• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ted Nguyen analyzes Carson Strong...

Mr. Scot

I'll add that he's played a full season since the knee and ran at the combine.

Comes across as a hard worker that doesn't take anything for granted. Phill Simms loves his game too.

To me, if you need a QB, get the guy. None of anything with Strong could be as bad as Sam Darnold.

Strong said he grew up loving Payton Manning and Brett Favre. That's funny because I said on this site I could see Brett Favre in his game. Gunslinger.

From Dane Bruegel in the Athletic, additions to overviewing shared yesterday 

STRENGTHS: Tall passer and checks the size boxes ... strong, confident arm and not afraid to rip throws into quick-expiring windows ... has a natural feel for downfield touch on verticals ... puts too much air under deep passes but gives his receivers ample time to track the ball ... can work left-to-right progressions with tempo, and not shy taking the checkdown if available ... makes subtle, short steps in the pocket to navigate the rush ... coaches are able to open the playbook and add more to his plate midweek (former head coach Jay Norvell: “Very intelligent kid. He can handle volumes of information we give him.”) ... set the school record with 299 consecutive pass attempts without an interception (second-longest streak in MWC history) ... named a team captain ... is all over the Nevada passing record books, finishing third in school history in passing yards (730 behind Colin Kaepernick) and passing touchdowns (eight behind Kaepernick).

WEAKNESSES: Doesn’t have the quickness or escapability to consistently move the pocket once flushed ... not a threat to run (only 37 rushing yards in 2021, not including lost sack yardage) ... setup and release tend to lag, giving defenders a chance to jump throws ... too many throws have a low launch point ... relies too much on his arm and not enough on his hips or legs to drive throws ... doesn’t have the body twitch to accelerate his process when the walls close in ... needs to do a better job staying on schedule with his eyes and placement ... smart, but still very young (NFL scout: “He won’t be ready to run an NFL quarterback room for another year or two, at least.”) ... has been beaten up over his career, including a collarbone fracture in his first career start (August 2019) ... major durability concern relates to the health of his right knee — diagnosed with osteochondritis dissecans lesions (July 2017), where the cartilage detaches from the bone, requiring surgery and sidelining him for his senior year of high school; underwent another surgery (February 2021) to have cadaver cartilage added to his right knee; had an knee arthroscopy to clean scar tissue (August 2021) prior to his final season in college.

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Nevada, Strong played in former head coach Jay Norvell’s version of the air-raid offense and became the first player in school history to earn Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year (and he did it twice). Although his early season consistency in 2021 didn’t match his 2020 film, he rushed back from his offseason knee surgery (normally a 10-month recovery time), and that affected his performance. He still managed to set a school-record with 36 passing touchdowns as a junior. Strong has the arm talent to make the defense cover every inch of the field, and his velocity helps mask average anticipation with his reads. Aside from questions about his knee durability, his lower body fundamentals aren’t a strength to his game, as he lacks the foot quickness to easily move the pocket and regain his balance as a passer.

Overall, Strong has natural passing instincts and can rip throws all over the field when on schedule, but he is a limited play-extender with mixed results versus pressure that will limit his NFL ceiling unless addressed. As long as the medicals on his knee come back clean, he falls somewhere in the range of Mason Rudolph as an NFL prospect.

GRADE: 4th-5th Round

• Pie 1

You either see "it" or you don't. He's the best QB statistically. I can punch holes in anybody's game.

His strengths translate well. The guy can drop dimes into the hands of running men like no other in this draft 70% of the time. Average 348yrds per game.

He is going to light it up. He said he doesn't care if he's drafted in the first round or seventh round, he just wants to prove himself in the NFL. 

No entitlement detected 

37 minutes ago, jfo89 said:

I live on campus at UNR. Seeing him live I question his decision making. I think his throws into tight windows are interceptions in the NFL. 

That's the Brett Favre part of his game. It's scary at first until you realize he really can make those type of throws.

He has that Favre type armstrength and he chose the correct QBs to model his game after, Manning and Favre.

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

You either see "it" or you don't. He's the best QB statistically. I can punch holes in anybody's game.

His strengths translate well. The guy can drop dimes into the hands of running men like no other in this draft 70% of the time. Average 348yrds per game.

He is going to light it up. He said he doesn't care if he's drafted in the first round or seventh round, he just wants to prove himself in the NFL. 

No entitlement detected 

It’s ok to like someone.  A lot of the ‘experts’  miss

i like Dane’s write up because I believe them to be fair   The full write ups on the other QBs are very balanced as well 

4th rd, if there, Panthers might take the chance 

I’m like, with Darnold and Walker in the QB room, why not 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, rippadonn said:

That's the Brett Favre part of his game. It's scary at first until you realize he really can make those type of throws.

He has that Favre type armstrength and he chose the correct QBs to model his game after, Manning and Favre.

He has a good arm, but I wouldn’t relate it to Favre. Willis’s arm is stronger, Howell’s might be too. Strong’s is definitely above average, but I wouldn’t call it elite or anything. 

10 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

He has a good arm, but I wouldn’t relate it to Favre. Willis’s arm is stronger, Howell’s might be too. Strong’s is definitely above average, but I wouldn’t call it elite or anything. 

Willis isn't as accurate. Howell isn't as accurate. The combination of above average armstrength and most importantly above average accuracy puts him closer to elite in my eyes. It's not easy to put up the numbers he has as consistently as he has, again nobody among the frontrunners has put up 70% completion percentage 2years in a row. That's elite production wether he gets credit for that from the pundits or not. Willis has unrealized potential that may never be realized much like Cam. Being a pocket passer before anything else bodes well transitioning to the NFL. Supposedly Fields and Wilson had all this potential but ultimately were totally outclassed by cheesey Mac. When these dual threat QBS get to the NFL they're often in need of a rebuild necessarily or unnecessarily. Pocket passers are plug and play for the most part, like Mac. Strong definitely has Favre's mentality though and the arm to back it up.

We have to value guys playing the position as intended. Those guys win Superbowls.

Kyle Trask went high second round, Carson to me is a better QB because of his gunslinger mentality and his ability to actually make those scary throws. Carson's arm is slightly better. Trask is a bigger body though.

I just can't see Carson dropping much further than the second with a high possibility(rumors) of Denver drafting him late first.

We have our Alex Smith's in this draft and our Aaron Rodgers in this draft. Hope the Panthers have the testicles to say no to the hype and trust the data.

Strong 2022!