• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic's Ted Nguyen scouts Kenny Pickett

Mr. Scot

5 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I think Pickett's ceiling is significantly higher than Jones' because of athleticism. I also think his arm strength is better but that's hard to evaluate (the relative difference in skill of the people they were throwing to and playing against makes it really hard for me to judge what I've seen of either of them LOL)

Anyway these are their RAS profiles.. 

Kent Lee Platte on Twitter: "Mac Jones is a QB prospect in the 2021 draft  class. He scored a 5.87 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 333 out of  803

Kenny Pickett:

Kent Lee Platte on Twitter: "Kenny Pickett is a QB prospect in the 2022  draft class. He scored an unofficial 9.27 RAS at the Combine out of a  possible 10.00. This ranked

Oh I agree he's a much better athlete than Jones. I was only commenting on I guess arm talent? His arm might be better than Jones but it's hard to tell the difference at this point. If I had them side by side I go Pickett..

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Whether he is a system QB or not is only relevant if he is in the wrong system. He tends to fit what we have done for the past 2 years and with McAdoo likely having a lot of say on who we pick, we should get a guy who either fits in our system or is adaptable. Pickett is the most pro ready and has the best mechanics. He would be our Mac Jones and that got NE a winning record last year. That would be great and if he can't take us to the promised land Fitterer already said we would swing again next year. Then we get a starter and backup on rookie deals.

Mac Jones did have the 2nd toughest schedule in all of college football his big season.   

Pickett faced the 6th toughest out of the ACC schools (37th overall)

I don’t think he is as pro ready as Mac.  Plus a lot of Mac being pro ready was simply being in NE with one of the best staffs in football.  Which isn’t what our guy will have.  Mac wouldn’t of been the same dude IMO under Rhule as Bill.  NE won with Cassell, found a way with a broken down Cam and a depleted roster, etc.  NE gets the best out of guys via coaching.  

• Pie 2

In my opinion QBs ceilings are almost impossible to get an accurate read on unless they have an absolute noodle arm.  The people coming up with most of these ideas of qbs ceilings are basing it entirely on elite arm strength or their speed.  Neither of those things is used especially often and Pickett is actually above average to good on both of those traits anyways.  Flashy plays in college doesnt neccesarily equal a much higher ceiling.

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

Mac Jones did have the 2nd toughest schedule in all of college football his big season.   

Pickett faced the 6th toughest out of the ACC schools (37th overall)

I don’t think he is as pro ready as Mac.  Plus a lot of Mac being pro ready was simply being in NE with one of the best staffs in football.  Which isn’t what our guy will have.  Mac wouldn’t of been the same dude IMO under Rhule as Bill.  NE won with Cassell, found a way with a broken down Cam and a depleted roster, etc.  NE gets the best out of guys via coaching.  

Mac Jones also had a ton of NFL talent around him. In fact, he always played for the most talented team on the field.  Which is why it is so difficult to predict who will be an NFL success and who will not.  Every situation is different.  Personally, I think Pickett has a 1 in 4 chance of being a successful NFL qb.  Which is actually a fairly high number.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

In my opinion QBs ceilings are almost impossible to get an accurate read on unless they have an absolute noodle arm.  The people coming up with most of these ideas of qbs ceilings are basing it entirely on elite arm strength or their speed.  Neither of those things is used especially often and Pickett is actually above average to good on both of those traits anyways.  Flashy plays in college doesnt neccesarily equal a much higher ceiling.

I think putting a for sure number on anyone's potential or draft grade is impossible. But it's someone's job to do it because choices have to be made. If I'm going to take a guess on a guy because I have 2 it will be a educated guess with numbers to back it up.

That's all this is.. someone educated guess which I think is better than a gut feeling or the Ole he looks good with the eyeball.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I really don’t understand the Pickett hate. It’s like Mac Jones all over again… He is a solid prospect IMO. 

I agree

2 hours ago, Louie said:

I'm going out on a limb here. I will own it if he fails. I think Pickett is going to be the best QB in this draft class, not just this season, but for years to come. I hope we draft him, tbh.

I'll join you. I agree

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

but his comparatively low ceiling  

The thing with him is that his elite traits are accuracy and anticipation (hence the comments about not having anything that isn't coachable), and he's just good to great in every other category.  So he's a good prospect, but not the kind of guy that, even if he pans out, you expect to become one of the top 3 QBs in the NFL.

I think this new concept of high ceilings is used to elevate players who didn't play as well as others. 

In the NFL, ceilings are not judged by how far you can throw or how fast you can run like they are at the draft. Ceilings are judged by how many games it looks like you can win not only now but moving forward. 

A great example of this is Mac Jones. At the draft time, his ceiling was very low. What's his ceiling now? Now, it's he could be a QB to make NE a playoff contender again. I'd say that ceiling has moved up a lot. I read people on here all the time saying what we all know is true, Mac Jones was the best rookie last season. System QBs can win a lot of games. Brady is a system QB too. TB won the SB running the same offense Brady ran in NE more or less after Brady made them change it when they risked not making the playoffs.  

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

I think Pickett's ceiling is significantly higher than Jones' because of athleticism. I also think his arm strength is better but that's hard to evaluate (the relative difference in skill of the people they were throwing to and playing against makes it really hard for me to judge what I've seen of either of them LOL)

Anyway these are their RAS profiles.. 

Kent Lee Platte on Twitter: "Mac Jones is a QB prospect in the 2021 draft  class. He scored a 5.87 RAS out of a possible 10.00. This ranked 333 out of  803

Kenny Pickett:

Kent Lee Platte on Twitter: "Kenny Pickett is a QB prospect in the 2022  draft class. He scored an unofficial 9.27 RAS at the Combine out of a  possible 10.00. This ranked

Yes, this. People always talk about athleticism being important and Pickett is EXTREMELY athletic and yet I never hear people in the media raving about his high ceiling because of his elite athleticism but they do for other prospects.  Pickett is an elite athlete and yet he gets no credit for it. He's the only elite athlete in this draft who has a lower ceiling than others who have a higher ceiling because of their elite athleticism . If they compare them all as elite athletes then they have to talk about elite accuracy and mechanics and being the most NFL ready or the best scheme fit for Carolina. That would make the best or right QB debates go away. 

42 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

In the NFL, high ceilings are judged by how many games you can win. 

Seth Meyers No GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 3

29 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Mac Jones also had a ton of NFL talent around him. In fact, he always played for the most talented team on the field.  Which is why it is so difficult to predict who will be an NFL success and who will not.  Every situation is different.  Personally, I think Pickett has a 1 in 4 chance of being a successful NFL qb.  Which is actually a fairly high number.  

That's also why Bryce Young worries me a little bit as a prospect.  It's hard to evaluate Alabama QBs with their NFL OL/RB/WRs every year....

This is what we know about Kenny Pickett.  He has shown he can play the game at a very high level in a Power 5 conference without a loaded roster.  He made a big jump from his previous years (which to me means he put in the time to get better at this craft.  This is essential to have a successful NFL QB IMO.  The greats are always trying to get better.)  He has good speed for the position and uses it to extend plays and has an average NFL arm (this isn't a negative or a positive just average).  He seems to be one of the better QBs at going through his progressions/reading defenses last yet.  

He only had one great year and his hands are 3/8 of a inch smaller than Burrow's are his negatives.  I would be more concerned if he was Jordan Love with one good year not being his most recent one.  I think he is a decent prospect and if he build properly around him (like almost any QB) we can have success with him.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

I want to see the Ridder eval. 

https://theathletic.com/podcast/211-the-athletic-football-show/?episode=364

This dude loves Ridder.  Acknowledges that even at the very best he is just a slightly above average nfl starter.

He eviscerates Howell and Willis.  goes into a lot of detail about hey they shouldnt be 1rst round prospects.  He is meh on Pickett as well

Great listen