig he can find on Mac and right now his shtick is he was a bad OC when he was also HC.  He tried the lame route of saying Coughlin helped Mac when he was OC, but the actual reporting and data just does NOT support that mindless jibberish.

If the O flounders this year he'll do an "I told you so" and if it does better he'll say its just because of of new OL or Corrall or CMC didn't get hurt.

He's really really really mad that Brady didn't get the coddling, nurturing and hugs he needed to grow into the "super-talented" OC he was meant to be.  Poor Joe Brady.

I will never understand his undying love for Joe Brady.

I mean it’s just a fact he was a horrible playcaller when he was the HC in NY.   That’s not schtick.  Calling water wet is a problem for you.  That’s clear.  Feel free to ignore it. 

I mean, I have said Joe Brady should of never been hired here and maybe a select few teams could of tried to that type experiment.   But very few really had the environment for that type gamble.  You call me a Joe Brady super fan because you don’t want to acknowledge what a bad architect Matt Rhule was for his offense.   And it’s him we should be talking about.  And Matt Rhule is always the context of Joe Brady being relevant to a conversation. 

If McAdoo has success I’ll be happy to give him props.  But people are reinventing him IMO into some great hire that people are suppose to be giddy about.   We have a cast people demand people be happy about.  Tepper, Rhule….even the McAdoo types have to earn it at this stage IMO.    No one would touch McAdoo as OC for years.  Bumbling Matt Rhule finally would.  That’s probably a red flag in itself.  

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, CRA said:

I mean it’s just a fact he was a horrible playcaller when he was the HC in NY.   That’s not schtick.  Calling water wet is a problem for you.  That’s clear.  Feel free to ignore it. 

Calling water wet is one thing.

Repeating it over and over and over and over is a shtick.

• Beer 1