• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Athletic's Ted Nguyen scouts Kenny Pickett

Mr. Scot

Let me talk about Malik Willis here…watching his tape is hilarious.  Much of the time it is hike, take two steps and bail the pocket.  I don’t even know what to evaluate as a passer.  He isn’t reading anything that isn’t pure chance as a QB.  There isn’t any proof he understands defenses, and certainly not good defenses.  Strange because his athleticism is eye popping at times but he is more a RB guessing at QB.  If he is great in the NFL it will be a miracle.  I don’t see it happening 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Admiral Ackbar said:

So much of the success of a young QB is situation and luck. "Evaluators" are like Weathermen, they make educated guesses about a outcome that may or may not be true.

I do commend the front office this offseason, they have built a offense that does put a talented rookie (which Pickett is) in a position to excel. It'll just be on him or whoever we draft, if we draft a QB at all.

Time will tell

I wish they'd done that last offseason.

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Replace Pickett with Bridgewater and read the article.

Basically Teddy but he's gonna try to force some throws and get a few more picks. If he bails that easily from the pocket in college he's gonna have a rough first season in the NFL

• Beer 1

The Teddy Bridgewater and Kenny Pickett comparisons are just lazy and bad.

Maybe they are both viewed as accurate but that's about it.  While Pickett might not have an "elite" arm most are saying its above average, at the very least it's not a negative.  Teddy on the other hand, by many accounts, was considered to have a below average arm.  

Also Teddy is one of the most risk adverse QBs you will find, to a fault at times.  Whereas Pickett, at least in his senior year, was more than just a game manager.

While I might not call it a "cannon" this narrative that he is some unathletic, weak armed, game manager type is just wrong.

None of this guarantees he will have any kind of sucess at the next level, and I'm not even sure if I would spend the #6 pick on him, but its pretty obvious there are a lot of people in this forum who have really never seen him play.

• Pie 5

There are physical ceilings 

There are mental ceilings

It’s easy to measure and observe physical abilities and compare against others. It’s much harder to do the same for the mental processing players need to do.

What shouldn’t be discredited is a QB who has proven to be able to read and process defences, then make good decisions on where to attack it. If that were simply “coachable” then we should have a tonne of great QBs in the NFL, which we don’t.

Teddy isn’t a good example of that as he falls back to not attacking, he takes safe options almost every time.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Maybe they are both viewed as accurate but that's about it.  While Pickett might not have an "elite" arm most are saying its above average, at the very least it's not a negative.  Teddy on the other hand, by many accounts, was considered to have a below average arm.  

Also Teddy is one of the most risk adverse QBs you will find, to a fault at times.  Whereas Pickett, at least in his senior year, was more than just a game manager.

While I might not call it a "cannon" this narrative that he is some unathletic, weak armed, game manager type is just wrong.

None of this guarantees he will have any kind of sucess at the next level, and I'm not even sure if I would spend the #6 pick on him, but its pretty obvious there are a lot of people in this forum who have really never seen him play.

And how many Pitt games did you watch this season?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I really don’t understand the Pickett hate. It’s like Mac Jones all over again… He is a solid prospect IMO. 

More like Zach Wilson going higher than he should if top ten.

Remember, Wilson got all the hype, he was the next coming and wasn't. 

Mac got ignored. Pickett is getting all the attention, oddly.

10 hours ago, Louie said:

I'm going out on a limb here. I will own it if he fails. I think Pickett is going to be the best QB in this draft class, not just this season, but for years to come. I hope we draft him, tbh.

With a name like Pickett, he'll be a hall of famer.

Edited by pantherclaw

4 hours ago, AU-panther said:

The more I've watched Pickett, the more I'm concluding his arm problems have a lot to do with mechanics. He far too often gets bouncy, and throws off his back foot or throws on the run. When he sets his feet and stands tall in the pocket he can send it. He doesn't have an elite arm by any means, but I wouldn't say it's weak either.

9 hours ago, rippadonn said:

More like Zach Wilson going higher than he should if top ten.

Remember, Wilson got all the hype, he was the next coming and wasn't. 

Mac got ignored. Pickett is getting all the attention, oddly.

I think everyone thought Mac was going 3 to the Niners. Then this board freaked out because they thought we might draft him. I was one of the ones who didn’t want him too. 
I think Willis is getting the attention in this class and I see why. He has a lot of potential. 

10 hours ago, AU-panther said:

"but his ceiling isn't very high"

GIF by joelremygif

16 hours ago, CRA said:

Mac Jones did have the 2nd toughest schedule in all of college football his big season.   

Pickett faced the 6th toughest out of the ACC schools (37th overall)

I don’t think he is as pro ready as Mac.  Plus a lot of Mac being pro ready was simply being in NE with one of the best staffs in football.  Which isn’t what our guy will have.  Mac wouldn’t of been the same dude IMO under Rhule as Bill.  NE won with Cassell, found a way with a broken down Cam and a depleted roster, etc.  NE gets the best out of guys via coaching.  

It is easy to play the comparison game with speculation that can't be proven one way or the other. Sure Mac had a tough schedule but he also had the best supporting cast in Alabama as well.  Not saying you are wrong that Jones would have done better in New England than here but it doesn't really matter since our OC is new and we don't know with our upgrades if we will be better. Pickett if he is our guy will be in a decent  situation with good weapons and improved line play. 

Edited by panthers55

10 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Nice points with the data to back it up. I’m sure it will be countered with lazy Dalton comparisons and the ole eye test.

Huddle Update- if a QB doesn’t have Rodger’s arm strength he is Teddy Bridgewater. If a QB is athletic and had a lot of rushing yards he is Tarvaris Jackson. 

7 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Nice points with the data to back it up. I’m sure it will be countered with lazy Dalton comparisons and the ole eye test.

Huddle Update- if a QB doesn’t have Rodger’s arm strength he is Teddy Bridgewater. If a QB is athletic and had a lot of rushing yards he is Tarvaris Jackson. 

The average huddle QB "evaluator"

spacer.png