• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Game 5 Breakdown & Why a Win in NY Tomorrow Happens

Anybodyhome

We all watched. We all celebrated. So, the day after means we look ahead to tomorrow and see how what happened last night carries over to Madison Square Garden.

The Rangers were out-shot 34-17. That's what a forecheck does and that's what puck control creates. Winning puck battles in the O-zone and digging along the boards. Defense standing up at the blue line and not allowing easy entry. Only 5 of the Rangers 17 shots were from inside the dots, while nearly half of the Cane's 34 came from inside the dots.

The Hurricanes spent almost 57% of the game in the offensive zone. That may not sound like a big deal but it's over 34 minutes of a 60 minute hockey game. It's 8 more minutes than NY spent in the Carolina zone. That's 8 more minutes of Igor having to play on his toes, 8 more minutes of NY players on their heels. That equates to 5-6 shifts! If you don't think that will wear a goalie and the defense down....

Carolina's forwards were on the ice less than NY's. Despite the fact the Canes spent the majority of the game in NY's end, the Canes leading time on ice guy last night was Vinny Trocheck at 18:52. The Rangers had 5 forwards with more ice time than Trocheck last night. This demonstrates depth. Carolina's top 3 lines were all on the ice from 15-18 minutes. NY's top line was on the ice a full 3 minutes more than Carolina's. That's a couple shifts. Carolina is able to easily rely on 3 lines and can match any of NYs top 2 lines. The Zibanejad line is on the ice for nearly 20 minutes and whenever they got an O-zone faceoff, RBA just sends out the Staal line to completely neutralize it. 

I have a feeling a fairly well-rested (relatively speaking) Canes team will roll into NY with some renewed confidence against a NY team that may be running out of gas.

• Pie 3

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I believe that Carolina CAN get over the hump and finally win an away game. 
I just hope that the negativity of knowing that you haven’t won an away game, and these guys are definitely aware, doesn’t  affect them Saturday. 
Just need to tell the team that keeps subbing in when we cross the state line they are no longer needed. 

• Poo 2

3 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I believe that Carolina CAN get over the hump and finally win an away game. 
I just hope that the negativity of knowing that you haven’t won an away game, and these guys are definitely aware, doesn’t  affect them Saturday. 
Just need to tell the team that keeps subbing in when we cross the state line they are no longer needed. 

Speaking of negativity  @TrevorLaurenceTime22   I can’t tell Matt NC FL is making a positive reference or being small pen energy again. 

Edited by Panthers Fan 69
  • Flames 1