• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Quarterback Desperation: The trade and QB market in this year's draft

Mr. Scot

39 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

The Athletic's Kevin Fishbain believes the Bears "might have to consider the possibility that [Justin Fields] isn’t the guy" if he struggles in 2022. 

The team's new regime should have a good idea of Fields' long-term potential after the 2022 season, Fishbain said. "Fields’ rookie performance comes with a lot of disclaimers, and some are legitimate, but the struggles can’t be fully ignored," Fishbain said. "If the sack numbers remain high, if he’s not doing a good job taking care of the football, and if he’s not leading scoring drives often enough, then the organization might have to consider the possibility that he isn’t the guy." Fields in 2021 struggled mightily in Matt Nagy's inflexible, uncreative offense, ranking 37th in adjusted completion rate -- just ahead of Mike Glennon -- and 22nd in yards per attempt. Fields' expected points added (EPA) per drop back was lower than any quarterback besides Zach Wilson. His best-case scenario would be a Bears offense that better utilizes his strengths. A bad 2022 could have the Bears itching for a new QB option.

https://theathletic.com/3207809/2022/03/25/justin-fields-2022-expectations-robert-quinns-trade-value-free-agent-wide-receivers-bears-mailbag/?source=emp_shared_article

Yeah I don’t see much about his throwing motion as lack of production. Looks like they are blaming Nagy and his offense which makes sense. If he doesn’t make any progress this year with a new staff then yeah it’s a red flag. Same goes for Zach Wilson in NYJ, Lawrence in Jax, and Lance in SF. 

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah I don’t see much about his throwing motion as lack of production. Looks like they are blaming Nagy and his offense which makes sense. If he doesn’t make any progress this year with a new staff then yeah it’s a red flag. Same goes for Zach Wilson in NYJ, Lawrence in Jax, and Lance in SF. 

I’m mobile for work today, I’ll post the article about his throwing motion and being to low causing fumbles later when I get back to the hotel room and on my computer. Sorry for the delay. 

just sharing content 

• Pie 2

12 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Fields in 2021 struggled mightily in Matt Nagy's inflexible, uncreative offense, ranking 37th in adjusted completion rate -- just ahead of Mike Glennon -- and 22nd in yards per attempt. Fields' expected points added (EPA) per drop back was lower than any quarterback besides Zach Wilson. 

Smaller program undersized QB struggling in the bigger, faster, stronger NFL. Who didn't see that coming? Oh yeah, all the pundits and scouts.

18 hours ago, BlueBuck24 said:

The quoted tweet we responded to was about the Bears *already* considering moving on from Fields. Your article says that they would have to consider that he may not be “the guy” if he struggles in 2022. Which, would make sense. But is not what we were responding to.

FWIW, my OSU sources have said the Bears are very excited about the flashes they saw from Fields this past year. They think a better coaching staff will help big time, and they are prepared to be patient. They’re in a bit of cap and asset hell right now so they may not be able to properly build around him until 2023, and things could change in a year, but they really like him in Chicago.

They were excited about Trubiskey as well…

20 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

And one more piece of draft related info...

Someone did an analysis of which teams have the most draft capital (point wise) and posted a list from top to bottom.

We're not as low on the list as you might think.

I'm not a big stats and points guy, but I still found this interesting.

Those are some historically bad franchises at the top of the draft capital chart. There's a definite correlation between draft resources and the inability to make use of them. The Giants shows how fast a team can fall from the heavens and become bottom dwellers.

• Beer 1

The “experts” claimed last year’s class of QB’s was loaded with first round talent…

Vince Vaughn Lol GIF by filmeditor

There’s six QB’s in this draft who I would definitely prefer over anyone not named Lawrence in last year’s draft. Four of whom will probably last until late first, early second round, which is why I prefer to trade back and pick up a pick or package a deal to move up to the top of the second round. 

• Pie 1

It's going to be interesting. This is where the evaluation talent comes into play. Lets hope with the new offensive staff they can spot what they need and know how they will make it work. I think you can get a young guy to play in your system and win it all, they just need enough killer instinct to seal the deal. Think Teddy Bridgewater, if he could have closed out some games with us by making some clutch plays in the 4th quarter, we win a lot more.  It doesn't always have to rely on the biggest arm and the most off platform throws. 

4 minutes ago, PanthersGTI said:

It's going to be interesting. This is where the evaluation talent comes into play. Lets hope with the new offensive staff they can spot what they need and know how they will make it work. I think you can get a young guy to play in your system and win it all, they just need enough killer instinct to seal the deal. Think Teddy Bridgewater, if he could have closed out some games with us by making some clutch plays in the 4th quarter, we win a lot more.  It doesn't always have to rely on the biggest arm and the most off platform throws. 

It takes more than a killer instinct to be a successful qb in the NFL.  The ability to lead guys older and more successful than said qb is the one thing that makes or breaks a rookie qb.

Talent only goes so far in the NFL.  Everyone is talented at this level. Being a leader that can get pros to follow you into battle is the real test. 

• Pie 4

Maybe we just take advantage of picking at 6, land a top tackle in possibly Neal which would be awesome.  

It is possible we love Howell or Ridder and may try to target one in a trade down, but its going to be hard to pull off.  

So then a third option--as the third round is going on, we trade up just a bit for Howell, Strong, Coan.  That capital lost would not be detrimental by any means.  Could be one of our extra 5ths and a 7th to move up 15-20 spots and land a potential QB.  It at least gives us someone to look forward to without losing out at the top with Rhule & Willis/Pickett/Corral/Ridder.

I feel like time is due for a 3rd-4th round sleeper QB to pop.  And it happens.  Wilson, Cousins.   Recent history hasn't been kind but maybe we find one in the most confusing QB class I've ever seen. 

• Pie 1

Athletic but questionable:

Willis, Ridder

Prototype (the T-Rex version) but is there anything special?

Pickett

All seems good from the outside, but why not higher?

Corral, Strong

Developmental/Long Shots

Coan, EJ Perry, Zappe, Glass

--

The one I'm missing in Howell is really the most-sound across the board.  I see the least worrisome traits in his game, hard to peg down really where he falls.  Had to get used to an awful line early on in his career and survived.

I'm game for a Round 1 Neal/Cross/Icky selection and following it up with a modest trade up for Howell that doesn't mortgage the future.