• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week Of: Draft Buzz, Rumors, & News (w/updates)

davos

I have "worked from home" over the past 2 weeks, and I have spent about 8 hours per day watching/listening to the NFL Network.  It seems rather obvious (based on this information) that the only way the Panthers will draft a QB at #6 is if they cannot get a trade partner and all top 3 LTs are gone.

MHS prediction (take it to the bank):  I think they would like to trade back, hope Cross falls, then move up with KC for Sam Howell. 

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I'd skimmed most of this but from what I read..

Wilson was carried by a defense his 1st few years..

Cousin didn't start until his 4th season after Robert Griffin was hurt..

Dak, Hurts, didn't start day 1..

But I've said a few other QBS have had success but the history of the league usually shows high  QBS drafted to bad teams don't come in and be good in year 1..

And I don't understand why that expectation has changed..

Peyton was horrible his 1st season and it was expected..

The abbreviated version of what I’m saying is you can still see the it factor in those early years. Lawrence looked more like Goff than Manning. There’s certain evident traits. That’s all but do agree you can’t just use the first year and say, nah they suck. Unless it’s a Rosen level guy who the team obviously doesn’t see it with.

1 minute ago, davos said:

The abbreviated version of what I’m saying is you can still see the it factor in those early years. Lawrence looked more like Goff than Manning. There’s certain evident traits. That’s all but do agree you can’t just use the first year and say, nah they suck. Unless it’s a Rosen level guy who the team obviously doesn’t see it with.

I agree with Lawrence but I also put in the context that he was literally being coach by a guy who gave up on the team in TC... 

You couldn't put a QB in a worst situation then what Lawrence was in and expect him to show anything..

• Pie 1

@davos check out NFLs rating form 2021- 2022.

Its not the end all be all, but supports my statement. No 7+ players in 2022 and 2021 had 5. Just higher scores across the 25+ players. 

Sauce is my top player and Id take Horn and Surtain over him along the other 20 some players. I have Aidan as the 6th best edge in the 2022 group, just not a fan of stiffness. 

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/all-positions/all-colleges/all-statuses/2022?page=1

Switch the year. Best part of this years class will be 4th-UDFAs. I believe it will be the best UDFAs group in last 10+ years. 

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, Hurts had 1k passing yards with a 52% completion percentage his rookie year. The Eagles would have been 0-5 with him if Brees wasn’t out. Cousins didn’t crack 1k passing yards until his 3rd year and his second year was bad even with only 854 yards. Tannehill was OK but honestly Lawrence’s rookie season was better and even more impressive considering how bad his WRs were and having Urban Meyer as coach.

Wilson and Dak were solid to start and lucked into situations where the team had talent already, or in the Seahawks case, Wilson’s draft and the year prior were mother lodes. We all know when Romo got hurt before Dak but they were 12-4 the year before with a healthy Romo. Minshew is an oddball, very solid yet unloved. Cousins, Hurts and Tannehill weren’t better to start than the rookies and none of them went to a garbage dump like Jax and the Jets. I still can’t believe the Jags are even thinking about D. Draft a tackle that can play LG this year and takeover for Robinson or draft Wilson. Do the same thing, best WR/OL, in all day 2 picks.

Fair counter assessments.I do love Garrett Wilson 

11 hours ago, davos said:

Makes sense.  A trade down is not out of the cards, or even a R2 trade up. I can see a scenario with just about every QB to us minus Malik given the situation.

I don't see us trading up in round 2 unless we trade down and pick up assets.  A round two pick would most likely cost us a round one pick in 2023.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I don't see us trading up in round 2 unless we trade down and pick up assets.  A round two pick would most likely cost us a round one pick in 2023.

Players can be traded for 2s and 3s.....unlikely but its that type of draft. 

13 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Players can be traded for 2s and 3s.....unlikely but its that type of draft. 

Once again,  Unless we trade down in the first we won't have a 2nd or a 3rd to offer for a 2nd round pick.  No team is going to trade a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round next year.  They'll want a first. 

IF, we managed a 2nd round pick we would have to give up a 2nd and 3rd and possibly more in 2023.  That would put us in the same situation we are in this year.  

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Once again,  Unless we trade down in the first we won't have a 2nd or a 3rd to offer for a 2nd round pick.  No team is going to trade a 2nd round pick for a 2nd round next year.  They'll want a first. 

IF, we managed a 2nd round pick we would have to give up a 2nd and 3rd and possibly more in 2023.  That would put us in the same situation we are in this year.  

Yea but the panthers can trade CMC for a 2 plus ____ Or Robbie Anderson for 4th plus ____ .Repeat for nearly all players, even Burns may be had for a package including 1st, 3, 4 etc etc. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Yea but the panthers can trade CMC for a 2 plus ____ Or Robbie Anderson for 4th plus ____ .Repeat for nearly all players, even Burns may be had for a package including 1st, 3, 4 etc etc. 

But why are you trading known commodities for what exactly??

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

Trading picks, I don't see it.  Trading a current player maybe.  I seriously doubt that we'll value a player over Burns or CMC.  Robby and a 3rd next year might work but I doubt we trade any active player.