• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will drafting a rookie QB save Rhule?

firefox1234

It's possible. If he drafts a rookie and that rookie shows promise and we show improvement on the field and get to around .500ish and legitimately compete for a playoff berth while improving throughout the season then yeah, I think that would buy him another year. And honestly I'm alright with that. In that case I honestly think he would've earned that.

But do I think drafting a rookie should automatically give him a bye for this season? Hell no. He should absolutely be coaching for his job this year.

Rhule gets Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Darnold, Pickett/Willis/Corral drafted + Vet starts, Fired.... new coach comes in. Trades QB. Drafts another 1st round QB.

I've seen this before. College coach comes into NFL gets free agent journeyman who isn't clutch in year 1, 1st round struggling QB with hope fails year 2, QB drafted and sits while new vet mentor starts, FIRED... new coach comes in. Trades drafted QB for another 1st round QB. Where?

Riley gets Jim Harbaugh, Ryan Leaf, Brees drafted/Flutie starts, Fired... new coach comes in. Trades Brees. Drafts Rivers.

Here we go again. Does anyone ever learn from history?

• Pie 1

About drafting and starting a QB in a weak QB draft:

Last year was considered a deep draft at QB, with 5 going in the first fifteen picks.

• Trev Lawrence 3600 yards, 12 TDs, 17 Ints.   PFF grade 59.6
  • Zach Wilson  2300 yards, 9 TDs, 11 Ints.  PFF grade 59.3
  • Justin Fields 1900 yards, 7 TDs, 10  Ints, PFF grade 64.2
  • Mac Jones 3800 yards, 22 TDs, 13 Ints, PFF grade 79.3

The top 4 QBs to play much last year (picks 1, 2, 11, and 15 of the first round) combined for 50 TDs and 51 Ints.

So does this mean that NFL prognosticators were wrong and this draft class was over-hyped?  If so, could this year's group be under-hyped?  Could the following actually outperform the 2021 class during their rookie seasons?:

• Pickett
  • Willis
  • Corral
  • Howell

Are they destined to be worse that the "deep" QB class of 2021?  Could they be?

MY THEORY:  I think this demonstrates one thing:  You need a supporting cast to play QB in the NFL.  The first two picks are the worst QB performance because they went to the worst teams--the Jags and the Jets. The Bears drafted 11th, and Fields' numbers were not good, but his PFF score was higher than the #1 and #2 overall pick.  The fourth QB listed (I did not include Lance because the Niners were not the third worst team but had the third pick--they did not play Lance enough to qualify-but when he did play--5 TDs vs. 2 Ints with a 59.9 PFF rating)   went to a team picking in the middle of the first round, and he had the best numbers by far.  He also had a decent defense and a coach willing to design an offense to cater to his QBs strengths and weaknesses.  When there was a game vs. the powerhouse Bills in a wet, very windy environment in Buffalo, the coach--knowing that Jones' arm is not very strong-ran the ball all but 3 offensive plays.  Bill B. willed his QB to a successful season, and even though his skills were far behind the gifted QBs that were drafted ahead of him, he was far more successful.  He was on a better team with a better defense, allowing him to manage games instead of (like Cam did for us) carry the team.  Do we have the staff to do this? Do we have the protection up front and the defense?  In other words, how well the QB grades out on film and at pro days is not as important as when he is put into the system and his role with the team is defined.  That is why some of the best QBs in college bust, and some of the QBs drafted late (Joe Montana, Russell Wilson, Tom Brady) do well--they went to teams that knew how to maximize their skill set and keep them in situations they could manage. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3