• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Lombardi warns Carolina Panthers not to draft a QB at #6

TheSpecialJuan

5 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Here's another interesting fact about QB's drafted in the top 10 (or even the the top 6) since 1997. Only 4 have won Super Bowls: The Manning brothers have two each, Mahomes won one in 2019, and Matt Stafford just won one a year ago. Big Ben has a couple but he last until the 11th pick.

Those numbers would undoubtedly be a little higher if it weren't for Brady winning 7 rings, but even his success is an indicator that picking a QB in the top 10 is not a sure fire bet to win a SB title.

Which comes full circle back to where some say in a good QB class like last year, the top guy this year would have been QB five last year.  So taking one of these guys makes little sense.  Heck, I've seen mocks this offseason where no QBs go in round one.  Undoubtedly one or two will get drafted in the first round out of positional importance and desperation; not because they are actually worth the pick.

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

The fact that we passed on the available QBs in last year's draft, tells me they shouldn't be drafting any of these QBs at 6.  So that leaves LT and edge. 

Of course this is based on logic. 

Logic may not come into play with our pick, although I pray it does. 

No, that's not logic. That's based on your opinion that there isn't a QB better than Fields and Jones which I disagree with. Logic would be that they didn't think those 2 were worth the pick and that if they draft one this year they do. That's logical. 

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

Which of these QBs is Joe Burrow?

Pickett has the best chance of being a Burrow like pick. He's got the skills and the swagger. He's the only NFL ready QB in this class. I think he will come in and beat out Darnold and start the season as the guy. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I firmly believe the system, supporting cast, and coach play calling has as much or more to do with a QB's lack of success than the skill level of the QB.  That is why they miss--they study the "messiah" without looking into their ability to stay disciplined and support him.

Yeah there is truth in that but at the end of the day your front office has to have to cajones to take a shot at a rookie. The Panthers thought they could take a shortcut to get their "messiah" last year and they didn't even bother with his game film. After three games they got a good look at him. It basically went as follows:

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Here's another interesting fact about QB's drafted in the top 10 (or even the the top 6) since 1997. Only 4 have won Super Bowls: The Manning brothers have two each, Mahomes won one in 2019, and Matt Stafford just won one a year ago. Big Ben has a couple but he last until the 11th pick.

Those numbers would undoubtedly be a little higher if it weren't for Brady winning 7 rings, but even his success is an indicator that picking a QB in the top 10 is not a sure fire bet to win a SB title.

Oops, only 3 were top 6 picks...the Mannings and Stafford. Mahomes was picked at #10 (my bad). We all know that if Stafford has stayed in Detroit he would not be on the list. QB's don't will themselves to SB wins, it takes:

1) Good Front office

2) Good Coaching

3) Talented/Deep roster

4) Soild QB play

5) Good ownership. This an overlooked piece of the puzzle. If an owner is meddlesome, cheap, impatient, or unable to hire the right people He won't be successful in the NFL.

Edited by SCO96

17 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah there is truth in that but at the end of the day your front office has to have to cajones to take a shot at a rookie. The Panthers thought they could take a shortcut to get their "messiah" last year and they didn't even bother with his game film. After three games they got a good look at him. It basically went as follows:

So Humperdoo is Darnold?  I want to watch this now--for some reason.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

33 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

No, that's not logic. That's based on your opinion that there isn't a QB better than Fields and Jones which I disagree with. Logic would be that they didn't think those 2 were worth the pick and that if they draft one this year they do. That's logical. 

Pickett has the best chance of being a Burrow like pick. He's got the skills and the swagger. He's the only NFL ready QB in this class. I think he will come in and beat out Darnold and start the season as the guy. 

Glad to see you're making up logic based on your opinion.  Sweet baby Jesus, we have a live one here!!!

• Poo 1

54 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

What? He does not remotely have the potential Burrow did. Pickett will allow us to double up on mediocre qb's who can't do anything behind a poor oline. 

• Poo 1

55 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

Oops, only 3 were top 6 picks...the Mannings and Stafford. Mahomes was picked at #10 (my bad). We all know that if Stafford has stayed in Detroit he would not be on the list. QB's don't will themselves to SB wins, it takes:

1) Good Front office

2) Good Coaching

3) Talented/Deep roster

4) Soild QB play

5) Good ownership. This an overlooked piece of the puzzle. If an owner is meddlesome, cheap, impatient, or unable to hire the right people He won't be successful in the NFL.

Even Stafford didn't win it with his draft team and Peyton got his last one (as we painfully know) with the Broncos.  So ELI MANNING is the the outlier in the whole equation to win multiple SBs with his draft team during that time.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

Even Stafford didn't win it with his draft team and Peyton got his last one (as we painfully know) with the Broncos.  So ELI MANNING is the the outlier in the whole equation to win multiple SBs with his draft team during that time.

* Actually selected by the Chargers, but that was a draft day trade.

Edited by 45catfan

You definitely get a mixture of QBs that won the Super Bowl lately (aside from Brady taking up half of them).  Stafford (was a number 1 pick but couldn't elevate his team, needed a loaded team to win in the playoffs like most do), Mahomes (great QB, great coach, surrounded him with talent), Nick Foles... Joe Flaco... Old Manning, and Russ Wilson (who elevated his offense, but had an elite defense/running game).  Peyton Manning (aside from Brady) might be the only one who really elevated his team (Colts) and got them a ring eventually...  The others were flashes in the pan, or had elite defenses/teams and got one.  Mahomes is a rare talent and elevated his team, but they were already a solid team and playoff bound with Andy Reid/Alex Smith.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I would pick a QB in every 7th round hoping to get another Brady. 

But never in the 1st round.

My approach to the QB position is that, first of all, you always carry three. It's the most important position in sports - having an extra STer on the roster rather than a third QB is mental to me.

Secondly, you draft one every other year (or every year if you don't like the guys currently in your room). To me you have a starter, a backup and a development guy. Those roles are flexible depending on age / experience / potential. 

Obviously you're going to miss on a lot of those later round Draft picks, but every now and again you're going to find a gem. 

• Pie 3