• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Clowney interest in playing close to home

ncfan

6 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

9 sacks is average.

Single digits in a passing league with a 17 game season. 

I would imagine he would be here for rotation. So running downs mostly, 1-2nd downs. he would be a good fit. Don't think of him as your starter. 

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

9 sacks is average.

Guess we shouldn't have bothered picking up Burns' 5th year option then...

"Average" is an improvement to what we currently have opposite Burns. 

Two "Average" pass rushers with one being a stout run defender automatically improves our defense as opposed to having one "average" pass rusher who is bad at run defense and some Jags opposite him. 

• Pie 2

12 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

9 sacks is average.

Okay, how many “average” defensive ends do we have on this team able to rush the passer? Our best rusher from last year is now in Philly and our best DE is “average” since he ONLY had 9 sacks last year. Our next best rusher had just 3.5 sacks last year.  Clowney is an upgrade over any rusher on this team not named Burns. Stop with the ignorance. 

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Guess we shouldn't have bothered picking up Burns' 5th year option then...

"Average" is an improvement to what we currently have opposite Burns. 

Two "Average" pass rushers with one being a stout run defender automatically improves our defense as opposed to having one "average" pass rusher who is bad at run defense and some Jags opposite him. 

I'm not high on Burns At all

He has grossly underperformed 

• Beer 1
  • The D 1
  • Poo 2

I followed Clowney through high school and college.  He was an absolute freak of an athlete.  The last year he played at USC he just kind of went through the motions and did not have a high motor.  If he wants to play and can find that motivation he can still have an impact on what the offense does, but I question how badly he wants to be great.  I know he's had some injuries, but he had all the tools to be a great one, just question the heart.  He reminded me a lot of Javon Kearse with just his sheer physical abilities.  Watching his high school tape is a lot of fun, he was running people down from 20 yards back.  

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, unicar15 said:

I feel like giving Corral the best chance to win (short fields, lots of opportunities) is pretty important. I would sign Clowney for sure to a 1 year deal. We have $30 mil of cap space for this year. Use it to really see what we have. 

We borrowed a good chunk of that from next years cap, we're listed as being in the negative next year so should probably just let most of it roll over. If he's like $4-5M I'd be cool w it