• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will drafting a rookie QB save Rhule?

firefox1234

Will drafting a QB whether it be Pickett, Willis, or maybe Corrall really save Rhule? We went 6-10 in Cam’s rookie year and no one in this draft is even close to Cam in talent.

We are probably not Jaguars bad who went 3-14 with Lawrence, but I am having a hard time seeing us do significantly better than 5-12 with one of these rookie QBs.

Unless one of them is hidden diamond and shows it out of the gates, I can’t see Rhule getting the necessary record to justify giving him a fourth year.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, BurnNChinn said:

We all knew this was a possibility, Tepper should have known that as well. I think it definitely gives him a pass which is why Tepper should have fired him and let the new coach pick his qb. But nothing Tepper has done for this team so far has made since. JS

But why should it give Rhule a pass?

If year 3 is gonna be similar to year 1 and 2 then that is pretty depressing. RR at least had the luck and hindsight to get his QB early and build from their. Rhule has fumbled the most important position twice in a row and now Tepper is supposed to convince us those were just mulligans now that Rhule has a rookie QB?

Rhule's year 3 in college were good years--let's see how he is in the pros. 

Man I wish I had a simple answer to this question.  Remember the bad weather game that the Patriots won against Buffalo and they threw the ball only 3 times?  That was Bill B. protecting Mac Jones from his weakness--no arm strength in the wind. That is a great example of a coach understanding the limitations of his QB.  I think that game sent a message to coaches with young QBs.

The OL we are drafting?  All good in the run game. RB Foreman?  A pounder between the tackles.  I see a strong run game, play action passes, slants, and a lot of screen passes in the young QB's future.  So I think there is a way to bring a young QB along while he is starting.  Our defense needs to step up--that is huge, but if we can stay in every game, we can win them.  Not ideal, I know. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Rhule's year 3 in college were good years--let's see how he is in the pros. 

Man I wish I had a simple answer to this question.  Remember the bad weather game that the Patriots won against Buffalo and they threw the ball only 3 times?  That was Bill B. protecting Mac Jones from his weakness--no arm strength in the wind. That is a great example of a coach understanding the limitations of his QB.  I think that game sent a message to coaches with young QBs.

The OL we are drafting?  All good in the run game. RB Foreman?  A pounder between the tackles.  I see a strong run game, play action passes, slants, and a lot of screen passes in the young QB's future.  So I think there is a way to bring a young QB along while he is starting.  Our defense needs to step up--that is huge, but if we can stay in every game, we can win them.  Not ideal, I know. 

We will definitely need to rely on our defense. But has our D gotten better than last year? I love our off season moves so far especially on the OL. However, I don’t know if this defense can carry the day like last season and I can’t confidently say our offense won’t need carrying, especially if we draft a rookie QB.

I think it is a long shot at best.  One possible scenario would be we still have a sub .500 record but the kid plays with his hair on fire, wins OROY and creates a lot of excitement.    Might keep Rhule because all things look positive, previous issues more or less corrected, you definitely have momentum and can see the window opening. 

But this is a long-shot in my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I think it is a long shot at best.  One possible scenario would be we still have a sub .500 record but the kid plays with his hair on fire, wins OROY and creates a lot of excitement.    Might keep Rhule because all things look positive, previous issues more or less corrected, you definitely have momentum and can see the window opening. 

But this is a long-shot in my opinion. 

For a rookie QB in our team to win OROY he will probably have to put rookie Cam like numbers and I doubt many would complain if we allowed Rhule another season to build around that prospect even if we finished sub 500. At least for another year….

But just as you said, it is highly unlikely.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, firefox1234 said:

There probably isn’t a better place for a rookie QB to land than NE. I wish I could say the same about here…

I agree. He went to the perfect place for his style of ball. It'd why Jimmy G looked good there and was successful. I dunno.. I think if the line holds up and you have cmc.. you could have success in carolina.

22 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

But why should it give Rhule a pass?

If year 3 is gonna be similar to year 1 and 2 then that is pretty depressing. RR at least had the luck and hindsight to get his QB early and build from their. Rhule has fumbled the most important position twice in a row and now Tepper is supposed to convince us those were just mulligans now that Rhule has a rookie QB?

Idk I have to ask Tepper, he don’t talk. Nothing he had done has made since imo 

41 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Will drafting a QB whether it be Pickett, Willis, or maybe Corrall really save Rhule? We went 6-10 in Cam’s rookie year and no one in this draft is even close to Cam in talent.

We are probably not Jaguars bad who went 3-14 with Lawrence, but I am having a hard time seeing us do significantly better than 5-12 with one of these rookie QBs.

Unless one of them is hidden diamond and shows it out of the gates, I can’t see Rhule getting the necessary record to justify giving him a fourth year.

This team is overall way better than 2011. While you can’t win a SB without a great qb, you can definitely win 8-9 games