• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How dangerous is Willis as a runner? What makes him special?

micnificent28

1 hour ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

Running 20MPH isn't a great gauge of football speed Josh Norman was clocked north of 22mph and he was a 4.7 guy.

I well whatever you want to gage it at. It's the same times that kyler Murray has been clocked at. Show me where norman has been clocked at 22.

2 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I well whatever you want to gage it at. It's the same times that kyler Murray has been clocked at. Show me where norman has been clocked at 22.

It’s all about game speed. If he was recorded as the fastest in college football that says something. Running in a straight line for the 40 time doesn’t really matter. Willis can accelerate and cut very quickly, which is how he makes his runs. I have no clue what is top speed could be running in a straight line with no pads, but that’s not really as relevant as his in game speed and acceleration, right? 

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

It’s all about game speed. If he was recorded as the fastest in college football that says something. Running in a straight line for the 40 time doesn’t really matter. Willis can accelerate and cut very quickly, which is how he makes his runs. I have no clue what is top speed could be running in a straight line with no pads, but that’s not really as relevant as his in game speed and acceleration, right? 

Oh I agree I'm just addressing those who question his speed.

On 4/4/2022 at 9:26 PM, micnificent28 said:

I feel like people seem to underrate Willis's ability as a runner... I see lazy comparisons to Johnny football guys who run a 4.7. People have a hard to comparing Willis to a guy because we really have never seen a guy with his blend of skills. This writer has him top 5 all-time as a runner from the position. If your that good at something that makes you special.

He's not Vick or Jackson elite speed,but he's faster than Josh allen and Russell Wilson. He runs with a power neither of those guys can come close 2(vick and jackson).Willis was second in broken tackles last season with legs like tree trunks its not hard to see why. 

Screenshot_20220404-150436_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9a601f8868c712da0737b340d788e2c2.jpgInteresting read up on QB1 

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/article/nfl-draft-analysis/2022-nfl-draft-rankings-qb1-malik-willis

QBs are supposed to THROW the football, not RUN it!

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, micnificent28 said:

🤣 ah yes old school 101... Basically the world was flat until it wasn't..

No, basically teams with throwing RBs have never and will never win in the NFL. It's a passing league now. You can't make a duck into a chicken. You are the one living in the flat world if you think the answer is running the ball with your QB. Should we bring in the old Wishbone offense?

Football Line GIF by JMUDukes

33 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

No, basically teams with throwing RBs have never and will never win in the NFL. It's a passing league now. You can't make a duck into a chicken. You are the one living in the flat world if you think the answer is running the ball with your QB. Should we bring in the old Wishbone offense?

Football Line GIF by JMUDukes

Loaded teams win Super Bowls. The QBs have been Flaco, Foles, old Peyton, and Stafford who couldn’t win a playoff game with his old team. They gave Russ (who was a runner) an elite defense and he won one. You definitely have to be able to throw/read defenses but this myth that only pocket passers win the Super Bowl is silly. Why couldn’t Marino or Rivers even win one? They were great pocket passers. We can trade for Foles if you would like? He was a pocket passer who recently won. 

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Sometimes you gotta run a bit to throw it. A lot of today's top QBs are really good at throwing on the move.

I agree with this. But I don't think that's what this thread is about. It's about having your QB run for 800 yards a season and drafting him because he can do that when he can't throw very well. 

5 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Loaded teams win Super Bowls. The QBs have been Flaco, Foles, old Peyton, and Stafford who couldn’t win a playoff game with his old team. They gave Russ (who was a runner) an elite defense and he won one. You definitely have to be able to throw/read defenses but this myth that only pocket passers win the Super Bowl is silly. Why couldn’t Marino or Rivers even win one? They were great pocket passers. We can trade for Foles if you would like? He was a pocket passer who recently won. 

I didn't say only pocket passers. But a QB should be able to throw from the pocket most of the time and run to extend plays or when nothing is there. Running for over 2000 yds in 2 seasons is not throwing the ball very much. 

Throw first and run to throw later and if all else fails run down field. That's what Wilson does. He's a mobile QB, not a running QB. See the difference?

My photo over on the left is a mobile QB but not a running QB. Mobile QBs are great. Running QBs are not. That's my point. I don't know why people can't understand the difference. Willis is a running QB, not a mobile QB. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule

21 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

I didn't say only pocket passers. But a QB should be able to throw from the pocket most of the time and run to extend plays or when nothing is there. Running for over 2000 yds in 2 seasons is not throwing the ball very much. 

Throw first and run to throw later and if all else fails run down field. That's what Wilson does. He's a mobile QB, not a running QB. See the difference?

My photo over on the left is a mobile QB but not a running QB. Mobile QBs are great. Running QBs are not. That's my point. I don't know why people can't understand the difference. Willis is a running QB, not a mobile QB. 

Because the QBs with the top rushing yards of all time aren’t considered “running” QBs. It’s a dumb argument to single out a select few QBs. Willis did what Howell did last year. He ran after his first read because his OL was crumbling. Cam was a running QB that took a weak offense the Super Bowl and was let down by his bad OL trying to stop an elite defense. You can win with both. Willis has the strongest arm in this class and you don’t think the team that drafts him wants to take advantage of that? He should be used like a Allen, McNair, Cam, or McNabb was. These QBs with a ton of rushing yards have those yards typically because that’s what their OC calls to take advantage of their full set of skills. We had specific running plays called for Cam like Buffalo does for Allen and Baltimore for Lamar. All QBs with decent careers in the NFL can throw from the pocket fine (especially MVPs). They will just run the plays their coaches are calling. 
I know you are a Pickett fan and I think he is a good prospect as well. I’m just not going to discredit a player like Willis because he had to run to make plays on an offense with a weak OL and questionable talent around him. Malik had similar passing yards as Cam did at Auburn with 3 less passing TDs. He can pass the ball just needs some more developing. 

• Pie 1