• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hey let's start the new years resolution to get in shape early!

Fiz

Month 11 of last year's new years resolution is almost complete... Been steady at 17 pounds of muscle gained for a few months now.

<< Can bench press all of you

That is really good Jase.....besides working out, what else did you do? My son is wanting to beef up and although he is working out a lot, he can't seem to put on pounds. He is only 16 and I refuse to let him have supplements.

That is really good Jase.....besides working out, what else did you do? My son is wanting to beef up and although he is working out a lot, he can't seem to put on pounds. He is only 16 and I refuse to let him have supplements.

don't let him if he's obviously still growing.

if he's as tall as he's going to get, there's really not much you can do. He has to fill out naturally. Most people don't hit their physical stride until their mid twenties, it's just that they've become completely sedentary by then and it doesn't matter.

there's really not much harm in protein shakes, but at his age there isn't much point either. just make sure (and this is if he's still growing. if he's 5'2 with size 13 feet he's not done) he eats a healthy diet, high protein, lots of good calories.

but honestly being a full time student + homework really doesn't lend itself to serious working out. the time commitment as well as diet dedication is really hard to do, especially when you've been at class all day and OH MY GOD A BAG OF OREOS

Not much really. I've found that the "want to" to get stronger and push the extra rep or two does more good than anything.

Also, not taking time off. If I skip two workouts, it seems like I'm making up for a month's worth of work when I come back.

(For the record, I might have gained 17 pounds but I still look like a skinny f*cker)

Last month noticed the big boy pants fit a bit tight.

Stepped on the office scale (almost never weigh myself) and noticed I'd picked up 10 extra. Work out every day, but when it gets colder I snarf WAAAAY more food.

The eat less/portion control + exercise harder/longer has resulted in the ten pounds going away and pants are loose again.

Thank you "eat less, exercise more", you are a miracle!!!!!!11111eleventyonephysiologyisfun.

I'm currently 6'4 and about 240. I'm pretty muscular and I'm happy with how my arm's and lower legs look but it seems as though the chub buildup for me loves to occur at the midsection, upper legs, and around the neck/face. I'm not looking to get any more muscular or bigger but instead want to drop the spare tire around my abs/midsection while trimiming up the rest of my body a bit. Should I even be doing any lifting or should I focus my efforts entirely on cardio? I like to run and have no problem hopping on the treadmill and cranking out a 5k but I want to know that my efforts are going towards my goal and aren't fruitless.

I'm currently 6'4 and about 240. I'm pretty muscular and I'm happy with how my arm's and lower legs look but it seems as though the chub buildup for me loves to occur at the midsection, upper legs, and around the neck/face. I'm not looking to get any more muscular or bigger but instead want to drop the spare tire around my abs/midsection while trimiming up the rest of my body a bit. Should I even be doing any lifting or should I focus my efforts entirely on cardio? I like to run and have no problem hopping on the treadmill and cranking out a 5k but I want to know that my efforts are going towards my goal and aren't fruitless.

I could be wrong but I think if you start doing too much cardio you will lose some of that muscle...maybe mix in a 30 minute cardio and try not to get your heart rate past 130 every other workout or every workout.

I could be wrong but I think if you start doing too much cardio you will lose some of that muscle...maybe mix in a 30 minute cardio and try not to get your heart rate past 130 every other workout or every workout.

I don't think I'll lose the muscle I have now, Its mostly pretty natural (luck of the gene pool I guess) and I don't really lift as it is now (other than some curls and benching maybe once a week if that... pretty slack I know).

Funnily enough I'm like the opposite of some of my similarly tall friends. They couldn't put on weight to save their lives but they are beanpoles. Myself on the other hand, can pack on the pounds (and muscle) without a problem. Its all in the metabolism I guess...I honestly wouldn't care if I lost just a little size in my biceps/triceps in exchange for a much trimmer midsection.

I don't think I'll lose the muscle I have now, Its mostly pretty natural (luck of the gene pool I guess) and I don't really lift as it is now (other than some curls and benching maybe once a week if that... pretty slack I know).

Funnily enough I'm like the opposite of some of my similarly tall friends. They couldn't put on weight to save their lives but they are beanpoles. Myself on the other hand, can pack on the pounds (and muscle) without a problem. Its all in the metabolism I guess...I honestly wouldn't care if I lost just a little size in my biceps/triceps in exchange for a much trimmer midsection.

then I think cardio is your best friend...I would recommend to keep lifting in your workout but cardio and (not sure how your diet is), a better diet would probably fix your problem. But consistency is your best friend unless you want that weight to come back.

this from a guy who is not consistent at all with his workouts:D

Archived